Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

i am going on the star princess on may17th , i heard princess leaves from pier 91 ,my 2 hotels im looking at is comfort suites or court yards by marriott,i want to see the space needle.how far is the pier ? and do any of the hotels have shuttle service to the pier?whats the price of the cabs?from airport and to the pier thanks!:D

Comfort Suites is 3-4 miles from Terminal 91, Courtyard about 2 miles farther than that. Space Needle 3/4 mile from Comfort Suites, 1-1.5 from Courtyard. I believe that the Courtyard still has a shuttle, but the Terminal may be outside the mileage limit that they will drop you....would have to check with the hotel directly.

Taxi from airport to either of the hotels $40-50 for two people, exclusive of gratuity and fuel surcharge. From hotel to cruise terminal $15 give or take, again for two exclusive of gratuity and fuel surcharge.

Okay, I probably should just know this answer as this is cruise #16. I have never cruised out of Seattle, however. US Air :D has now changed my flight for the 4th time and now has me leaving Seattle at 11:20 a.m. on Sunday the 17th of May. I have never booked a return flight that early although on many, many of my cruises I could have made that time. (I can only recall sweating catching a flight which was at @ 1:30 when we were detained in San Juan upon our return because of a bomb scare on the ship which delayed getting off).

So, my choices are the 11:20 a.m. to Philly nonstop or the red eye leaving around 10:25 p.m.

Has anyone actually made a flight leaving that early? Should I chance it and hope that if I don't make the 11:20 they put me on their code share flight with United (which they won't do now because I'm using FF miles :D) Any input is appreciated.

Your can keep your fingers crossed, because that won't change your skin color, but don't hold you breath, because that will. Chances of making it are slim, but not TOTALLY hopeless.......

It means doing the self disembarkation, which means you handle all of your luggage yourself with no help either on the ship or on shore. Then you have to make it to the taxi queue and stand there for however long it takes to get a cab. If you're both strong and lucky, you might make it by the 9:20 that you will have to be there to check in for your 11:20 flight, but it is really a crap shoot. Sorry.....

I knew the answer, of course, but I am so torn about having to wait around for the red eye. If that is the case, do you know of some place that will hold luggage for the day without getting a hotel room? I booked my air as early as I could for this cruise and it seems like that was my biggest mistake as I've had change after change!!!

Karen - thanks for all your Seattle info. We have never been there (there will be 8 of us) and reading your info has helped us plan our couple of days there immensely!

Karen, I discovered I have enough AMEX points to pay for two hotel nights hotel lodging so

1. What are a couple that are best for walking to Pike Market, Space Needle, Ducks and Underground tour?

2. Best and/or cheapest way from the airport to that area and also from

that hotel area to Pier 91.

Thanks so much,

Karen too

I knew the answer, of course, but I am so torn about having to wait around for the red eye. If that is the case, do you know of some place that will hold luggage for the day without getting a hotel room? I booked my air as early as I could for this cruise and it seems like that was my biggest mistake as I've had change after change!!!

Karen - thanks for all your Seattle info. We have never been there (there will be 8 of us) and reading your info has helped us plan our couple of days there immensely!

There is a place at the airport, I think it is called "Tom's" maybe. Or the concierge at the pier will hold it for you til about 3:00 pm for $3 per bag, but you can't be late picking it up.

Karen, I discovered I have enough AMEX points to pay for two hotel nights hotel lodging so

1. What are a couple that are best for walking to Pike Market, Space Needle, Ducks and Underground tour?

2. Best and/or cheapest way from the airport to that area and also from

that hotel area to Pier 91.

Thanks so much,

Karen too

You might want to try the Sheraton and the Westin. Both are in the free ride zone, and are pretty equidistant from everything.

http://www.graylineseattle.com/airportexpress1.cfm

http://www.graylineseattle.com/cruiseexpress1.cfm

We will be staying at the Westin (the one Princess uses for their hotel/transfer pkg.) prior to our cruise. We are planning to go to Pike Place Market on Sat before the cruise on Sun. Will there be a place to buy some wine/champagne there? And if not, where would you recommend we try? Thanks so much!

We will be staying at the Westin (the one Princess uses for their hotel/transfer pkg.) prior to our cruise. We are planning to go to Pike Place Market on Sat before the cruise on Sun. Will there be a place to buy some wine/champagne there? And if not, where would you recommend we try? Thanks so much!

Both. There are several good wine shops in the market.

We are flying into Seattle on Fri for a Sat cruise on the Golden Princess in May. We are staying downtown at the Crowne Plaza. I am wondering what the best transportation options are from the airport to the hotel, then hotel to pier. And then pier back to the airport. Since their are 4 of us with plenty of luggage, (I'm not the lightest packer :)) I am thinking that a taxi won't work for us. I've looked into maybe a shuttle van, but not sure best way to go or who to use. If we do a shuttle, should we book all three trips ahead of time???

Thanks for all your info Karen. I have been real busy, so I've just been popping in and out of this sight every few days. We are staying at the Travelodge-Sea Tac Airport (North), is there anything to do around there with my 17 and 22 yr. old daughters. we won't have a car either. Also we are taking the Seattle Express to get to and from the Hotel-Port, then port-Airport. Is gratuity usually seperate or added in to the price. If it is not included, could you tell me on average what people might tip with these type of services? Thanks again.

Hi Karen, "Seattlecruiselover"

Can you give me any information on the hotel "Inn at the Market"? It is located close to Pike's Place Market. It received pretty good reviews in tripadvisor. What do you think about this hotel compared to the Westin or Sheraton you mentioned for location and hotel overall etc?

Thanks for you help.

