Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Is there a web site where I can find info re the arrival time of the Infinity on Sept.19th? This voyage will be the repositioning cruise and the ship will not sail until close to midnight. My TA says check-in is TBA and will come with docs.

The Infinity will come from Seattle, and will be empty, as pax will debark there.

A group of us want to see the Infinity arrive (at the Pan Pacific, Cascades lounge) and have tentatively set the time at 4:45 pm, however one of the group's TA says that the Infinity will arrive much earlier.

Anyone here with info?

The truth is "I don't know" but I don't think she will arrive in Seattle until Friday morning, so they will do all the things that are normally done and then sail up here to Vancouver, so a late afternoon time is likely a good guess. Here is a link that you may already be familiar with but I thought perhaps you may care to phone the 1-800 and ask the port what they believe her ETA is or ask for her agents name and ask them. By the way I wouldn't phone until Wed. as Canada Day is Tues and a lot of us a taking a 4 day weekend.

http://www.portvancouver.com/vanAlaCruise/content/schedule/index.php?

Vickie, Putterdude, Urban Trekker, and the other Vancouverites, let me say how much we all appreciate the information you are giving to us! It makes it much easier to visit a new place with some background from locals (and not only fluff from the visitors bureau).

We (me, my wife, 19 year old son and 21 year old daughter) are arriving the evening of Thursday, July 17, too late to do anything that night, and have cashed in Marriott points to stay 2 nights (Thursday and Friday) at the Marriott Renaissance. We depart Saturday on RCCL. The following Saturday we of course depart the ship early, but don't fly out until 7:45 pm, so I figure that gives us some time the following Saturday, as well (if we are off the ship no later than 9, take an hour to get and take our luggage to a storage place, leave for the airport no later than 4:45 to be safe, that gives us another 6:45 to visit the city)

This is our first trip to your city. I thought we would see Stanely Park, of course (perhaps rent bikes). Can you tell me how long we could expect to spend at the park? Also, should we try to make the trip to the suspension bridge (Capilano ?) and if so what would be the best way to get to it? Taxi? Bus?

At 1000 acres you could spend a whole day in Stanely Park taking it in plus the Aquarium that is there. You can take a bus to the park then take the free shuttle that goes around the park in the summer, so it is kind of up to you how long you spend there....I have never seen it all and I have lived here more than 60 years. There are bikes rentals just of W. Georgia before you get to the park.

Yes you can get to the Capilano Suspension bridge by bus, you will find the taxi to be a $30 + ride either direction. After the suspension bridge you could continue on up Capilano Rd. by bus and go up Grouse Mtn. on their Skyride. The Lynn Canyon Suspension bridge is a free one and is about 5 miles east of the Capilano. If you do take transit then you would be advised to by the all-day pass for $9 each which may purchased at transit stations or at a number of convenience stores.

You may also want to take a walk in Gastown, which is where Vancouver began or spend several hours at Granville Island which is a festival market venue. Hope you enjoy your time in Vancouver.

www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/parks/parks/stanley/

http://tripplanning.translink.bc.ca/

www.capbridge.com/

www.grousemountain.com/

www.granvilleisland.com/en/node

Any restaurant recommendations for this area? (mid to high end?)

From your hotel the you could walk to the Kettle of Fish on Pacific St. or Joe Fortes on Thurlow just north of Robson St. or the Keg Steak House which is almost across the street.

www.akettleoffish.net/

www.joefortes.ca/

http://en.kegsteakhouse.com/locations/British_Columbia/Downtown_Vancouver/Thurlow_Keg

We arrived here into Vancouver yesterday, and let me say what a beautiful city. We wish now we would have

taken 3 days here instead of two.

Thanks for all the advice, we are getting ready to go to Stanley Park and rent some bikes.

One word of our adice, lol, is as we left the airport we bought tickets for the airport shuttle from the airport to the hotel. We discovered the cost was the same as a taxi for two of us and would have saved us all the waiting around for the bus and for them to fill the bus!!!

Oh, make sure you get to see the Steam Clock in gastown.....very very interesting and we saw the steam coming out!!!

Mel

Enjoy your tirp into the the park and hope you have a wonderful day in Vancouver. I would like to tell you that it is like this everyday .... but alas I can't. But when the sun is out on a day like to day there is nowhere prettier than Vancouver.

