Carnival Valor - what do on our own in Nassau?

Avril

My fiancee and I are sailing on the Valor's Eastern Caribbean itinerary in October :D and to save money (we hope), we're planning on not doing any shore excursions (not Carnival or independant - none). I was just wondering, what do you suggest we do on our own in Nassau? We like beaches, shopping, exploring the towns we're in and hanging out at places like Margaritaville (sp) and Sr. Frogs. We're only in port from 7am to 2pm so we don't have a long time to do anything.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!! :D

Senor Frog's is always a good time, you will be able to see it right from the ship. Is just down from the pier. There is also plenty to just walk around and see shopping. You could always take a taxi to Atlantis. There are some things and can walk around and see there that don't cost anything. Trust me you will not have any trouble finding things to do and see. Have a great time on the Valor, we sailed her Oct. 2005 and were just back in Nassau Oct. 2007 on the Liberty.

Take a walk or a cab to Arawak Cay for good fresh conch at locals' prices. There are about 25 restaurants on the strip there, every one of them good. :)

Personally I'd avoid all of the tourist traps at the port, including Senor Frog's.

Take a walk or a cab to Arawak Cay for good fresh conch at locals' prices. There are about 25 restaurants on the strip there, every one of them good. :)

Personally I'd avoid all of the tourist traps at the port, including Senor Frog's.

If it were me, I'd do what gtalum has suggested but on the #10 bus. But the OP said they like shopping & Senor Frogs type places, so they'd probably be better off walking to the Straw Market on the way to/from Sr Frogs. If nothing else they'll be able to say they've "been there - done that"

My sister and I were there in September. We hired a local with a horse and buggy to take a tour of the island. It was neat and when we got done we walked back to the places we wanted to shop at. There is a Hard Rock there too. The Straw Market was a bit overwhelming for me. Cramped and hot. But it is something to see if

you have never been there. Enjoy!

countdown.pl?name=terrielynn&date=7-11-2008&image=Beach-10&text=My second cruise!!&ship=Carnival Fascination

• 3 months later...

We are also on that cruise. We are wanting to hit Atlantis, just to check it out. If we can walk on the beach or use the Lazy River that would be nice. Still looking for ways to do this without breaking the bank. We have been to Nassau several times. Don't care for getting outside of Nassau too much. Not as pretty as you would think. A drink a Senor Frog is a must. The ship is in port for such a short time you have to be on your toes with watching your time. I don't want to have big a time since the Captain's Dinner is that night and that's free booze. There are several of us taking this cruise, all past Carnival cruisers. We got an inside room and now wish I had done a balcony. I am trying to find out about upgrades.

Ahoy, counting the days!:)

• 2 weeks later...
Nassau is great for doing it on your own. You are downtown when you get off the ship. DON'T rent a moped!

Great walking around/senor frogs/straw market/horse carriage ride (wou-hoo)/etc.

Why should you not rent a moped? We are planning to do just that....Please elaborate.

Thanks!

Archived