Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

Is that a good hotel and a good location things like Pike Place and the space needle. We had points so we just booked there.

thanks for the info on the seafood restaurants.

Downtown everything is within 1-2 miles of everything else, at the most. From there, the Market is about a half mile walk, give or take; the Space Needle about two miles; the Underground tour about half a mile or so.

Yes, it is a nice hotel. Often used by visiting baseball teams when they come into town to play the M's.

Karen

I also want to thak you for all this great info. I'll be staying at the Quality Inn on Auroura for two nights in mid May. Thanks to your advice I've got Already There reserved to take us from Sea-Tac to our Hotel. We don't arrive in Seattle until 8:10 P.M. so I figure it will be around 9:30 when we get to our hotel. Would it be safe to walk anywhere from the hotel after dark...the space needle is only 3 blocks away. Any restaurants in the immediate vicinity that you would recommend that might still be open?

Karen

I also want to thak you for all this great info. I'll be staying at the Quality Inn on Auroura for two nights in mid May. Thanks to your advice I've got Already There reserved to take us from Sea-Tac to our Hotel. We don't arrive in Seattle until 8:10 P.M. so I figure it will be around 9:30 when we get to our hotel. Would it be safe to walk anywhere from the hotel after dark...the space needle is only 3 blocks away. Any restaurants in the immediate vicinity that you would recommend that might still be open?

Ironton, eh? Do you know my family, the Andres? I'm pretty sure there are still a few of them around there.

After dark it is wisest (anywhere downtown, not just on Aurora) to act as if you know where you are going. Ignore panhandlers (don't even engage them in conversation), and steer clear of large groups of people who may be congregating on street corners.

Directly across the street from the Space Needle is a sports bar/restaurant called, appropriately, Sport. They serve NW Fusion cuisine, and are moderately priiced. On Friday and Saturday nights, they are open until 1:00 am, on Sunday night until 11:00 pm. I'm not sure how late they serve, but should still be serving til at least 11:00 ish.

i would love to have you join me. and the chilly cheese fries and a beer will be my treat. you have been so helpful to me that is the least i could do for you. and meeting you would be great. let me know if you can make it. i get into seattle on the 17th and staying the night.

i would love to have you join me. and the chilly cheese fries and a beer will be my treat. you have been so helpful to me that is the least i could do for you. and meeting you would be great. let me know if you can make it. i get into seattle on the 17th and staying the night.

I don't drink, but you know how that goes. I'm normally home on Sundays. I can't put my e-mail addy here, since I occasionally work as a TA, but I can tell you that google might be your friend in that regard (and it won't get you to anything having to do with my being a TA, either). I'd love to get together if we have a chance.

i would truly like to have a bite to eat with you. contact me at

mooresharon1949@yahoo.com if you want to make arraingements. if you cant make it or it is too early to make any plans for may i will understand. and since i am totally ignorant as far as computors go i will try to figure out what the google tip is :rolleyes:. just put in the comment that you are seattlecruiselover. later

$20 and no drop off fees? Don't know where that person has been hanging out, but it isn't Seattle. Thanks, I set him/her/them straight on that.

Thanks I didn't want to say they were incorrect without giving the correct info.

Hi Karen,

We are flying to Hawaii in early April with an overnight stop in Seattle. We have booked the Marriott at the airport and will arrive around 12pm on a Saturday. We would like to visit the Needle, Pike Market and have a nice dinner.

I realize that it is about 11 miles into Seattle from the Airport. What would a taxi cost?

If we do decide to rent a car overnight, is their street parking around these sites?

Can you recommend a restaurant in the same area?

Thanks!

Wow, Karen you are so helpful. I've read most of this thread but not all. Started out good read lots of pages then skipped to the more up to date info.

I've learned a lot but I'm still a little confused on just want or how we should get to were we are going, so I thought I might post our situation and see what you think.

We're flying into Seattle on Thursday 5/21 arriving around 11pm Seattle time which will be 1am NY time for us :eek: with getting up for work at 4:30am working all day and then getting on the plane, and we all know you can't sleep on a plane,;) this is going to be one long day :rolleyes:

We ( 2 adults and luggage 4-6 big suitcases and 4 carry ons) need to get from the airport to Red Lion Inn on 5th Ave, we booked there for 3 nights.

We will just walk and use bus trans while we are tourists for 2 days.

After the cruise on the NCL Pearl, I believe pier 66 thanks for that info, we have an 10pm flight back to NY. What should we do?

The options I found

1) Leave bags at pier but must return by 3pm, so that will not work.

2) Take a ship tour, which was our plan till we found out the only tour NCL offers is 3 hours,, so this will not work either

3) rent a car, we were thinking on driving some of the west coast as we will have already had 2 days in Seattle. I think this is really our only choice. Problems I see is there's still no rental car agency at the pier. We will have to pay a drop off fee but spitting that between two couples isn't too bad.

What do you think? Also any suggestions what we could do with the rental car and time wise how far to ensure we are at the airport in time.

Thanks for any and all suggestions you might have for us.

Sorry I went on a little but I wanted to give as much detail as I could.

PS: I really appreciate all the info you provide to us first timers to the wst coast.

Thanks!

Hi Karen,

We are flying to Hawaii in early April with an overnight stop in Seattle. We have booked the Marriott at the airport and will arrive around 12pm on a Saturday. We would like to visit the Needle, Pike Market and have a nice dinner.

