Malaria medications and baby

twopugs

Our cruise as stops in Belize and Roatan...the CDC lists malaria meds for both. While we have traveled all over and have taken malaria meds quite a few times, it is a much bigger issue when I am thinking about my child.

I am wishing that we booked a different cruise, but since we didn't I am wondering what you have done in the past with children (specifically those under 1). I know that they can take certain malaria meds and while my husband and I have never experienced any side effects, I know some people that have had horrible side effects. I will discuss with his doctor at our next visit but i am just wondering what others have done.

Obviously, talk to your doctor (although most doctors really don't know much about travel vaccinations). I know Belize is not considered a high risk malaria area, but Roatan is. However, I believe the greatist risk is at dusk and dawn, and you will not be there during those hours. If it was me with my 2 year old, I would probably not give malaria meds for those two stops. However, Roatan is famous for no-see-ums. Make sure you cover your baby with a THICK layer of Avon Skin So Soft to prevent bites if you are going to the beach, and again if you see mosquitos around - leave right away.

I guess another quesiton would be what is the best bug repellent for a baby. He will 7 months so his hands are always in his mouth. We have a disney brand of all natural lotion but I would prefer something stronger.

What lotions are safe?

Also, does anyone know of any natural remedies for protection of bug bites? (ie-I know that for adults they say that if you eat a clove of garlic each day)

I wouldn't worry about malaria protection in either place either, on a cruise. You're there a short time, not at night, and, I'm sure, with a baby you are not going to be going to any really jungly, swampy, adventurous kind of places anyway.

We did an island tour, zip-lining and beach in Roatan--nary a mosquito. In Belize we went cave-tubing--no mosquitos here either.

Not that there can't be--it just wasn't an issue when we went. (Early December). I'd be very reluctant to take malarial meds (we have before, on a trip to Africa) for myself, let alone a baby for the few hours you will be in port. But, of course, only you can make this decision.

I probably wouldn't put insect repellant on the baby either unless I got there and actually saw some bugs. I'm just leary about the chemicals with a baby. Maybe someone else knows of a safe repellant.

This is a good question for all of us. Why not post a general question like: Does anyone know of someone who got Malaria while on a cruise vacation?

Karysa

Sorry I forgot to add that the ask a cruise question board might be a good place to post this type of question.

I was actually just reading about this on the CDC's website. THey recommend using a bug repellent with at least 30% DEET and that such a repellant is safe for even very small kids (I want to say they said 6 months and up, can't remember). The CDC's website is travel.cdc.gov and there's a whole section on travel with infants and children. Our son has no spleen (he was born without one) so we can't cruise anywhere with malaria outbreaks, but I was reading about it anyway because I was curious.

I have just had the same issue about malaria meds for my kids whilst in Roatan. The advice from our doctor, was that the malaria meds were not necessary if we were only on the island for a few hours during the day, as the mosquitos that carry malaria generally only fly from dusk to dawn.

However he was quite specific that we still needed to take every precaution against being bitten - it only takes one mosquito bite to pass on the disease.

My kids are a bit older that yours so we will be using Deet based repellent, and also will have the Avon Skin So Soft for the sand fleas. But there is apparently no active repellent ingredient in the Avon product and there is no scientific proof that garlic works (although I do use it).

A chat with your doctor, as you are planning, has got to be the best idea though. :)

Archived