Dive Computer - Do we need one for a tour?

NeurosurgeryNP

I am a recreational diver. I do not have a dive computer. Will we need one for a one tank two dive tour or will the dive master have the dive profiles figured out?

Hi,

I'm a dive wheel kinda guy. The reality is you will most likely not dive where you'll be in danger of crossing over into the red zone on a one/two tank tour unless you're doing deep wall dives. The dive master should have a good dive profile, deep then shallow but it's up to you to make sure you agree with the profile. We actually dove with our dive instructor on a boat and the dive master wanted to do a "reverse" dive profile and we all refused to dive it. They changed the profiles and we were happy but we wondered how many did this profile in the past.

I have a dive computer but I use it in conjunction with my dive tables. Between/after the dives I calculate where I am then double check with my computer. I have to say that rarely do I even come close to maxing out on two dives. If you learned on the tables and are comfortable about your experience with them then there shouldn't be an issue and you can save your pennies for a really good computer when you're ready.

With that said, a lot of people on this board are "computer divers" who have their dive tables collecting dust. I don't have a problem with that but the industry has recognized that each dive computer has different ideals of what a conservative dive profile is (there's lots of articles on this). I choose dive tables myself because if you and I dive on the same profile using tables we'll have the same deco and profile info for the second dive, can't guarantee that with two different computers. But they are very convienent and provide a lot of information (especially if they're air enabled). :)

Finally, you can 'rent' computers but depending on how new you are that may not be a good ideal as you need to really know how to operate it and what signals it gives you. If you rent a computer and it starts beeping at you underwater does that mean you're rising too fast, you've gone too deep, you've run out of time for your profile, or the battery's almost dead?

Happy diving,

Randall

I am computer diver. In fact, I have two of them with me when I dive, one on the console and the other on my wrist. My wrist computer is a Suunto Vyper.

Suunto is known for their conservative dive profiles so it's the one I primarily use. I prefer to dive conservatively. The other, an Aeris, is simply a back up.

I've always been glad I've had the computer because dive masters haven't been as prepared as I would have expected them to be. Reverse profiles are not unusual and they will do them without telling you. I have also ended one dive because my computer told me that I had 10 minutes of no deco time left and the dive master wanted to keep going.

Before I owned a computer my local dive shop was encouraging me to get one. I was planning a vacation in Hawaii that included some diving and didn't know if my dive shop was trying to increase their sales or trying to help me out. So I called the dive operator in Hawaii that I was going to use and asked them if I needed a computer. They told me that they wouldn't say I needed one but they would say that I would always be better off with one than without one.

As a result, I bought the Suunto. Later, I bought a new complete regulator console setup and the Aeris was included, so I ended up with two.

I have never regretted having a computer (or two).

Denny

I'm with the others. I would have my own. Mine is the console on my regulator set up. Have not yet had the $$ to get a wrist one. You never know how the dive masters are on the trips. I also use my dive tables.

Denny,

I see you did Tahiti. I'm on that cruise in October.... Can you email me with your diving recommendations/ports? :p

We did a ton of safe two tank dives pre-computer, but had a few issues with dive master's profiles as the others have stated. Love my Suunto in my console. Now I worry less, especially on multilevel dives.

As 10 X, I dive with two, my primary is a Nemo Excel, and as a back up a Genesis React Pro. The Mares unit is a primary due it's more conservative RGBM algorithm. We do some liveaboard diving with 3 to 5 dives per day for 6 + days straight, so the more conservative RGBM is a safety factor. The redundancy allows for un-interupted diving if one of the units fail on a trip. The redundancy is really not needed for cruise ship type diving where in the worst case you fall back on the tables with out too big a penalty or risk, and have plenty of time to off gas before the next stop!!

Do not put your safety in the hands of "divemasters" when you have the option of control. Even the cheapest of dive computers will provide you the dive data you need to plan/perform your dives and repetitive dives accordingly.

If a dive computer is not an option, then consider renting one for the trip or simply pick up an inexpensive dive watch and wrist depth gauge and use the tables.

I am a recreational diver. I do not have a dive computer. Will we need one for a one tank two dive tour or will the dive master have the dive profiles figured out?

I was taught to dive on tables and have never used a dive computer. I'm not sure but you should have dive tables and a good dive watch. They are required for any certification where I live.

I was also taught that YOU are responsible for yourself. I would not trust a stranger with my life. Unless you are personal friends with the dive master do not trust them to figure out your dive profile. Most the time the profiles I have done have been WELL within the limits of my dive tables but just this December past we had to sit around on the boat between dives because the appropriate surface interval had not elapsed. Because the two dive sites where 10 minutes apart, we had to just hang out on the boat for 45 minutes.

If you don't have your own computer, you should be responsible for your own dive profile and plan your dive in advance using either the tables or the wheel.

A decent dive computer isn't all that expensive. For example, you could get the Aeris XR-1 Wrist Computer for $144.95

Is the Aeris Wrist Computer self explanatory or does it come with instructions that are easy to figure out without needing to take a course? If so, I'd like to get one before our March trip. Thanks!