Chris

We are flying into Seattle on Fri for a Sat cruise on the Golden Princess in May. We are staying downtown at the Crowne Plaza. I am wondering what the best transportation options are from the airport to the hotel, then hotel to pier. And then pier back to the airport. Since their are 4 of us with plenty of luggage, (I'm not the lightest packer :)) I am thinking that a taxi won't work for us. I've looked into maybe a shuttle van, but not sure best way to go or who to use. If we do a shuttle, should we book all three trips ahead of time???

Airport to hotel:

Taxi hotel to Terminal 91

Terminal 91 to SEA-Tac:

Both of those can be booked online as above

We will return June 14 on the Star Princess, we have tickets on the 11:20am Amtrak to Portland. What kind of timeline are we looking at to get to the King St. Station? We prefer not to do early disembarkation.

I would plan at least an hour from terminal to station, just in case. Mariners are OUT of town that day, so don't need to worry about that, but check in for train starts 45-60 minutes in advance, so use that for a guideline on when you need to arrive. Taxi lines at the Terminal are likely to be brutal with two ships in town of a day.

Thanks for all your info Karen. I have been real busy, so I've just been popping in and out of this sight every few days. We are staying at the Travelodge-Sea Tac Airport (North), is there anything to do around there with my 17 and 22 yr. old daughters. we won't have a car either. Also we are taking the Seattle Express to get to and from the Hotel-Port, then port-Airport. Is gratuity usually seperate or added in to the price. If it is not included, could you tell me on average what people might tip with these type of services? Thanks again.

Not a whole lot to do in the airport area. If you like to shop Southcenter is nearby and there are buses that can get you there. I believe there is a theater multiplex near the Doubletree. The Museum of Flight is just a few miles away by the 174 bus from the airport.

Gratuities are separate. 15-20% is considered usual and customary.

Hi Karen, "Seattlecruiselover"

Can you give me any information on the hotel "Inn at the Market"? It is located close to Pike's Place Market. It received pretty good reviews in tripadvisor. What do you think about this hotel compared to the Westin or Sheraton you mentioned for location and hotel overall etc?

Thanks for you help.

Chris

Chris: It is a boutique hotel, which means small and generally expensive. Very close to the Market, and an easy few block walk to central downtown. Close to the bus lines, and quite a few places to eat very nearby.

Looking for transportation from Pier 91 to Seattle airport on a Sunday morning to catch a 12:30 flight. Would it be easier to catch a cab or book the Graylineseattle before we leave home? Two adults. Thanks very much for your advice.

Looking for transportation from Pier 91 to Seattle airport on a Sunday morning to catch a 12:30 flight. Would it be easier to catch a cab or book the Graylineseattle before we leave home? Two adults. Thanks very much for your advice.

For the taxis you are going to have to wait in line, and sometimes that can be a long drawn out process with two ships disembarking at the same time. If it is my decision, I go for either Gray Line or a car service, pre-reserved before leaving home.

You might want to try the Sheraton and the Westin. Both are in the free ride zone, and are pretty equidistant from everything.

Have you done any food tours? If so, which is best and will the Sheraton provide shuttle for that or is there a specific meeting place?

Have you done any food tours? If so, which is best and will the Sheraton provide shuttle for that or is there a specific meeting place?

See my answer to you on the old hotel thread. Pike Place Market's food tours are the best. You can walk there from the Sheraton (and Sheraton does NOT have a shuttle).

I just realized that our return flights are not until 4:45pm. Is there anything we can do to kill a couple of hours? I'm a little concerned about having to lug around all our luggage. Is there anything maybe close to the airport, where we can check our luggage early (if that is even possible) and then see a few things? We are coming in early before the cruise and plan to see Pikes Place Market and the Space Needle.

On our last cruise we stayed overnight post cruise, so we just brought our luggage to the hotel and then did some sight seeing. That wasn't an option this time.

Thanks in advance for all you help! These boards are wonderful and full of great info!

I just want to make sure there aren't any local ordinances against selling wine on a Sunday since some states prohibit this. Also, we will be staying near the airport and renting a car. Are there any places in the airport vicinity to pick up wine? Around here we can buy wine in grocery stores, Walgreens, CVS, etc as well as liquor stores. Is it similar there in Washington? Trying to decide if I want to pack it or buy it there.

I just realized that our return flights are not until 4:45pm. Is there anything we can do to kill a couple of hours? I'm a little concerned about having to lug around all our luggage. Is there anything maybe close to the airport, where we can check our luggage early (if that is even possible) and then see a few things? We are coming in early before the cruise and plan to see Pikes Place Market and the Space Needle.

On our last cruise we stayed overnight post cruise, so we just brought our luggage to the hotel and then did some sight seeing. That wasn't an option this time.

Thanks in advance for all you help! These boards are wonderful and full of great info!

The airport itself is pretty much a dead zone for anything to do. The concierge at the pier/cruise terminal will hold your bags for you until about 3 pm for $3 each. Or, alternatively, the cruise lines generally offer a city tour that ends up at the airport and lasts about 3 hours, give or take.

I just want to make sure there aren't any local ordinances against selling wine on a Sunday since some states prohibit this. Also, we will be staying near the airport and renting a car. Are there any places in the airport vicinity to pick up wine? Around here we can buy wine in grocery stores, Walgreens, CVS, etc as well as liquor stores. Is it similar there in Washington? Trying to decide if I want to pack it or buy it there.

Hard liquor is the only thing there is a blue law against. Wine and beer sales on Sundays are OK. And, yes, you can get at groceries, drugstores, and the like. I understand that there is a grocery store nearby, but could not tell you the exact location myself. Just ask at the hotel front desk, they will indubitably know.

Archived