private tour rome and Naples-drivers/co?

This is my first posting. I have read the site for years and love it. I can not decide on private tour for Rome. Options: Italy Limousine-Fabrizio; all around italy unknown driver; Rome Cabs- Stephano not available so Marco driver; Max Leotta; Limo in Rome- Fabrizio driver; Rome in Limo- can not guarantee driver.

There are many Fabrizios on the cruise postings not sure which company the reviews are referring to.

Naples: Sorrento Limo- Gennaro; Francesco Marrapese; or Drive Amalfi- Salvatore not available can have Adriano or Antonio as driver.

Any one who can help make my decisions easier?thanks

Dianemarie,

We used Max Leotta a few years ago for 2 days touring and for transfers to and from the airport. We liked him a lot, but do realize he just drops you at the spot you want to see and waits for you. He does not go with you. He purchased tickets for us and we jumped any line ups.

This year we are booked with Lords of Limos - Fabio. We toured with him last year in Rome, Naples and Florence and found him to be the best we have ever had.

Hope this helps.

Diana

Dianemarie,we used Duman from romeinlimo in Dec. and he was fabulous! We also hired Sarah as our guide for St. Peter's Basilica and she was also fantastic. Their website is romeinlimo.com. I don't think you'll regret it.

Enjoy! Shelly

Last year we booked with Stefano of Rome Cabs. As it turned out, he was busy & sent Marco for our driver/guide. Initially I was disappointed when I found out that Stefano wasn't going to be our guide, but about 5 minutes into the tour I decided Marco was absolutely great. He is very much a gentleman, very knowledgeable, speaks very good English, very personable & does everything that he can to ensure that you have a good time. I'm going to Rome again this year & although I would love to meet Stefano, I have requested Marco as I am looking forward to visiting with my friend.

We used Gennaro with Sorrento Limo last Oct & had a very enjoyable day. He was waiting for us at the pier when we docked & the van was very clean. Gennaro was a safe driver, knowledgeable & friendly. He took us along the Amalfi Coast with various stops for pics...we decided to skip Sorrento & just drove by due to other ships docked. He gave us the option to drive around or down through Positano- we went down through- then spent time shopping & viewing the church in Amalfi. We then drove to Ravello where we spent more time roaming around. Gennaro had offered to have lunch arranged for us in Ravello- overlooking the coast- but we decided to get a quick lunch instead so we would have more time in Pompeii...we spent the afternoon in Pompeii & were back to the ship in good time. We would use him again if we're lucky enough to be back in the area!

Hi Dianemarie,

I would be more concerned about selecting the company first. If the company is reputable and has high expections of it's drivers, one will be as good as the other. We used RomeinLimo for 3 ports and were very pleased with each and every guide and driver they gave us. All three were very attentive to eveyone in our party's needs, punctual, informational, and exceeded our expectations. We will be using them again for sure next April. I am sure if you've been reading the posts you know of their outstanding reputation!

We used Fabrizio, All around Italy, and found his to be a great guide and a very engaging individual. We had scheduled him for one complete day shortly after we arrived in Italy. We had a great morning but it began to rain heavily a little after noon. Since we had scheduled outside tours, be suggested breaking off for the day and starting over again the next morning. We eagerly agreed and had another most enjoyable time with him the next day. He also took us and another couple to Civitavechia and was prompt and an excellent driver. I highly recommend him.

I also strongly recomend Fabrizio from allarounditaly.net. I have used him in Livorno, Rome and the Amalfi Coast.

I'd also like to add that many of the drivers work together so you may book with one company but actually get a driver from another company.

We are using Claudio (LimoinRome) for Rome -

Paolo (Unforgettable Tuscany) for Livorno - Florence & Tuscany

Francesco Marrapese in Naples for the Amalfi Coast

Has anyone heard anything about any of them???

Thanks.

We used Fabrizio Meloragno from www.allarounditaly.net for Civitavecchia transfers and for a 1/2 day tour. He was an excellent driver with reasonable prices and a charming disposition. Very very reliable. He took every opportunity to show and explain points of interest. He even drove us past the Vatican while the pope was holding his audience - so we got a good look at him.

We used Francesco whilst we were staying at the Hilton in Sorrento took us on a few tours, fantastic driver and great company patience of a saint, and the restaurant he took us to was unbelievable for the view and food.

If you use him give him our regards, the family from Guernsey.:)

There is no better guide than Claudio from limoinrome. His knowledge base is incredible and only surpassed by his passion for his Italy. He is a gentleman and of the highest caliber. I left my expensive sun glasses in his van and within one week of our arrival home here they came in the mail at no charge! We used his services in both Rome and Florence. We had Salvatore in Amalfi. All of the folks previously cited have very good references. This is just my choice.

• 2 weeks later...

I would go with Rome In Limo. Duman and Jany are excellent and they are very quick to answer. Duman took us to places in Rom that were out of the way and we saw things I am sure no ship tour saw. Also, everywhere we went we bypassed all the lines because he knew the right times to go. Duman was like being with family! The morning we arrived in Rome another passenger on the ship took my luggage and I thought it was going to be a horrible end to a wonderful trip but it turned out to be great and Duman was excellent! Plus he helped me locate my luggage! :)

http://www.romeinlimo.com/

I would go with Rome In Limo. Duman and Jany are excellent and they are very quick to answer. Duman took us to places in Rom that were out of the way and we saw things I am sure no ship tour saw. Also, everywhere we went we bypassed all the lines because he knew the right times to go. Duman was like being with family! The morning we arrived in Rome another passenger on the ship took my luggage and I thought it was going to be a horrible end to a wonderful trip but it turned out to be great and Duman was excellent! Plus he helped me locate my luggage! :)

http://www.romeinlimo.com/

What is the norm when it comes to tipping drivers and tour guides? :confused:

Do a search on the boards and you will find lots of responses.

I heard great things about Francesco and booked him for June 08. He was very professional and will give you a custom tour. We have been in touch via email and I feel very secure.

He had a small problem with his computer and two days were double booked - but that has been fixed and nobody was disappointed. That is not his standard way of doing business. It was a simple computer error. So if you read about that don't let it scare you.

Good Luck with whatever you choose!!!

Archived