yet another travel insurance question...

jlkc

I have been reading various trip insurance policies and am confused about what is considered a "trip delay". We are flying direct on the same day that the cruise departs (I know it's a big no-no, but it couldn't be helped) and the flight is supposed to arrive at 12:41pm. The ship departs at 4:30pm. If our flight is delayed more than 3 (or so) hours, we will obviously miss our cruise. However, all policies have "trip delay" with various number of hours (the ones I looked at had between 5+ and 12+) specified. Since 3 hours is not greater than 5 or 12 hours, will we be covered as long as we include both flight and cruise costs in the coverage? Also, would this situation be considered a trip delay or trip interruption? TIA!

quote.gif

I have been reading various trip insurance policies and am confused about what is considered a "trip delay". We are flying direct on the same day that the cruise departs (I know it's a big no-no, but it couldn't be helped) and the flight is supposed to arrive at 12:41pm. The ship departs at 4:30pm. If our flight is delayed more than 3 (or so) hours, we will obviously miss our cruise. However, all policies have "trip delay" with various number of hours (the ones I looked at had between 5+ and 12+) specified. Since 3 hours is not greater than 5 or 12 hours, will we be covered as long as we include both flight and cruise costs in the coverage? Also, would this situation be considered a trip delay or trip interruption? TIA!

quote.gif

I see you're new to the CC boards and I don't want to discourage you from posting to your hearts content. There are many friendly and helpful people on these boards, but isn't your question better directed to an agent of the insurance company?

You'll probably get answers here, but us folks on CC aren't insurance agents, even though we might play one on this board.:D

Read the fine print over and over again. Each element of coverage often has separate coverage maximum "limit". If the trip delay has a maximum, only that amount is covered. Many policies have a max pp of $500 to $1000 for trip delay. Verbal assurances even from the agent is of no use when it is time to make a claim.

Agree with previous poster that these questions are best directed to the insurance agent or company.

I believe that some insurance companies do not cover certain airline delays especially those of several hours. You also need to make sure you are covered for the cruise if you do not take the next available flight to reach it.

You might want to read this thread about someone's experience.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=714697&page=2&highlight=missed+

I read that thread -- that's why I'm concerned!

I called the 800 number and spoke to an agent. She assured me that I would be covered under a combination of trip delay and trip interruption. However, like the poster above, I'm not sure if I believe her since the fine print on the policy says "coverage is not provided for losses caused by or as a result of carrier-caused delays including a ... strike..." It also says coverage is provided only if it is "cancelled or interrupted due to inclement weather causing delay or cancellation of travel" which may not be the cause of the flight delay.

Because I realize that agents don't always give the correct info, that is why I'm asking here. It's too bad we can't trust what they say, but I've heard (and read) too many stories that prove that is the case.

In any case, I don't see anything in the fine print that says this case is covered. I may be just out of luck if this should happen, like the gentleman in the previously mentioned thread was. :(

One thing you also need to keep in mind is that with the new Homeland Security measures where the completed manifest of all those checked in must be submitted at least 60 minutes before sailing, the ship must check you in no later than 3:30PM or else you could be denied boarding so you really have only a two-hour delay window (taking into account that you land at 12:41PM and then you'll need time to get your luggage and to the pier.) I don't know where you're flying to but it took over 45 minutes for the luggage from my flight yesterday to even start arriving on the carousel. So, even if you land on time, it's unlikely that you'll even leave the airport until 1:30PM.

Do your research and make sure you get your answers on the insurance because with today's flying schedules, that's a very tight margin for error. It might be clear and perfect flying weather in your city but if your plane is coming from somewhere else and is delayed, there you'll be. :(

To the poor man who is trying to get TravelGuard to pay his claim, all I can say is, two years ago, when we bought a TravelGuard policy through our (not on-line) travel agent and I got sick the first night of a 4-day cruise, winding up in a hospital the next 4 days, it took 9 months of dealing with the Better Business Bureau (TG has an unsatisfactory rating!)and all the way up to the state insurance commissioner before TravelGuard condescended to pay anything. The next step was a law-suit, but we decided to "eat" the unrecovered costs and let us many people as possible know about that insurance company and to warn them.:mad:

Depending on the plan and the circumstances, it could be a trip interruption, or it could be a trip delay, or some plans have a separate "missed connection" benefit. And, as one person already explained to you it could be a combination of two or more. For example, this is from CSA's trip interruption benefit:

Here's what they'll cover:

"an Insured misses the cruise or tour departure because their airline flight is delayed for 3 or more hours, due to: a) any delay of a Common Carrier. The delay must be certified by the Common Carrier; or b) Inclement Weather preventing the Insured from getting to the point of departure; or c) quarantine, hijacking, Strike, natural disaster, terrorism or riot."

And here's what they'll pay for:

"Benefits will be paid, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount [this is 150% of the trip cost you insure], for the non-refundable, unused portion of the prepaid expenses for land or water Travel Arrangements and the Additional Transportation Cost paid to return home or rejoin the Covered Trip "

So under trip interruption they'll cover your airfare to catch up with the cruise and reimburse you for any missed days on the ship.

But what about hotels meals, that sort of thing? Here's from the trip delay benefit:

Here's what they cover:

"PART A TRIP DELAY

If an Insured is delayed for 6 hours or more during the Covered Trip, due to:

any delay of a Common Carrier. The delay must be certified by the Common Carrier;"

And here's what they pay for:

"Benefits will be paid on a one-time basis, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount, for Reasonable expenses for hotel accommodations, telephone calls, meals and local transportation up to $150 per day."

So, depending on the circunstances, with this plan a three hour or more delay could involve claims against both the trip interruption and trip delay coverages. But with other plans it might be the trip delay benefit only as many require a delay of 12 to 24 hours in order for the trip interruption benefit to kick in. And with some other plans a three hour delay would not be enough to be covered under ANY benefit.

Getting it in writing looks like your only hope of recovering some things as you pointed out the keyword is "certified by the Common Carrier".

I remember reading about damaged luggage which also needed certification of damage by the airline.

Getting it in writing looks like your only hope of recovering some things as you pointed out the keyword is "certified by the Common Carrier".

All of the insurers give you a tollfree/collect phone number to call for assistance. Any time it even looks like there might be a claim against the policy you should call that number and find out exactly what kind of documentation you will need to submit with the claim. Getting the proper paperwork after the fact when you're hundreds or thousands of miles from the scene of the loss can be impossible.

Archived