Do the cruise ships send buses to Altun Ha?

twopugs

Does anyone know if you book a ship excursion through the boat if they have buses or vans going to Altun Ha?

Specifically, what does Carnival send?

We did not go to Altun Ha, but do remember that others on the cruise were taken by bus, via cruise excursion. I guess it depends upon how many people book. Hopefully, there is someone who has done this recently that could give you a firm answer.

The cruise line notifies their shore excursion "partner" of the number of passengers they have booked for the tour. The tour provider decides whether to use vans, which he probably owns, or to use buses, which he probably leases for the day (with the driver included). There would be no way for the cruise line to know in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

driftwood,

not sure if you would know this (but I don't trust the answers I have gotten from calling Carnival)

In another port the "tour bus" is an old school bus without a/c. Fine for a quick drive but I would guess pretty warm packed with ship guests for an hour tour.

Any idea if this is the type of bus sent by the cruiselines or if they are typically vans or old greyhound bus with a/c?

It is difficult for United States citizens, although they should be familiar enough with the corruption at the top of our own government, to appreciate the extent to which the recently deposed government of Belize has further impoverished, through corruption, greed, nepotism and plain imitation of the contract bidding practices of the Vice President of the United States, the people of Belize. The situation has been deteriorating during nearly the entire period that the PUP has been in power, and they were only removed in a landslide election of the UDP in February 2008. If you are interested, here is our government's take on the past ten years:

http://www.caribbeanworldnews.com/middle_top_news_detail.php?mid=391

The fact is that Belize, although a tropical paradise, is a tropical paradise much like Eden: fruit grows on the trees and people could walk around naked if they had enough sunscreen, but there are very few rich people, there are even fewer rich people who want to pay taxes. There is virtually no real tax base. When one steps outside the Diamonds International-funded "Cruiseship Terminal," the veneer of wealth and luxury of diamonds and Iguana Rana and Wet Lizard falls away within a block of broken or missing sidewalks, and the fact of poverty becomes quite evident. In this setting as it was in Eden, acquisition of shiny new tour buses is on the back burner. When a tour operation gets TOO big--as with, for example, the rather notoriously greedy cave-tubing.com--it begins to purchase tour buses along the lines of Blue Bird school buses painted white (to help deflect the phenomenal rays of the sun in this latitude no doubt). As you know Blue Bird buses are relatively cheap and capacious.

Tour operations which are not so enormous or notorious but which get a sudden influx of clients on a happy day will RENT buses complete with drivers for the day from a company set up for just that purpose [viz., to provide buses to tour providers on an ad hoc basis] by a crony of the former prime minister (who is now nearly returned to private law practice, if not yet to prison for his depradations). These buses may be more along the lines of what you are calling "Greyhound-type" buses, also all painted white. On one occasion I saw what must have been fifty of them lined up idling side by side in a parking area between the Radisson Fort George and the Taiwanese Embassy, and they were parked so close together that I could hardly walk between them to get away from the suffocating diesel exhaust. But of course it is unlikely that you will ever see that particular sight, as they were just waiting to go down to the Cruiseship Terminal to pick up passengers for shore excursions. Air conditioning? I suppose so, but I was never aboard any Belize bus, and I have trouble telling how new or old any of them are.

There were NO buses in Belize that I ever saw like the beautiful modern tour buses used in the highly-capitalized tour operations in Cancun and Playa del Carmen in the Yucatan Peninsula. These of course are wholly funded with foreign capital, and perhaps in time if the new government in Belize is not so corrupt as the last, foreign capital will flood into Belize to reap foreign profits--as has been the case in all other historic enterprises in Belize. Then you may see a tour bus fit to make your home in! But until that day, I am afraid everyone is going to have to "grin and bear it" if they want to visit the treasures of Belize--or book with for example Major Tom or a smaller operator to travel in the comfort of a Toyota van--which I personally recommend from two weeks' almost constant travel! :D;)

Thank you for all of the info. I have looked up Major Tom, but it appears they only offer cave tubing not the visit to Altun Ha. DH isn't quite comfortable waiting until we arrive to get a taxi. Do you know of any small reputable operators that go to Altun Ha?

