Diving w/Dolphins in Roatan?

FliLady

Has anyone done this excursion? I called Anthony's Key Resort and they said you can only book this excursion through the cruiseship if you are sailing, not independently. Is it worth it?

Sorry but for me there's an ethical issue with this dive. The dophins are in an enclosure in the open sea (check out the Anthony's Key Resort map on their website) and I just have a hard time promoting interactions with captured dophins. If they were in the sea free to visit that's one thing but in a "large open-water caged" environment, I personally wouldn't support it. Sorry again, it's just me but folks who regularly read these boards know I don't support standing on coral, feeding fish or inapproprate interaction with anything in the ocean.

Randall

Wouldn't swimming with them in their own environment, where they are free to choose whether or not to interract with you be far more satisfying? I know that chances of that happening are always slim, but someday, somewhere... That's why you keep diving, right? Waiting for those big chance encounters.

Wouldn't swimming with them in their own environment, where they are free to choose whether or not to interract with you be far more satisfying? I know that chances of that happening are always slim, but someday, somewhere... That's why you keep diving, right? Waiting for those big chance encounters.

Actually I've had the luck to snorkel with a family of dophins. I went on a dophin encounter in Key West were we went to a sandy patch of ocean that the local dophins frequent. We pretty much put the boat at anchor to see if any dophins wanted to interact (no chasing or feeding dophins on this boat). After a while a group came over to the boat and we slipped into the water. We snorkeled out a bit and the dophins came in to check us out. We didn't get within touching distance but it was pretty cool having them circle around and below us while we lazilly floated on the surface. When they tired of us they just swam away to another part of the sand area. It was pretty cool. :)

Randall

Archived