Window Washing Equipment

Pink Lady

Hi Folks,
On a recent two week cruise, the trolley for washing windows was stored between my balcony and the next cabin balcony affording a very obstructed view. We paid for a balcony without any blockage. We asked guest relations to have it moved but as often as they said they would, they never did. In your opinion, should we seek some compensation for this annoying structure outside our cabin. What would you do......????

Was it there the whole time? If it was just there for 1 day then I would have had to shrug it off - but if it was there for longer then a day I would have gone down to guest relations and demand something be done about it and f it hadn't been removed in a reasonable amount if time I would have been down there again speaking to the superior of the first person and every time I had to go down there my voice and tone would have been increasingly louder until they realized I was serious and it had better be moved. I am not sure compensation after the fact would be appropriate. Out of curiosity what ship/stateroom where you in?

It was not there for the first 3 or 4 days of the cruise. In fact I looked down about 8 balconies and saw it there and commented to my husband that I felt bad for the people who had it stuck in front of their cabin. They must have complained because Lo and behold it was moved to us for the remainder of the cruise. We were on Constellation and in cabin 8080. I'm of the opinion it should be placed in front of the same stateroom every voyage and that cabin should be sold as an obstructed view.

[quote name='Pink Lady'] In your opinion, should we seek some compensation for this annoying structure outside our cabin. [/QUOTE]

In my opinnion, no.

Also, in reply to the other comment 'they will not make the same mistake again ...' What will you do, sail on that ship every single sailing to insure that broad stroke statement? Oh, only as it applies to your sailing? Still, if they happen to park it there, then what? a.) dismantle it and throw it into the sea?, b.) dismantle it and park it on their desk? c.) something 'else' ?

Sounds ominous. If the windows were dirty on the other hand, then maybe I would complain.

Tbelian - common sense should tell you I wouldn't care where it would be when I am not on the ship and didn't pay for an obstructed view room. What would I do honestly I would voice my opinion loudly (if needed) and to whomever needed until something was done. If you would be okay with that fine but I for one wouldn't and would demand it be taken care of. Obviously if you make a big enough fuss over it, it will be moved (based on the OP comments). I would be reasonable about (as stated previously) if it was there for a day common sense (which most on this board have, but a few are lacking...) would say it has to go somewhere and wait a reasonable time for it to be moved but 3-4 days is 100% unacceptable.

[quote name='BB5953']Tbelian - common sense should tell you I wouldn't care where it would be when I am not on the ship and didn't pay for an obstructed view room. What would I do honestly I would voice my opinion loudly (if needed) and to whomever needed until something was done. If you would be okay with that fine but I for one wouldn't and would demand it be taken care of. Obviously if you make a big enough fuss over it, it will be moved (based on the OP comments). I would be reasonable about (as stated previously) if it was there for a day common sense (which most on this board have, but a few are lacking...) would say it has to go somewhere and wait a reasonable time for it to be moved but 3-4 days is 100% unacceptable.[/QUOTE]

There is clearly an implication here that I dont like. It says a lot about how you would really handle the situation ("Tbelian - common sense should tell you " ... followed by "common sense (which most on this board have, but a few are lacking...) ") The implication is obvious, but I disregard it, and consider the source. As to voicing an opinion 'loudly if needed' ... I guess that works ... at least for you it might... Personally, I don't like to make a spectacle of myself over somehing insignificant. In my opininon (which the original poster openly asked ) No, they shouldnt make a big fuss over it because what's done is done, and, hindsight is 20-20. You of course are free to do what you want, and express your opinion. So am I.

You absolutely are able to express your opinion and I would never say not to. If the fact that an large piece of equipment is parked outside your balcony is to you insignificant then I would agree you shouldn't make a fuss over it - to me it would be very significant as I would spend much of my time there (hence why I pay significantly more for a balcony). I would never expect compensation after a cruise for it so I would do whatever it takes to ensure it moved within a reasonable amount of time. If that sounds misguided to you well there is nothing to be done for you.