Hi,

We were in Belize on February 28th. I booked an Altun Ha excursion through Experience Belize Tours for my parents. I emailed back and forth with Leah to set things up. She answered all my questions quickly. The tour guide was Leah's husband, Allen. The tour was $50.00 and it included lunch at the Mayan Wells restaurant. Transportation was in an airconditioned vehicle. They were back at the dock in time to do a little shopping before getting on the tender. My parents were the only ones on the tour (so they got a private tour) and they absolutely loved it. It was one of the highlights of their cruise.

Thank you for all of the info. I have looked up Major Tom, but it appears they only offer cave tubing not the visit to Altun Ha. DH isn't quite comfortable waiting until we arrive to get a taxi. Do you know of any small reputable operators that go to Altun Ha?

At the recommendation of Driftwood, thanks again Doug, I have booked an excursion to Altan Ha with Major Tom. we are hoping to have a few more go with us but if its just the 2 of us that's okay too.

I found that they responded quickly to my requests for information, usually within 12 hours or so.

Hope this helps.

. . . make sure you ask Major Tom if you can stop off, as it is on your way, and see the snakes. They are really beautiful and well cared for, and they are all Belizean native species--although of course some of them can be found all over Central America (if you know where to look and have a lot of time)! The young man who collects, cares for, studies, and releases the snakes again to the wild is VERY knowledgeable and will talk about them as much as you like! You may even handle some of them if you like--it's a great educational opportunity for the kids.

If you DON'T want to see them, you don't have to stop, and it is very unlikely that you will see any snakes at all--but "such an opportunity may not occur again!" :D

It is difficult for United States citizens, although they should be familiar enough with the corruption at the top of our own government, to appreciate the extent to which the recently deposed government of Belize has further impoverished, through corruption, greed, nepotism and plain imitation of the contract bidding practices of the Vice President of the United States, the people of Belize. The situation has been deteriorating during nearly the entire period that the PUP has been in power, and they were only removed in a landslide election of the UDP in February 2008. If you are interested, here is our government's take on the past ten years:

http://www.caribbeanworldnews.com/middle_top_news_detail.php?mid=391

The fact is that Belize, although a tropical paradise, is a tropical paradise much like Eden: fruit grows on the trees and people could walk around naked if they had enough sunscreen, but there are very few rich people, there are even fewer rich people who want to pay taxes. There is virtually no real tax base. When one steps outside the Diamonds International-funded "Cruiseship Terminal," the veneer of wealth and luxury of diamonds and Iguana Rana and Wet Lizard falls away within a block of broken or missing sidewalks, and the fact of poverty becomes quite evident. In this setting as it was in Eden, acquisition of shiny new tour buses is on the back burner. When a tour operation gets TOO big--as with, for example, the rather notoriously greedy cave-tubing.com--it begins to purchase tour buses along the lines of Blue Bird school buses painted white (to help deflect the phenomenal rays of the sun in this latitude no doubt). As you know Blue Bird buses are relatively cheap and capacious.

Tour operations which are not so enormous or notorious but which get a sudden influx of clients on a happy day will RENT buses complete with drivers for the day from a company set up for just that purpose [viz., to provide buses to tour providers on an ad hoc basis] by a crony of the former prime minister (who is now nearly returned to private law practice, if not yet to prison for his depradations). These buses may be more along the lines of what you are calling "Greyhound-type" buses, also all painted white. On one occasion I saw what must have been fifty of them lined up idling side by side in a parking area between the Radisson Fort George and the Taiwanese Embassy, and they were parked so close together that I could hardly walk between them to get away from the suffocating diesel exhaust. But of course it is unlikely that you will ever see that particular sight, as they were just waiting to go down to the Cruiseship Terminal to pick up passengers for shore excursions. Air conditioning? I suppose so, but I was never aboard any Belize bus, and I have trouble telling how new or old any of them are.

