Montreal--Precruise Hotels

Any suggestions on a nice, reasonable hotel in Montreal near the cruise dock?

Has anyone stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Centerville (I think that's the one) and how far is it from the dock? Also, any suggestions on transportation from the airport to the hotels? Thanks for the help!

Andrea

Inexpensive and docks don't go in the same sentence in Montreal. The docs are in Old Montreal, the most expensive per square metre neighbourhood in Montreal.

Is that the Holiday Inn Express at 155 Rene-Levesque Est? It's a fine hotel (not far from my house and B&B). From a Montreal perspective, it's a bit of a walk to the nearest metro stations, but it's fine. It's a 3 star establishment (out of 5). We have a standardized system of rating in Quebec, so all hotels are rated on the same basic system, though location and design does count.

Here is a link to their listing on the government rating site: http://www.bonjourquebec.com/qc-en/fiches/en/hebergement/12507732.html

That hotel is in the fixed price zone for taxis from the airport, which is currently $34.75. The other two inexpensive options from the airport are the city bus for just $2.75 (cheap but very inconvenient because you need to take at least two buses before you get to the metro and then you have to lug around your own luggage) and the airport bus. The Aerobus is $14 o/w and $24 return and takes you to the Berri terminal (a block away from me) and they have a shuttle from there to many different hotels. You can check the website for more information. There are also limos for $49.50.

All prices are in Canadian dollars of course.

To see the location of the port, I have it highlighted on this map. http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Quai+King-Edward,+Montr%C3%A9al,+QC&sll=45.517159,-73.561185&sspn=0.008916,0.015643&ie=UTF8&z=16

Thanks for the info. We will only be in town overnight. The limo sounds great, as there will be four of us travelling together. We can also take a cab if they are vans and can handle all of us with the luggage.

That Holiday Inn Express is on Rene. I made a reservation there for under $100 per room. We won't be doing too much touring -- just a nice dinner and then some time in the morning.

You have a B&B. Please let me know your rates, direct me to your website and let me know if you have availability for two rooms, one needs to be two beds in the room, for the night of September 14, 2008.

Thanks.

Andrea

We currently aren't taking reservations beyond 60 days because the house is for sale and we only have one double bed per room. The house dates from 1882 and well... isn't enormously large.

Rene-Levesque is a main street in Montreal. (It was renamed a few years ago from Dorchester).

As for restaurants, Le Piemontais is just across the street, but it's reputation has vanished. It's not too far from Chinatown where Maison VIP on Clark is the restaurant that I suggest. In Old Montreal there is Casa Mateo (Mexican), Bonaparte (French). There is a Pacini on St. Denis if you like Pasta. More towards the village and my area is a great place called L'Echalotte (they have fantastic peanut dumplings) on St-Catherine East. At Complexe Desjardin there is a St. Hubert for rotisserie Chicken and a Baton Rouge for ribs. There are also a lot of small restaurants along St-Denis and St-Catherine East. I hope this helps.

Taxi or Limousine. I don't think that the shuttle goes there. I checked and it is part of the fixed price zone.

Be aware that in rush hour the taxis will need to go by the exit to the Mercier bridge and will therefore be slower in that area. It will most likely be clear once you have passed the on ramp for the Mercier bridge.

There will be a sticker in his car (usually on the window) showing the fixed price zone and the price. All taxes are included in the prices. We usually tip a buck or two for high fares but only round when it's lower fares.

Archived