Just to clarify the Aiporter shuttle fare, it is $13.75 pp or $21.50 rtn. A taxi fare to a downtown hotel is about $35 so there is a bit of a difference. However if there is 3 of you then you are ahead with the taxi. Be aware though that Vancouver's cabs have been downsized so unless you do get a larger one or a van-cab then the downsized version would be hard pressed to carry more than 3 pax with bags.

http://www.yvrairporter.com/

I am thrilled to find local advice!!! We are staying at the Resident's Inn Downtown in August -- good choice or bad?? Any restaurant recommendations for this area? (mid to high end?)

Also, we want to purchase wine to bring onto the cruise ship -- where can we purchase it in this area? Thank you in advance for your valuable input!

that is a great location and is a relatively new hotel. I haven't stayed her but I park my bus just across the street from it often. I know there is a Starbucks just across the street.

Like Putterdude said there are many BC liquour stores in the area. Try some of our great BC wines.. they are exceptional.

Enjoy your tirp into the the park and hope you have a wonderful day in Vancouver. I would like to tell you that it is like this everyday .... but alas I can't. But when the sun is out on a day like to day there is nowhere prettier than Vancouver.

Just to clarify the Aiporter shuttle fare, it is $13.75 pp or $21.50 rtn. A taxi fare to a downtown hotel is about $35 so there is a bit of a difference. However if there is 3 of you then you are ahead with the taxi. Be aware though that Vancouver's cabs have been downsized so unless you do get a larger one or a van-cab then the downsized version would be hard pressed to carry more than 3 pax with bags.

also taxi fare can be even higher if you take the taxi during the week during heavy traffic times.

To all the Vancouver contributors, thank you for all your time, effort, and advice. I've been lurking this thread and taking notes. We will arrive in VYR on Friday afternoon and sail Sunday on Zaanam. The Hyatt looks very convenient to all the places recommended in this thread. Our plan is to take public transit to Capilano and (visibility permitting) Grouse Mtn. Then we will return downtown and visit Stanley Park, Gastown, and Granville either on our own or via tour shuttle.

One question- I can't seem to find any mountain bike rentals on the North Shore. There are some by Stanley Park....is it possible for two of us to take bikes on Seabus and city buses to get to the Lynn Canyon or Cypress area ? Or is there a North Shore bike rental place that Google didn't find?

Thanks in advance, have a relaxing and fun Canada Day. We will arrive in Vancouver on US Independence Day. July must have been a bad month for the British where the Colonies were concerned! :D

Thank you for your good wishes for Canada Day. Actually our separation from Britain was a very peacefull one and the Queen is still head of State in Canada (a toothless position) but one we still celebrate today and she still appoints a Governor General for Canada and L/Governor for each of our provinces although it again it a symbolism because we do elect our government. But we still use terms like "Royal...... "and in the navy "Her Majesties Canadian Ship......".

On to the question at hand.....even though I lived on the North Shore almost my entire life I can't say that I know of a bike rental shop but maybe Ut does because he is a big biker. But yes the Seabus and many of the transit buses do accommodate bikes.

We will leave the porch light on for you.:)

I don't know of a rental place on the North Shore but Seabus is very bike friendly - you just board by last set of doors - they are identified by the international bike symbol - and for bus most have bike racks for two bikes - however at one time the North Shore buses didn't seem to have them but there is a lot of new equipment in the system so that may have them now - I am sure that Vickie should be able to answer that one

A big word of caution - unlike the downtown core and Stanley Park - the North Shore is anything but flat unless you are cycling east along the water and you will be climbing all the way to the bridge and it's even more steep up to Grouse although there were a couple of bikes doing the climb today as I drove up to Grouse - there is also a new feature - they have added zip lining to their summer activities.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Is there a Walmart type store in downtown Vancouver? We want to save room in our carry-on luggage and purchase some supplies like shampoo, hand lotion, and Lysol wipes etc.

We are staying at Sutton Place.

Is there a Walmart type store in downtown Vancouver? We want to save room in our carry-on luggage and purchase some supplies like shampoo, hand lotion, and Lysol wipes etc.

There are 2 London Drugs stores downtown, one on Robson just west of the Sutton Place and another at Georgia & Granville, just north of you. There are also a couple of Shoppers Drugmarts downtown as well but London Drugs tends to be the price leader. There are no Walmarts downtown and CVS has not entered Canada as yet.