There were NO buses in Belize that I ever saw like the beautiful modern tour buses used in the highly-capitalized tour operations in Cancun and Playa del Carmen in the Yucatan Peninsula. These of course are wholly funded with foreign capital, and perhaps in time if the new government in Belize is not so corrupt as the last, foreign capital will flood into Belize to reap foreign profits--as has been the case in all other historic enterprises in Belize. Then you may see a tour bus fit to make your home in! But until that day, I am afraid everyone is going to have to "grin and bear it" if they want to visit the treasures of Belize--or book with for example Major Tom or a smaller operator to travel in the comfort of a Toyota van--which I personally recommend from two weeks' almost constant travel! :D;)

Driftwood - you are delightful!! I was going to book a tour to Tulum but the timing seemed too crazy for me, my DH with MS, my 18 AND 8 year olds and the inlaws. My mother-in-law is from an island off Panama and I think she would enjoy these ruins more (as well as the shorter route). I on the other hand just adored your rant and cant help myself but to take your advise. I dont expect luxury, just experience itself. I cant wait to share all this with my family.

Tulum was the most atypical of the Mayan sites we have visited (four in Belize, five in Mexico, and one in Guatemala so far). I would never say that Tulum isn't very beautiful--location, location, location--but it might very well have represented a warehouse complex for the Mayan coastal trade for inland locations such as Muyil, Coba and even Chichén Itzá, and not much else. So if you are looking for pyramids, visit sunny Belize! And carry plenty of water, and wear a hat if like me you are bald, and slather on the sunscreen if like most other people you are beautiful and uncovered by other protection . . . . :D;):rolleyes:

Whatta paradise!

Wonderful rant! My DH, being half Panamanian and his mother and the kids will be just fine (natual tans, dontcha know!). Me (blonde and pasty) and the FIL will definitely be bathing in sunblock!! I adored Chichen Itza and am very much looking forward to these and I dont care if we get there on the back of a donkey! With this horrible winter, looking forward to this cruise is the only thing keeping me sane in Michigan.

. . . but whenever you choose to visit Belize, I'm sure they will keep it hot for you! Of course your DH side of the family may not be surprised by the sunbeams--and by then you may not be so pasty yourself! :D

Hi,

We were in Belize on February 28th. I booked an Altun Ha excursion through Experience Belize Tours for my parents. I emailed back and forth with Leah to set things up. She answered all my questions quickly. The tour guide was Leah's husband, Allen. The tour was $50.00 and it included lunch at the Mayan Wells restaurant. Transportation was in an airconditioned vehicle. They were back at the dock in time to do a little shopping before getting on the tender. My parents were the only ones on the tour (so they got a private tour) and they absolutely loved it. It was one of the highlights of their cruise.

THis is great to know. We're going to be in Belize in October, and I am very excited to go to Altun Ha.

Thanks! :)

• 2 weeks later...

We will be in Belize next week, and are very interested in the Mayan ruins at Altun Ha. I saw the website for ************, but you have also been talking about Major Tom and some other tour companies. Obviously I am paranoid about missing the ship, but I have never been led astray by cruise critic people before and have had some great experiences based on your reccomendaitons. Any assistance you can give here for reccomendations is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Altun Ha is the site least likely to keep you from rejoining your ship--it is only about thirty miles from the Cruise Terminal, although admittedly about half of that distance is over a washboard road. All of the Mayan sites we visited in Belize were beautiful and peaceful, but perhaps Altun Ha best fit the description given to it in Destination Belize 2006, a "well-manicured park." With plenty of structures to climb, if you are so inclined . . . .

Major Tom is the best and most experienced guide in Belize, but there is only one of him (except for his son Tom Jr., and his two youngest sons). It is possible that he would not be able to take you to Altun Ha personally, as the cave-tubing .net business can be very demanding when cruise ships are in port. But he also knows who the best guides are--as he has probably trained most of them, and keeps track of them--so if it were I attempting this wonderful excursion once more, I would contact him directly to see what his recommendations are. You might get lucky and find that he is in a mood to visit Altun Ha again personally!

It would be hard to lead anyone astray about Altun Ha, even by cruise critic people, who are notorious pranksters. ;)

Archived