traveling with our 12 year old

butcherbob

We just got off the Holiday with our 12 year old son and he had his best cruise ever. There is a new Camp Carnival group called Circle C, which is for 12 to 14 year olds. They did activities like truth or dare, arts and crafts, free arcade, swimming under the stars, dinner with friends, make your own sundae party... Every night from 8 to 9 they had a party in the disco and then after the party they did activities until midnight. The only down side I saw was during the afternoon there were large gaps of no activities. During this time we ate lunch, swam or he would meet up with his friends on the Lido deck. This age group is supervised but can check in and out as they please. My son was told to come back to the cabin immediately at midnight but he told me many other kids in this group were allowed to stay out later as long as they checked in every hour. I did allow him to stay out one night for an extra hour. I did discuss with him he is not allowed in anyones cabin and he is not to go with any crew member anywhere. They usually just went up to the Lido deck for the midnight buffet or ice cream.

Our dd is 11 and she really enjoys it.

We did not have a issue with her signing herself out. We just told her 1st time

she abused it in any fashion and she would spend the rest of the vacation

with mom and dad. Never had a problem.

We will not allow her to roam the ship at all without a purpose.

We just got off a cruise with our 12 yo DS. He LOVES cruising (it was his sixth cruise). This year, he was in a new age group. He met some other kids (there were not a lot on our sailing for some reason) and had a great time with them. I do not recall all of their activities, except that he loved the ping pong (there was a tournament that he missed, though, because we were not back from our excursion) and a guitar hero event.

Definitely have her go to the age group meeting on the first night so she can meet her peers.

My GD is a pretty experienced cruiser. She always goes to the party the first night, meets plenty of kids her age, and has a ball the rest of the trip. We did the Miracle with her last summer, and the kids (she was 14) had a great time. Their favorite place was on the deck that you can walk around the front of the ship that is enclosed with glass (forget which deck) and they would sit up there in the front and talk for hours. We always know where she is and what she's doing. She's always been very good about that and checks in with us frequently. We are planning this summer's trip with her and she is excited about being part of the Club O2.

Your 12 year old will be fine -- just follow the advice about going that first night to meet the other kids in that age group. Carnival is great with the kids!!!!!

Archived