Mediterranean 12 Day- With kids- HELP!

WineDown17

Yeah- The judgement was just a bit rude... Amazing we live in a world where someone would negatively judge a parent for trying to bring her children on a vacation if a lifetime and expose them to culture rather than dump them with a babysitter or nanny.. But I guess we open ourselves up to attacks on these boards nowadays. sad.

I so agree with you. We have always taken our daughters on vacations and have had the BEST time with them!! They've been to over 12 countries and have seen and learned so much. The few vacations we take without them (usually accompanying my DH on his work travels) all I think about it how they would enjoy being there with us.

Enjoy every minute with your family! They grow up far too soon. Our girls are now 20, 16 & 15. I'm just thrilled that our college daughter was able to come with us on our European cruise this June.

Hey- don't get me wrong. I take my kids most places with me too. In fact, I enjoy taking my kids on trips and wouldn't have it an other way.

It is just that many people make it horrible for themselves by not planning ahead and thinking things through. I think the OP is asking for help and is planning ahead. I saw two bored kids in Santorini. The father said that they weren't allowed to join the kids program because he wanted it to be a learning experience. Sometimes parents don't understand that kids aren't as into scenery as they are. Kids prefer drama. That's why Rome and Venice will be a hit.

So I think it will turn out to be a great trip. I am sure the OP, already having been through the 2 year old stage knows what she is in for. So she will have to understand that some excursions won't work well with a two year old.

With the grandparents along- that is a major help. I think that they will not all be on excursions together and that the grandparents will be on hand. That's great.

Hope the OP has a very happy trip. :)

Hey- don't get me wrong. I take my kids most places with me too. In fact, I enjoy taking my kids on trips and wouldn't have it an other way.

It is just that many people make it horrible for themselves by not planning ahead and thinking things through. I think the OP is asking for help and is planning ahead. I saw two bored kids in Santorini. The father said that they weren't allowed to join the kids program because he wanted it to be a learning experience. Sometimes parents don't understand that kids aren't as into scenery as they are. Kids prefer drama. That's why Rome and Venice will be a hit.

So I think it will turn out to be a great trip. I am sure the OP, already having been through the 2 year old stage knows what she is in for. So she will have to understand that some excursions won't work well with a two year old.

With the grandparents along- that is a major help. I think that they will not all be on excursions together and that the grandparents will be on hand. That's great.

Hope the OP has a very happy trip. :)

My thoughts exactly!

So happy to hear you are commited to this trip. We traveled extensively with our son when he was young and every adventure brought a special page to his memory bank. Recently, we cruised to the Med with my FIL, age 87, and it was an extraordinary experience for all three of us. But it was different than just traveling with my husband.

When you travel with more than 2 people of any age, concessions are inevitable. You simply must consider every member of the party whether it be a naptime or a mobility concern. Traveling with 3 generations will bring unbelievable perspectives and memories to share for all of your lifetimes.

Will you see every museum and site and experience every city as you would if you were totally alone with your husband or with your 12 year old? Of course not. Will your youngest son have the educational experience of your elder son? Probably not. Is it still worth it? Absolutely.

Mary Anne

Archived