Which camera? one for Pierces before you go cruising!!!

ciara

Any for anyone else who can advise me!!!

I want a point and shoot - options -:

Canon SD850IS

Canon 870IS - wide angle - no viewfinder

Canon S5 IS

Canon G9

And a different one to just confuse me

Casio EX- V8

Please help me here Dave before you go - I have done a lot of research - S5 and G9 quite bulky but will accept that if need be

Have a great cruise

Thanks

Any for anyone else who can advise me!!!

I want a point and shoot - options -:

Canon SD850IS

Canon 870IS - wide angle - no viewfinder

Canon S5 IS

Canon G9

And a different one to just confuse me

Casio EX- V8

Please help me here Dave before you go - I have done a lot of research - S5 and G9 quite bulky but will accept that if need be

Have a great cruise

Thanks

Others will have good advice as well. I feel Cannon makes great cameras especally the ELPH series which would be 850 IS or 870 IS in your list. If size is very important they are good but I myself would not buy anything without a viewfinder. I know there is yet another ELPH 9** IS I believe that has a Viewfinder. The G9 really isn't near as large as it previous models. I have a G3 which I must say has been a fantastic and sturdy camera. I may soon replace it with a new G9 or perhaps the high end Elph as a backup to my DSLR or when I don't want to carry the large camera. If you ever want to do something a little more advance other than Point and Shoot the G9 gives you some capability. I am sure Dave will have some great advice for you as well.

Really depends on what you want to shoot. My parents are going to Alaska for a few months this year. I got my dad an S5 IS with the teleconverter for shooting wildlife.

On the flip side, a coworker was scheduled to go to China for a week. He wanted a good camera to put in his pocket that he could pull out quickly and get good shots in the city. I showed him my SD700IS and he was blown away by the speed. I showed him a bit about what wide angle would enable him to do in the city and he chose the 870IS and he loves it.

So you have to decide for yourself what you plan to shoot and where you will be using the camera. Personally I want to replace my SD700 with a G9 for its manual capabilities now that I have learned to use it on my DSLR. I bought my DSLR because I wanted more flexibility and control and to learn a lot more about photography. In the past, I chose my SD700 because I wanted something I could put in my pocket and get pictures anywhere and everywhere.

I hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Have read ure blog - glad u had a good time and looking forward to ure photos

Could u have a look at the selection of P&S that I posted - have added another one to selection and leaning towards this one - Panasonic Lumix TZ5.

Like the idea of the wide angle also fact that it zooms during movie clips

It is expensive - dont mind that but is it worth the extra expense?

I know there are not many reviews cos it is so new but recon you can tell a lot by the specs. Thanks

Assume you've compared them side by side:

http://*****.com/28qufu

I agree with Randy. Only you can decide what's important. Is it more important to photograph wildlife in the distance, or to fit the camera in a shirt pocket? Or are you really concerned about image quality? If you can post what's important to you, you might get more input.

You've already gotten some good advice here, so I'll just add my 2¢ worth.

If you need the extra zoom, go for the S5.

If you feel the need for a lot of control over the picture-taking process, the G9 is pretty impressive.

If you truly want a point and shoot that will take good pictures without a lot of input from you (as will both of the above on full auto), but want a compact 24x7, carry-anywhere camera, I'd choose the SD870 (wider angle than the SD850).

I have an SD800 which is one model older than the SD870 and am very pleased with it's performance.

Hope that helps.

Dave

Thankyou all for your help.

I guess I will have to stop agonising and start buying - I read too much!!!! Will let you know what I purchase.

Am for Sardinia in April and tho have my D40 need a P&S for hubby and some video clips. (Middle son has "borrowed" my own P&S!!!)

Thanks again

• 4 years later...

/Users/panzproductions/Desktop/8071759809_d47422c93b_m.jpg/Users/panzproductions/Desktop/8071760747_02ac422c12_m.jpg/Users/panzproductions/Desktop/8071756987_fa59a206a9_m.jpg/Users/panzproductions/Desktop/8071758829_e7dcf17a23_m.jpg/Users/panzproductions/Desktop/8071757823_39913ac28f_m.jpg

Archived