I realize that it is about 11 miles into Seattle from the Airport. What would a taxi cost?

If we do decide to rent a car overnight, is their street parking around these sites?

Can you recommend a restaurant in the same area?

Thanks!

Actually, it is more like 15-17 miles to downtown from the airport area. If you are going to the central hotel district it is about Z$28-30 for two people plus gratuity and fuel surcharge.

On street parking in the city of Seattle is $3.50 per hour, and hard to come by downtown. Around the airport you might find somewhat more availability. All hotels in this area charge to park (an average of $30 per day downtown, I don't know the prices around SEA-Tac).

Wow, Karen you are so helpful. I've read most of this thread but not all. Started out good read lots of pages then skipped to the more up to date info.

I've learned a lot but I'm still a little confused on just want or how we should get to were we are going, so I thought I might post our situation and see what you think.

We're flying into Seattle on Thursday 5/21 arriving around 11pm Seattle time which will be 1am NY time for us :eek: with getting up for work at 4:30am working all day and then getting on the plane, and we all know you can't sleep on a plane,;) this is going to be one long day :rolleyes:

We ( 2 adults and luggage 4-6 big suitcases and 4 carry ons) need to get from the airport to Red Lion Inn on 5th Ave, we booked there for 3 nights.

We will just walk and use bus trans while we are tourists for 2 days.

After the cruise on the NCL Pearl, I believe pier 66 thanks for that info, we have an 10pm flight back to NY. What should we do?

The options I found

1) Leave bags at pier but must return by 3pm, so that will not work.

2) Take a ship tour, which was our plan till we found out the only tour NCL offers is 3 hours,, so this will not work either

3) rent a car, we were thinking on driving some of the west coast as we will have already had 2 days in Seattle. I think this is really our only choice. Problems I see is there's still no rental car agency at the pier. We will have to pay a drop off fee but spitting that between two couples isn't too bad.

What do you think? Also any suggestions what we could do with the rental car and time wise how far to ensure we are at the airport in time.

Thanks for any and all suggestions you might have for us.

Sorry I went on a little but I wanted to give as much detail as I could.

PS: I really appreciate all the info you provide to us first timers to the wst coast.

Thanks!

Not that there aren't plenty of things to do around here, there are.

You might take the 3 hour tour, end up at the airport, leave your bags there (I think the place is called "Tom's" or something like that, then grab the 174 bus up to the Museum of Flight for a while (it is about a 15 minute ride from the airport and back, and the bus stops right out in front).

The traffic around here can be truly "zoo like" at the best of times, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemies.

What kinds of things do you like to do?

Ironton, eh? Do you know my family, the Andres? I'm pretty sure there are still a few of them around there.

After dark it is wisest (anywhere downtown, not just on Aurora) to act as if you know where you are going. Ignore panhandlers (don't even engage them in conversation), and steer clear of large groups of people who may be congregating on street corners.

Directly across the street from the Space Needle is a sports bar/restaurant called, appropriately, Sport. They serve NW Fusion cuisine, and are moderately priiced. On Friday and Saturday nights, they are open until 1:00 am, on Sunday night until 11:00 pm. I'm not sure how late they serve, but should still be serving til at least 11:00 ish.

Wow...theres actually someone else whos heard of Ironton, Ohio!! Don't recognize the name Andres...did they go to Ironton High? I'm a Rock Hill boy. We're you ever in this area?

Not that there aren't plenty of things to do around here, there are.

You might take the 3 hour tour, end up at the airport, leave your bags there (I think the place is called "Tom's" or something like that, then grab the 174 bus up to the Museum of Flight for a while (it is about a 15 minute ride from the airport and back, and the bus stops right out in front).

The traffic around here can be truly "zoo like" at the best of times, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemies.

What kinds of things do you like to do?

Thanks Karen,

We have planned so for to see the Space Needle, underground tour, maybe the zoo and aquarium, Pikes Place. Driving the west coast and just getting an idea of the beauty sounded nice.

Should we book a car service for the ride to the hotel at 11pnm for the 4 of us? Or should we just get a cab. I think I read a cab from airport to the Red Lion area is $30 for 2.

Do you also know where I can check out that place "Tom's" to leave our luggage. I remember reading a review where a family had to sit all day in the airport as they couldn't do anything with the luggage and I'm worried about that.:eek:

Wow...theres actually someone else whos heard of Ironton, Ohio!! Don't recognize the name Andres...did they go to Ironton High? I'm a Rock Hill boy. We're you ever in this area?

I was born and raised in Columbus, til we moved to SoCal in my junior year of high school. And I used to have a lot of family down that way, between Ironton and Lucasville, and across the river on the KY side. Cecil Joe Andre, Charles Michael Andre, Sharon Andre are just a few.

Thanks Karen,

We have planned so for to see the Space Needle, underground tour, maybe the zoo and aquarium, Pikes Place. Driving the west coast and just getting an idea of the beauty sounded nice.

Should we book a car service for the ride to the hotel at 11pnm for the 4 of us? Or should we just get a cab. I think I read a cab from airport to the Red Lion area is $30 for 2.

Do you also know where I can check out that place "Tom's" to leave our luggage. I remember reading a review where a family had to sit all day in the airport as they couldn't do anything with the luggage and I'm worried about that.:eek:

Four of you are not likely to fit into one of the new hybrid cabs, especially with a fair amount of luggage. I would go with a car service.

My bad, it's Ken's, not Tom's.

http://www.kensbaggage.com/

Archived