Galaxy - Taormina and Mt Etna tour

Hi all

I think this is the tour for us when we call at Messina...does anyone know how much free time you get in Taormina as it doesn't say on the website?

All it says is you'll get time to shop or to eat a snack and to browse so I'm hoping it's not half an hour! Actually the tour says it's an 8 hr tour but we are only docked for 6 hrs! Hmmm....

Tinka14

My DH and I did this in July 2006 on the Galaxy. I don't remember exactly how much time we had, but we did get to spend time on our own at the stadium and then we walked around the town. We each had a gelato and took many pictures. I would say that we maybe had an hour on our own in Tourmina. This was after visiting Mt. Etna and having lunch.

Tinka,

The Taormina tour you are talking about is an 8 hour tour. Obviously when your specific tours come out for your sailing date, that will not be included if you are in port for 6 hours. I too am going on Galaxy in May. Our stop is also 6 hours in Messina. Your best bet would be to do the Taormina on your own tour through Celebrity. This way you can rest easy that you will get back to the ship on time. It will take about 1 hour each way to get there and back, so unfortunately you will not have that much time, but it is worth it. Taormina is beautiful. My husband and I spent a few days there and we loved it.

Enjoy!

Hi Shabal57 - that is probably the best option then..I discussed with hubby and he wasn't too bothered about going up Etna esp if it is cloudy as you don't see anything but I have seen pics of Taormina and of course you get the great view towards Etna as well as the history, culture and of course all importantly the shopping and food!

We're also considering staying local around Messina but need to do a bit more reading up on that option..personally I think Taormina ia the one.

Thanks for your help.

Tinka14

We're also considering staying local around Messina but need to do a bit more reading up on that option..personally I think Taormina ia the one.

We've called at Messina each of the last two summers, on Galaxy, and gone to Taormina each time. The two trips were a bit different.

First, the coach ride to/from Taormina is quite enjpyable. it's along a motorway running along the sicilian coastline, and it's more scenic than you might expect (once you get out of Messina, of course). The sea os on one side, and there are mountains on the other, with the road squeezed in between. The journey takes about an hour, maybe a little more. Taormina is some hundreds of feet up the mountainside, so when you arrive at the right exit the road starts corkscrewing to gain height. Eventually you arrive at the ground floor of of a large multi-storey carpark where the bus is parked, and you take he lift up and exit at the top, where you find yourself almost at Taormina street-level. Follow the guide up a slope for a couple of hundred yards until you reach the gateway at one end of Corso Umberto, the main street, and that's it - from then on your time's your own. The guide will tell you where and at what time to reassemble, and that's it. The theatre is at the far end of Corso Umberto (and turn right, I think) but there are many shops, a cathedral, the municipal offices, etc, along the street. And lots of side streets with other small shops, restaurants, and so on.

The first year I was there on my own and enjoyed it greatly - it was pleasantly warm and I was able to explore as much as I liked as well as have a quick lunch. Last summer, however, it was very very hot, and most people had given up 30 or 40 minutes before the appointed assembly time, and were just waiting to get back on the (air-conditioned!) coach to go back to the ship. So the weather can affect the experience - there are many narrow streets in Taormina and on that particular hot & humid day they seemd particularly airless.

I blogged about that day here:-

http://tomtotley.wordpress.com/2007/06/23/day-2-taormina/

and a general blog about the whole cruise on Galaxy here:

http://tomtotley.wordpress.com/category/galaxy-2007/

Hi Tom,

Excellent Blog thank you, I think I have read your review previously..thankfully we are going the 1st week of October as we know the Greek islands are still very pleasantly warm then and to avoid the heat of Rome in the summer - we have been to Santorini, Rhodes and Kos in October, great weather and Rome in July, not recommended!!!!

Tinka14

Archived