How many people Actually DO formal Night?

cruisinmama2

I write all my post in big letters ! This has nothing to do with the Topic, I promise you. Again it was only an opinion and you don't need to be so hostile when writing. :eek: It's not like I have have been invited to the White House for dinner... It's a cruise and my vacation ! I am not comfortable in long dresses and since I have been diagnosed with cancer, I have a whole new outlook on life. I have learned life is too short to worry about what other people think. Sorry that you don't like the way I dress. I can promise you that I would not look at you any different no matter what you wear. You are a person just like I am and have an opinion just as I do.

I am not comfortable in long dresses

Long dresses are NOT a requirement. I certainly wouldn't frown on anyone wearing a more formal, shorter dress, or a formal skirt/pants suit. If men can wear a suit, why not women? I don't really judge anyone's garb, though I do appreciate the effort to look more dressy than usual on formal nights. The glitter from some of the sequins and rhinestones usually prevent me from noticing someone whose choice is a bit more subdued.:rolleyes:

Hello,

Now there "serial cruisers" and people who wear tuxs as "common attire"!

...What you want to wear in the dining room is your business and none of mine. If you do not like formal nights then go carry your tray in the buffet, but you should not ridicule people who like these special nights as some kind of snobs or freaks.

...Getting dressed up on formal night is not about snobbery or showing off or any other nonsense associated with class or how much money you have. It is simply enjoying one of the traditions of travel by cruise ship with that special person in your life.

Fred

Fred, I was not ridiculing or calling anyone a freak or a snob. I'm not sure where you are getting that? I apologize if there was a connotation there that I had not intended. I am very much a live and let live person.

I'm saying that I don't personally have occasion to wear what I would consider Formal Attire (actual Gown - I do own cocktail dresses). If it was the "those circles" that gave offense, I apologize, as I do know plenty of people that attend the opera, the charity fundraisers, this that and the other, that would call for more sophisticated attire. When invited to parties in their homes, I wear one of my cocktail dresses and they accept me. I have not received an invite ever to a black tie affair and would be surprised if I ever am. "I don't travel in those circles." I did not call anyone a snob, just mentioned that I am not of that class. I added the embarrassment emoticon - perhaps it has a meaning different from what I intended.

That is all quite separate from the cruise experience.

I also did not say that I do not like formal nights. I participate! I dress in my finest, but it's not going to be a formal gown - that has no place in my life other than a cruise so is not a practical purchase, regardless of how inexpensively one can be acquired. Storing it to use once every couple years is not something I elect to do.

again, sorry for whatever offense you took. It was not intended.

I write all my post in big letters ! This has nothing to do with the Topic, I promise you. Again it was only an opinion and you don't need to be so hostile when writing. :eek: It's not like I have have been invited to the White House for dinner... It's a cruise and my vacation ! I am not comfortable in long dresses and since I have been diagnosed with cancer, I have a whole new outlook on life. I have learned life is too short to worry about what other people think. Sorry that you don't like the way I dress. I can promise you that I would not look at you any different no matter what you wear. You are a person just like I am and have an opinion just as I do.
WHOOOOO, WRITING IN SUCH BIG LETTERS IS AN AFFRONT TO INTERNET USERS...IT'S LIKE SHOUTING AND WE ALL HEAR WELL....SORRY ABOUT YOUR CANCER..WISH YOU WELL......BUT....IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TOPIC.......WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE TRADITION OF FORMAL NIGHT AND THOSE OF US WHO LIKE TO ENJOY VERSUS THOSE WHO DON'T WANT TO PARTAKE. SO HAVING SAID THAT.......WEAR WHAT YOU WILL, NICE SLACKS OR A POTATOES SACK......I'M SAILING SUNDAY AND THE BLACK DINNER JACKET AND THE WHITE DINNER JACKET WILL BE WAITING FOR ME ONBOARD--ISN'T CRUISING GRAND......icon12.gif

Hello,

The arguments about "formal" nights seem to be never ending. I will try not to respond to pleas for help from first time cruisers, who ask questions about this thorny subject. When someone writes to this board they need help but it seems that every response leads to controversy or a drawn out argument for and against jeans, or the meaning of "formal". As the famous umpire Tom Gorman used to tell players that he threw out of National League baseball games..."You are gone" and this means that you shall hear no more from me on this subject after I state the following:

I will continue to wear my tux, and others can wear what they want to. Hopefully though first timers will get dressed up, to the extent of wearing a tie and jacket for men and a nice outfit for the ladies. I believe that they will have a more enjoyable time than if they were to treat formal nights as any other night...carrying their trays in the buffet and so on.

And retiree wannabee, should we ever meet on the high seas, I am going to buy you and your traveling companion (this covers the waterfront of relationships) at least one drink (alcoholic or non) if not more. You are an excellent writer and a very interesting and perceptive commentator on the whole subject of cruises.

