Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

You are more than welcome, I hope that something works for you.

I learned to golf just after we got married some 38 yrs ago but like your husband gave it up while we raised our family then took it up again about 15 years ago. Now that I am retired I have been known to play over 200 games a year. Not good golf just a lot of golf. My wife took it up when I got involved again and was something that we were to do in our retirement (I am not very good at the ballet, fiqure skating, or the opera) but unfortunatley DW was diagnosed as having MS 10 years ago and that ended her golfing. However on Sundays I will take a cart and bring her along to drive the cart and keep score.

How lovely to spend Sundays riding the golf course together. The important thing is the time spent in the beautiful outdoors and how nice to have your personal scorekeeper.

The best to both of you.

Jean

You are more than welcome, I hope that something works for you.

I learned to golf just after we got married some 38 yrs ago but like your husband gave it up while we raised our family then took it up again about 15 years ago. Now that I am retired I have been known to play over 200 games a year. Not good golf just a lot of golf. My wife took it up when I got involved again and was something that we were to do in our retirement (I am not very good at the ballet, fiqure skating, or the opera) but unfortunatley DW was diagnosed as having MS 10 years ago and that ended her golfing. However on Sundays I will take a cart and bring her along to drive the cart and keep score.

I had to smile and think gee i better not tell my husband about how many times you golf he will be so jealous, that is his dream. I tried golfing a few times with him but "it just isn't good for our marriage" he he he

Now if I go out golfing I too just drive the cart and take pictures of the beautiful scenery.

sorry to hear about your wife's MS... we have a few cases in our family too and can be very difficult at times... i hope she is doing well.

I might golf once a year at the company tournament but usually try to find a golf course that is getting ready to returf their fairways since my game is that bad - my golf swing is worse than my slap shot and that is not a pretty site to see.

Cheers

Dennis

Hi!

Hubby and I are booked on the Carnival Spirit Vancouver/Hawaii cruise departing this coming Sept. 24th. We have booked a night's stay at the Pan Pacific for the 23rd.

My FIL called last night and they are going on this same cruise (so it will be nice to have some time with them!), and were wondering about places to stay. We told them about our stay at the Pan Pacific, but we are getting a AAA rate, and FIL doesn't have AAA, so the cost at the PP would be more than they'd really like to pay.

Any suggestions as to other, more reasonably priced hotels that aren't too far from the port? A "good" area is important, as well as the hotel being handicap-friendly.

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies! :)

Hi!

Hubby and I are booked on the Carnival Spirit Vancouver/Hawaii cruise departing this coming Sept. 24th. We have booked a night's stay at the Pan Pacific for the 23rd.

My FIL called last night and they are going on this same cruise (so it will be nice to have some time with them!), and were wondering about places to stay. We told them about our stay at the Pan Pacific, but we are getting a AAA rate, and FIL doesn't have AAA, so the cost at the PP would be more than they'd really like to pay.

Any suggestions as to other, more reasonably priced hotels that aren't too far from the port? A "good" area is important, as well as the hotel being handicap-friendly.

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies! :)

Could you book your FIL's room on your AAA, you pay for it and have him reimburse you? However if you got it on a promo then you may not be able to get the same price again; but worth a try.

Probably the next closest good hotel would be the Hyatt Regency at Burrard and Dunsmuir, we have been hearing of pricing there in the $150 range; it is about 4 blocks from Canada place. There are 2 Marriotts on W. Hastings about 3 blocks from CP that may be worth a try.

I might golf once a year at the company tournament but usually try to find a golf course that is getting ready to returf their fairways since my game is that bad - my golf swing is worse than my slap shot and that is not a pretty site to see.

Cheers

Dennis

Resembles the best part of my game.:)

I had to smile and think gee i better not tell my husband about how many times you golf he will be so jealous, that is his dream. I tried golfing a few times with him but "it just isn't good for our marriage" he he he

Now if I go out golfing I too just drive the cart and take pictures of the beautiful scenery.

sorry to hear about your wife's MS... we have a few cases in our family too and can be very difficult at times... i hope she is doing well.

When DW took up golf I had to sign a pact that I would not say anything or else. We have had some very wonderfull golf vactions and some very good times as a result of golf.

DW is very strong and brave about her condition and bears up very well considering she walks with a brace and a cane. She also has a walker but only use it if she is going some distance. She can still drive her car and goes to aquasize 3 times a week. The only real concession that she has made is to hire a housecleaner everyother week. She is well known and like at our golf club here and with our AZ home being on a golf course she talks to all of the golfers there.

Right now I am feeling rather golfed out, I have just returned from playing my 12th round in the last 14 days and I am taking tomorrow off before I play the final round in our seniors mens 36 hole championship on Sunday...I am the comedy relief act.

PD - you might be interested to know that I have participated in the MS Bike Rides here in Vancouver over the past dozen years - won't be able to do it this year as I am hiking in the Rockies and don't get back into Banff until Saturday night and the ride is Sunday in Vancouver.

Cheers

Dennis

PD - you might be interested to know that I have participated in the MS Bike Rides here in Vancouver over the past dozen years - won't be able to do it this year as I am hiking in the Rockies and don't get back into Banff until Saturday night and the ride is Sunday in Vancouver.