[quote name='BB5953']You absolutely are able to express your opinion and I would never say not to. If the fact that an large piece of equipment is parked outside your balcony is to you insignificant then I would agree you shouldn't make a fuss over it - to me it would be very significant as I would spend much of my time there (hence why I pay significantly more for a balcony). I would never expect compensation after a cruise for it so I would do whatever it takes to ensure it moved within a reasonable amount of time. If that sounds misguided to you well there is nothing to be done for you.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. Actually, I'm in agreement, the time to do something about it is when it is happening, not after the fact.

BB5953

Just a couple of thoughts.....I have found, over the course of my cruising experience, that a calm reasones approach to customer service elicits a quicker, more positive response than a loud, hostile,"they will never make that mistake again attitude". We often like to believe that we, with our commanding presence, can resolve problems that others cannot. What many fail to realize, is that they are dealing with a corporation, customer service reps take direction from corporate headquarters, which means loud voices or threats mean little to them. Such large organizations care little about your concerns. Remember, your cabin has been booked forward for any number of months and all the ranting and raving will have a truly negligible effect on the "bottom line".

A/C - As I am sure you have read I would absolutely start out very calm as always and I agree that you would "catch more bees with honey". As this has not happened to me (thank god) my comments were directed to the OP who had made many previous attempts, I can only assume calmly and got no where. If this were to happen to me I would go up the line until I found the person in charge of the maintenance team (having nothing to do with the the corporation) and ensure that the equipment be moved in a reasonable time. Corporate could care less where the window washing equipment is left and but the guest relations/maintenance can get it done, hence the people who were below them that had it removed...

Never thought that such a simple question could cause such a beehive. Certainly didn't intend it to be so. No, we were not forceful in our requests as that is not our nature. After a couple of visits to guest relations, we just stewed in silence! I just don't understand why a certain spot on any ship can't be designated for such equipment then sold as obstructed. No one would have any complaints if you knew ahead of time.

Making a loud, demanding scene will accomplish nothing but to get everyone angry. Besides, to demand that it be moved immediately will only get that thing plopped in front of someone else's cabin. Not very nice, in my opinion.
The problem really is Celebrity's. I agree that the answer is to have a permanent parking spot, that cabin sold has "obstructed view".
For the record, we've booked on M class ships a few times. Always picked a balcony cabin towards the front or back, because I don't want the problem of the window washer. Worked out fine. Personally, I think if that thing was in the same spot for the whole cruise, you probably are entitled to some compensation for the obstruction, but Celebrity is not always customer friendly.

[quote name='Pink Lady']Never thought that such a simple question could cause such a beehive. Certainly didn't intend it to be so. No, we were not forceful in our requests as that is not our nature. After a couple of visits to guest relations, we just stewed in silence! I just don't understand why a certain spot on any ship can't be designated for such equipment then sold as obstructed. No one would have any complaints if you knew ahead of time.[/QUOTE]
[font=Comic Sans MS]One should never ever ever think that, after all this is the CC board and every topic has that lethal potential to stir up controversey..it's my opinion and I am sticking to it...... [url="http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001"][img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/995v.gif[/img][/url][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]Seemed kind of a no brainer to me, something was blocking the nice view of this poster. Were any of us there to witness just how much of a nusance this was, don't thnk so. I agree that the time to do something about it was then, asking for compensation now, I think, would be a waste of time, however a letter to "The Boss" may at least save someone down the road the same fate.[/font]

Cabin 9056, Millennium, Nov 2002. Window washer was between my cabin and our friends next door. It struck my eye as soon as I entered my balcony. I asked the steward if it would be there all week and she wasn't sure. After a day, I really didn't notice it that much anymore. IMO it did not hamper our view to any large degree. It was on the side, between the rooms. If they were to move it, where would it go? To someone else's room that wouldn't like it either. It was my bad luck but other than the initial question I didn't believe it was worth fretting about. Best cruise we have ever had. We are scheduled for Feb, 2005 with friends, deck 9, different room and maybe a window washer.

Archived