Great Sturrup Cay questions

hammsz

We were just there a week ago. They tender you into the beach where they have items you can rent. I think a snorkle and fins are $29 for the day(pretty high if you ask me). A floating mat(big enough for one) is $12 for the day and a large floating mat, sorta like a big floating disk which will hold 2 or 3 is $25 for the day. The ship's personnel come on land and cook up and serve a BBQ lunch, hot dogs, chicken, burgers, salads, etc. Pretty good. There also are some locals that have a gift shopping area where you can get all the normal sorts of stuff. There are a few regular type beach lounge chairs but most are the short low style ones. Also there are a few hammocks and lots of picnic tables.

When we went last Sept. they had an barbeque the evening we arrived. The ship anchors and they tender you into the island. They have a bar, music and dancing, games and a limbo show. It was a lot of fun. The next day we spent a lot of time snorkeling, there are reefs all around the beach area and the fish are amazing, we even saw rays. We brought our own snorkles and masks, which saves you money, but you can rent the cruise lines gear-they had a rental area right on the beach. There are beach chairs, umbrellas, hammocks, lots of picnic tables. There are trails around the island if you want to explore. There is a open air shop on the hill that sells t-shirts and stuff. They had a cookout again for lunch. I did see people para-sailing but we didn't look into it, so I can't give you any info on that. But the island is beautiful, and we really enjoyed it. It was our favorite stop.

I also was there last week, and there were no jet ski's to rent. I love this island. When you go, tell the band Flex that Big Joe wants to hear Sweet Home Alabama.....they play at the pool and also on the Island. Great Guys when you get to know them. I have seen them 5 times and been to Great Stirrup Cay a lot and it just gets better every time!!!! Enjoy

We also rented some type of water scooter thing. They held on with just your hands at it took off-kind of dragging you along. Had a big bike flag off the top of it. Cannot remember the cost. Kids loved it- did not look like anything I wanted to try!

I did parasailing there in May 2006. I know they use to only run it certain months of the year.

I like the idea of doing it there because you are out in the middle of the ocean with no buildings to accidently go crashing in to. :)

My daughter parasailed there Jan 1/08. The cost was $ 79.00. We were told it does not run in the winter months. However I see on the NCL website that it is currently listed under shore excurisions. She booked once aboard.

I loved Island. What I did was...before I went on the cruise, I purchased a few small, round, pool-type blow up tubes at the local Dollar Store. Then I went to a pool place and purchased an inexpensive blow up pump. Put them into my carrying bag, went to the beach that day, inflated them, and just sat on the tube in the water soaking up the sun. Didn't want to spend $$$ on renting one of the ones they had on the beach.... Now I bring these tubes on every cruise..

We were there last August on the Dawn and are going the week of 4/12 on the Gem, my 2 daughters can't wait they loved Great S. Cay. They are so excited because they can stay even longer on this cruise. It is beautiful, we snorkeled, don't bother it was $29 and we really didn't see as many fish as we did in Bermuda or other ports. The water is great, we swam every 20 minutes because it was so hot, we played volleyball with the other guests for hours, my husband entered the tournament and we had a great time. The food on the island was great, there was chicken, burgers and hot dogs, fruit and salads. They also set up a small market with t-shirts, magnets and stuff like that. Much better than the straw market in Nassau. You will love it, we can't wait to get back there and relax on the tree hammocks.:o

Is there a "shark net" at this island...may seem like a strange question, but I have an unreasonable fear of sharks. I only enjoy the ocean in these cases.:rolleyes:

Sorry' date=' no shark nets at GSC.

PE[/quote']

I don't think I would want to swim anywhere they felt shark nets were needed :eek:

My ex-girlfriend had same unreasonable fears. Never went in the ocean again after her dad took her to see Jaws as a kid. She was comfortable enoungh in the cove at GSC to at least wade in the shallow waters. First time in the ocean in 30+ years !!

Archived