It will come with an instruction book to tell you what all the symbols mean, and that particular unit is pretty basic so figuring it out shouldn't be rocket science. Still, this is one time when I would certainly want to read the manual before using the device.

I see from one of the later posts you did purchase your computer. Congrats on the new toy. The part that troubles me is relying on anyone other than your self to confirm your dive plan. It is the responsibility of the divemster to tell you about the divesite. Depth, water & current conditions... It is always the divers responsibility to preplan thier dive and verify their diveplan against a set of tables or computer. Take personal conditions into consideration for your plan; am I out of shape, how hard will I be working on this dive, am I hung over or had a lot to drink prior to diving. To record their post-dive information in a log should be a habit. I work in the electronics industry, and the one thing I can tell you is when you don't want a circut card(ie dive computer) to fail they do, so let your logbook be the backup device, let a set of dive tables be a backup device.

That being said, enjoy the new toy and enjoy your dives!

I see from one of the later posts you did purchase your computer. Congrats on the new toy. The part that troubles me is relying on anyone other than your self to confirm your dive plan. It is the responsibility of the divemster to tell you about the divesite. Depth, water & current conditions... It is always the divers responsibility to preplan thier dive and verify their diveplan against a set of tables or computer. Take personal conditions into consideration for your plan; am I out of shape, how hard will I be working on this dive, am I hung over or had a lot to drink prior to diving. To record their post-dive information in a log should be a habit. I work in the electronics industry, and the one thing I can tell you is when you don't want a circut card(ie dive computer) to fail they do, so let your logbook be the backup device, let a set of dive tables be a backup device.

That being said, enjoy the new toy and enjoy your dives!

I plan to also use my log book as well and of course, have my dive table in hand as a backup. The computer will be a new thing (hope I can figure it out by our next trip) for me and I will never let go of my trusty dive table and log book.

The Aeris dive computers are well made and a good bargain. My son dives an XR-1 and I dive a Genesis React Pro as a back up and a Nemo Excel as a primary. Leisurepro has some good deals on computers and is where 2 of ours came from. The Aeris XR-1 and cousins are made by Palagic, same outfit that makes computers for Genesis and Sherwood. Not sure who makes the smaller versions like the Aeris Manta, ( the Oceanic Geo can be had a LP for $ 299.00!!) but the smaller versions are virtually the same as the Oceanic brethren. My son dives the XR-1, we have no complaints, a solid unit, well built and reliable, the battery is user replaceable and costs around 5 bucks, and is the same battery as my Genesis React Pro, the compatibility is nice!! The main difference in the Aeris unit and the Genesis is the way the information is conveyed, time on the XR-1 with a small bar graph and time and a longer bar graph for the Genesis depending on configuration. Both interfaces work just fine for me!! If you set up the XR-1 for automatic activation when wet / submerged, you just monitor from that point on. One point of interest, there are two basic algorithms in use for dive computers, one Haldane ( Haldanian to some) the other RBGM. I have dove the Haldane for years and never an issue, though it is rated among the most liberal in the industry. To my knowledge there is not much difference if any between the H. algorithms between units. My sons Aeris matches my Genesis to a T time after time. RGBM is more conservative, and encourages a different ascent profile. The RGBM conservatism I understand kicks in more on multiple repetitive dives, day after day. The bottom time RGBM has allowed me on 2 tank dives is not that much different than the Haldane model, however I never dive the Genesis into the caution area any way. At the end end of the day it is a matter of choice and personal preference. For the money the XR-1 can't be beat, a great unit!

No, you do not need a computer when you are diving with a tour. Their profiles are well planned and well within recreational limits.

If you have one and choose to take it, great. You can use the info to fill out your dive log. But having a computer will not change the tour's course in any way.

D.

No, you do not need a computer when you are diving with a tour. Their profiles are well planned and well within recreational limits.

If you have one and choose to take it, great. You can use the info to fill out your dive log. But having a computer will not change the tour's course in any way.

D.

I think this should read, "Their profiles are USUALLY well planned...". I've been on dives were the staff dive to what they are capable of and have no concern for the capability of the people they are taking down. One of the first dives, as a certified diver, I went on the dive master took us to 31m and we were down for 33 minutes. I used a watch to mark the time down and I looked at my pressure gauge, after the dive, to determine max depth. I can only assume we spent most of our time above 31m because according to my dive tables I would be well into a deco dive if I spent significant time at 31m (I don't have my dive table handy but I think I could spent 18 minutes at 100 feet). If she tried that today I would have refused but back then I, wrongly, assumed she wouldn't take us anywhere we weren't capable of diving.

Now that I have my own gear I don't have to worry about dealing with dive gear that is metric. Just in case though I always think about how much 33ft, 66ft, 99ft are in metric just before I dive. This way I don't have to do the conversion underwater; I can set in my mind I'm only going to 18m and I can do that for 47 minutes. If I'm doing two dives I plan 18m for the first dive and 9m for the second dive, I'll calculate how long I can stay down just before the second dive. Without my dive tables and a good watch I wouldn't be able to do this.

Archived