I don't know of a rental place on the North Shore but Seabus is very bike friendly - you just board by last set of doors - they are identified by the international bike symbol - and for bus most have bike racks for two bikes - however at one time the North Shore buses didn't seem to have them but there is a lot of new equipment in the system so that may have them now - I am sure that Vickie should be able to answer that one

A big word of caution - unlike the downtown core and Stanley Park - the North Shore is anything but flat unless you are cycling east along the water and you will be climbing all the way to the bridge and it's even more steep up to Grouse although there were a couple of bikes doing the climb today as I drove up to Grouse - there is also a new feature - they have added zip lining to their summer activities.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Hi Dennis, was thinking of you the other day when i drove the 101 -- always looking out for you, but I know you usually drive your car to 22nd street, are you still doing that even though there is tons of construction?

Also I agree mountain biking on the North Shore is great but be aware it will be a workout.

I can't wait to try the zip lining at Grouse Moutain. Here is the link http://www.grousemountain.com/Summer/summer-activities/air-grouse-mountain-ziplining-adventure.asp

In regards to taking bikes on seabus/transit or skytrain... yes to all the above. Vancouver transit is very bike friendly. The skytrain you can take bikes on (first car, max of 2) almost all buses have bike racks and they can take 2, first come first servce. Seabus too, but not sure if they have a limit. There is no extra cost either. There are great bike lanes throughout the lower mainland. Here is a link to many bike route maps http://www.translink.bc.ca/Maps/cycling_map_guide.asp

There are no large Walmart type stores in the downtown core, usually Walmarts are just on the outskirts on in the suburbs. So far the city of Vancouver has been successful in keeping them out, but not sure for how long.

If you are staying at the Hyatt there is a mall you can access from the hotel and there is a drug store in that mall. Also like Putterdude there are two London Drugs store, and there is the large Pacific Centre Mall just a few blocks East.

"Hi Dennis, was thinking of you the other day when i drove the 101 -- always looking out for you, but I know you usually drive your car to 22nd street, are you still doing that even though there is tons of construction?

Vicki - you must have me confused with someone else on these boards - about the only time I get near 22nd street station is when I am shopping at the Queensborough Walmart which might be once a month.

As for bikes on Seabus - I have never seen any signs limiting the number of bikes per sailing but I am usually using Seabus on weekends and not during the peak rush hours.

Did you happen to notice the prices for the ziplining - for those of us with the annual Grouse Pass it's $40.00 each time and for casual users it will be $70.00 including your sky ride ticket?

Cheers

Dennis

Hello everyone - just wanted to post for anyone still looking for a room, Expedia has some amazing rates at the Fairmont Waterfront for their 24hr. sale. For my August 30-September 1st stay I got a room for $177 first night and $159 for the second night.

Thank you to all the Vancouverites who answered my North Shore biking and transit question. I'm surprised that North Shore bike shops don't have rentals. Our area is another cycling haven and most shops have demo/rental bikes. The caution about steep terrain was good. I just turned 50 and ride a lot of local trails. Many of them gain 3000-5000 feet in 10-12 miles and others have short but steep sections. But, I thought about my teenage son who is athletic but doesn't mountain bike....he may be the one who has difficulties ! :)

I was unaware of the ziplining at Grouse; we decided to forego it on our cruise because other tours were more unique. Does anyone have comments on the one at Grouse (it's very new, so maybe not)?

Enjoy Canada Day, we will be there a few days too late to experience it. The explanation of the Canadian/British past and present was interesting.

Thank you to all the Vancouverites who answered my North Shore biking and transit question. I'm surprised that North Shore bike shops don't have rentals. Our area is another cycling haven and most shops have demo/rental bikes. The caution about steep terrain was good. I just turned 50 and ride a lot of local trails. Many of them gain 3000-5000 feet in 10-12 miles and others have short but steep sections. But, I thought about my teenage son who is athletic but doesn't mountain bike....he may be the one who has difficulties ! :)

I was unaware of the ziplining at Grouse; we decided to forego it on our cruise because other tours were more unique. This may be the opportunity to still zipline. Does anyone have comments on the one at Grouse (it's very new, so maybe not)? The ones on Tripadvisor were not too helpful.

Enjoy Canada Day, we arrive a few days too late to experience it. The explanation of the Canadian/British past and present was interesting!