Take care,

Fred

Hello,

The arguments about "formal" nights seem to be never ending. I will try not to respond to pleas for help from first time cruisers, who ask questions about this thorny subject. When someone writes to this board they need help but it seems that every response leads to controversy or a drawn out argument for and against jeans, or the meaning of "formal". As the famous umpire Tom Gorman used to tell players that he threw out of National League baseball games..."You are gone" and this means that you shall hear no more from me on this subject after I state the following:

I will continue to wear my tux, and others can wear what they want to. Hopefully though first timers will get dressed up, to the extent of wearing a tie and jacket for men and a nice outfit for the ladies. I believe that they will have a more enjoyable time than if they were to treat formal nights as any other night...carrying their trays in the buffet and so on.

And retiree wannabee, should we ever meet on the high seas, I am going to buy you and your traveling companion (this covers the waterfront of relationships) at least one drink (alcoholic or non) if not more. You are an excellent writer and a very interesting and perceptive commentator on the whole subject of cruises.

Take care,

Fred

AMEN

Hello,

The arguments about "formal" nights seem to be never ending. I will try not to respond to pleas for help from first time cruisers, who ask questions about this thorny subject. When someone writes to this board they need help but it seems that every response leads to controversy or a drawn out argument for and against jeans, or the meaning of "formal".

Since the cruise lines publish their dress codes, the real controversy comes when posters want to know if it really matters, if they can get "away" with less, if they really have to dress up, etc.

Why the "meaning of formal" should have to be such a bone of contention is beyond my understanding. If everyone would simply read and comply to the stated guidelines, none of this endless discussion would be necessary. It should not be an opinion as to what is "acceptable" or "appropriate" as the cruise lines do a good job of explaining just what they expect.

I just don't get the problem as it seems quite simple to me...:confused:.

Since the cruise lines publish their dress codes, the real controversy comes when posters want to know if it really matters, if they can get "away" with less, if they really have to dress up, etc.

Why the "meaning of formal" should have to be such a bone of contention is beyond my understanding. If everyone would simply read and comply to the stated guidelines, none of this endless discussion would be necessary. It should not be an opinion as to what is "acceptable" or "appropriate" as the cruise lines do a good job of explaining just what they expect.

AMEN AGAINicon7.gif

114 CRUISES???!!!! YOU'RE MY IDOLicon7.gif YOU'RE THE MAN.....YOU'RE THE E.F. HUTTON OF CRUISES.....ANYONE WITH A QUESTION???? ASK AWAY.....THANK YOU SIR....

Hello,

Take care,

Fred

Fred,

The thing I totally dig about you is your love of cruising as a romantic voyage. We have that in common. The sea air, the pagentry, the luxury - we share common ground in appreciation of The Cruise Experience, I believe. This is why I was concerned that I may have offended you as I believe we are much alike and I have nothing but respect for your views on cruising.

I also would like to see those that participate in formal night at least try to dress up.

I would gladly share drinks with you and yours and shall we make an evening of it and take our SOs out for dancing in our finery and later a moonlight stroll? We'll buy the nightcap round. I will even buy a cocktail dress that's fancier than what I normally would wear in order to be closer in formality to the tux-laden gents (you and my hubby).

warmest regards,

rw

Wow...what big letters you use!

D.

Don't foget to fit "alcohol smuggling" into the list.

D.

Shame on me for having forgotten such an important topic, where do you think it should go on the list?

I am thinking towards the end of the list only because it doesn’t provoke a lot of debate, it only seems to be a rehash of all of the old ideas for smuggling liquor aboard. I rather suspect the board is sponsored by “Rum Runners”.

Shame on me for having forgotten such an important topic, where do you think it should go on the list?

I am thinking towards the end of the list only because it doesn’t provoke a lot of debate, it only seems to be a rehash of all of the old ideas for smuggling liquor aboard. I rather suspect the board is sponsored by “Rum Runners”.

ROFL...maybe so!

D.

Long dresses are NOT a requirement. I certainly wouldn't frown on anyone wearing a more formal, shorter dress, or a formal skirt/pants suit. If men can wear a suit, why not women? I don't really judge anyone's garb, though I do appreciate the effort to look more dressy than usual on formal nights. The glitter from some of the sequins and rhinestones usually prevent me from noticing someone whose choice is a bit more subdued.:rolleyes:

for sure-on mos tlines-the dress is "after 5"a nd not formal. Some women wear the long gowns and their men are in tuxes. But many women are in cocktail dreses, sparkly tops and slacks etc. I consider them properly attired and do not have the least problem with that. I do dislike seeing people walking around in jeans and sweats on formal night-unless they are up on the lido.

Archived