Thank you very much for your participation. You may be interested to know that we have an amazing MS Clinic at UBC where I take DW once of twice a year. They are very compassionate and encouraging people out there as well as having at least two world class researchers (neurologists) who are on the cutting edge and often take the lead in research. We feel very fortunate that one of them, Dr. Virginia Devonshire who was just named the top researcher in Canada, looks after DW.

Hi everyone

We are going to be in Vancouver pre-cruise in September and our T/A has booked us in the Hilton Metrotown.

Can anyone give us any information on the hotel and the area. Is it safe? Any good restaurants close by.

Would appreciate any information.

Claridge.

Hi everyone

We are going to be in Vancouver pre-cruise in September and our T/A has booked us in the Hilton Metrotown.

Can anyone give us any information on the hotel and the area. Is it safe? Any good restaurants close by.

Would appreciate any information.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Hilton Metrotown and it is in a good safe area close to a large shopping mall and lots and lots of restaurants. The only thing is that it is out in a suburb of Vancouver called Burnaby and you are about 25 to 30 mins into the city via SkyTrain which is our LRT system. The good news is that there is a SkyTrain station in close proimity to the hotel.

I am not sure why your TA put you out there but if you are only going to be there for a night or two the rack rate for the hotel is almost the same as you would pay downtown at hotels like the Hyatt Regency, the Blue Horizon, the Pacfic Palisades and a few other. These would save you the effort of having to commute into the city. Plus on embarcation day you are either going to have to struggle with your luggage on SkyTrain or take a cab at a cost of about $40/45.

PD - good post about the Hilton Metrotown - the thought that came to mind is perhaps they have rewards point that they are wanting to redeem and since there is no Hilton in downtown that is why that was booked but wouldn't Hilton rewards points also work at the Hampton Inn - perhaps the TA wasn't aware that there is a good one in downtown.

Just a thought

Trying to decide whether to hike or bike it today.

Cheers

Dennis

the Hilton at Metrotown is very nice, I believe we discussed it in length on this thread prior, you may want to search this thread. We spoke about how to get around via transit/skytrain.

I know that MS clinic PD -- My SIL goes there too and only says good things about everyone there.

The Inn at False Creek is also known as the Quality Inn downtown - I should know as I am looking at it from my condo as I type this post. I know that the Big Bus stops right in front - not sure if the Trolley stops there but if not it stops around the corner at the Marriott Residence Inn. Ask for a room at the back - it will be quieter as the hotel is located on one of the on ramps for one of our bridges.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Can you tell me if the trolly stops any were close to The Inn at False Creek. I can never find much on this hotel. Hope it is an o.k. place to stay Aug.21.

The trolly does stop there. It is a block from where we stayed at the Best Western Downtown. We took the Big Bus and caught it there but the Trolly stops there also.

Hello all,

Quick question about the Canada Place area. My family and I (8 of us) fly into Vancouver early on embarkation day (a Sunday). I was wondering if there was anywhere around the Canada Place area that would be good for breakfast (walking distance please, within a couple of blocks).

I saw that the Waterfront and PanPacific have brunches, but they're a bit pricey for us ($48/plate ... too much).

Any suggestions would be so helpful.

THANKS!

Hello all,

Quick question about the Canada Place area. My family and I (8 of us) fly into Vancouver early on embarkation day (a Sunday). I was wondering if there was anywhere around the Canada Place area that would be good for breakfast (walking distance please, within a couple of blocks).

I saw that the Waterfront and PanPacific have brunches, but they're a bit pricey for us ($48/plate ... too much).

THANKS!

We have just been thru this on another thread and here is a link to it. I agree, $48 pp would put me off my breakfast to.:)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=806063

Being a Sunday many of the smaller and cheaper breakfast places near Canada Place are closed because they are located in the financial sector of the downtown core - I was going to suggest the Moose down under but it is closed on weekends - one that comes to mind is the Chelsea Restaurant in the basement of the Day's Inn on Pender - about 3 - 4 blocks from Canada Place - here's a link:

http://www.daysinnvancouver.com/facilities.html

There is also the food court beneath the Waterfront Hotel but I don't know what time it opens on weekends - looks like it doesn't open until noon on Sundays by which time you might be on the ship.

Perhaps PD or Vickie or some of the others might have some other favorites.

It might actually be better if you ate at the airport which has a good selection of eating establishments and then head downtown and straight to the ship.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

breakfast, hum??? Let me think... it is true that it is difficult as the pier is in the heart of the downtown core and there just isn't a ton of place to eat at.

I first thought of Waterfront Centre which is just across the street as they have foodfare with a Tim Hortons, Muffin/Coffee place, Starbucks, and there is a Ricky's Restaurant but it only opens at noon.

You could walk towards Gastown, perhaps something will be open there.

You might want to drop your luggage at the pier, often they can take it early and then you can go explore and get something to eat.

Sorry I couldn't help any more.

There is the Denny's on Burrard but that would be a good 10 block walk slightly up hill so that may be too far to walk.

Perhaps when PD gets back from the Golf course he will have some suggestions - it is such a nice evening here who wants to be inside.

Cheers

Dennis

Hello all,

THANKS!

Just walk up the hill a bit on any of the roads leading up away from Canada Place and you will find several places open on a Sunday morning for breakfast.