First to Alaska this May

Blessed One

First cruiser and we (family of 7) are going to Alaska by Coarl Princess in coming May. Great appreciated if any suggestions for the followings , thanks!

1) We will travel from San Francisco --> Seattle --> Vancouver, still finding hotel in Vancouver (it is also the first time we will be there). Which area of vancouver should we stay that it is near to the port, of course not those 5 stars hotel.

2) We are wondering how to go to airport after leaving the port of Whittier, I see the map of the city, it seems a long way that it is impossible to take cab (we wonder if it is easy to call cab in that city either)

3) I read some posts about the soda cards. How does it work? One lump sum paid for as many as I can or pay for each drink?

4) Any good shore excursion for Juneau or Skagway? Must I reserve it from Princess or is there any "tour" on the shore?

5) I search some web saying "whale watching" but cost over $100 per person. Anyone joined those tour before? Can we really see the whale?

So far these are pop-up questions in my mind, thanks a lot in advance.

In Vancouver, we stayed at the Blue Horizon on Robson Street. You didn't mention which pier your ship would be leaving from. If your ship is leaving from Ballentyne, you don't want to stay near the pier anyway. It's not a safe area. The Blue Horizon is within walkable distance to Canada Place pier, but I wouldn't recommend doing it to board the ship if you have more than one piece of luggage per person or there are small children in your party. We used the Entertainment card to get a rate of $155 a night for a queen/queen superior room for two nights. But you have to book fairly early. The hotels that participate with the Entertainment card only have to give a great rate if they are at less than 80% occupancy when you book. Anyway, it was a great location and huge room. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

In Juneau, we went whale watching with Harv & Marv, but their boats only hold six passengers so they wouldn't work for you. I've heard Ocra mentioned several times with positive reviews. We did see several whales, mainly flukes not breaches. I know H&M had a partial refund if no whales were spotted. Don't know about other operators. We loved it.

juneau and skagway have websites, great information and lists of local vendors. the best information is on the alaska boards:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

you will find other posts about the transfers to the anchorage airport.

it is best to have some tours prebooked or planned. that way you are not fighting the crowds to see things. there are a lot of local vendors, no need to book through the ship (unless you want to). juneau has much to do without tours...shuttle to mendenhall glacier and other viewing areas.

First cruiser and we (family of 7) are going to Alaska by Coarl Princess in coming May. Great appreciated if any suggestions for the followings , thanks!

1) We will travel from San Francisco --> Seattle --> Vancouver, still finding hotel in Vancouver (it is also the first time we will be there). Which area of vancouver should we stay that it is near to the port, of course not those 5 stars hotel.

2) We are wondering how to go to airport after leaving the port of Whittier, I see the map of the city, it seems a long way that it is impossible to take cab (we wonder if it is easy to call cab in that city either)

3) I read some posts about the soda cards. How does it work? One lump sum paid for as many as I can or pay for each drink?

4) Any good shore excursion for Juneau or Skagway? Must I reserve it from Princess or is there any "tour" on the shore?

5) I search some web saying "whale watching" but cost over $100 per person. Anyone joined those tour before? Can we really see the whale?

Hello,

You do not say if you are driving from San Francisco or you are flying SF - SEATAC - Vancouver. If you are driving to Vancouver, the Town and Country Inn is in the southeastern suburban area of Vancouver, about 30 - 40 minutes from Canada Place or the Ballantyne pier. We stayed here in July of 2007 and it is a nice, no hassle place with nice rooms, and at a very reasonable price. Within two miles or so of the Inn, there are supermarkets, restaurants, and a McDonald's. There is a company called Cruise Parking near the piers in Vancouver where you can leave your car. Your family's driver drops you off at the terminal and then goes and parks the car. he or she can take the shuttle back to the terminal.

If you are flying into Vancouver, consider renting a van with a pick up at the airport and drop off at a car rental location in downtown Vancouver. This will give you a lot of flexibility in terms of selecting hotels, restaurants and sightseeing in Vancouver. There are some very nice and reasonably priced hotels in neighborhoods near the airport such as in Richmond.

Consider renting a van in Skagway and driving up into the Canadian Yukon. This will be a great travel experience at much less cost than a tour. There is an Avis office in Skagway. The drive from Skagway to Whitehorse is a DO NOT MISS experience but you will need about 8 hours or so.

Again, rent a car in Juneau as this is the best way to see all of Juneau and DO NOT MISS Auke Bay and St Theresa's Catholic Church even if you are not Catholic. If there are serious hikers in your group consider a hike up the East Loop Trail at the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau. Say hello to Konnie at Rent A Wreck in Juneau as this company will pick you up at the pier and give you a ride back to the pier from their office near the airport.

I have not been to Whittier, but a whale watching trip is really a wonderful treat but with 7 people maybe it is best left for another time. We went on a really nice trip to Kenai Fjords from Seward and saw lots of whales including some unforgettable Orcas (this is for those who will visit Seward).

You might consider renting a van to transport you from Whittier to Anchorage. Even with a one way charge it might be less costly than paying for other transportation.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

Thanks for the suggestions, especially renting a van. My sister and I always think if we find the hotel in downtown (both Seattle and Vancouver), there should be fine and no need to rent a car. After reading your posts, it seem it is a good idea and we should do that.

However, is it easy to find a rental car company in Juneau or in Skagway? Should we look up now and reserve it or it is easier to do that when we are there? Any good recommendation about the car company? Thanks.

If you want to rent a vehicle, you need to do it as soon as possible, because there is a limited supply and thousands of people converging on each port at one time. Many will think they can just pick one up when they get there, and then find out that there are none available.

Though we did hear a funny story in Juneau - someone either stole or borrowed a car, but there's no where else to go (no roads leaving Juneau) so they just abandoned it.

If you want to rent a vehicle, you need to do it as soon as possible, because there is a limited supply and thousands of people converging on each port at one time. Many will think they can just pick one up when they get there, and then find out that there are none available.

Though we did hear a funny story in Juneau - someone either stole or borrowed a car, but there's no where else to go (no roads leaving Juneau) so they just abandoned it.

Thanks for reminding, Carmen.

Carmen (and Blessed One),

It really isn't true that there are no roads in Juneau. Most people who visit Juneau do not go beyond Mendenhall Glacier but there is Auke Bay and especially Saint Theresa's (this is a Catholic Church that is situated in a very scenic place with views of the mountains, the bay, and the woods).

It is also nice to have a car, so that you can visit the Mendenhall Glacier and stay as long as you want to, and for the physically fit to climb up the East Loop Trail at Mendenhall.

There is also a scenic ride to see Douglas Island, which is across a bridge from downtown Juneau.

As for renting cars, Rent A Wreck is an excellent company (say hello to the owner, Konnie) in Juneau. They will pick you up within walking distance of the cruise ship, take you to their facility near the airport. You return the car there and they will transport you back downtown.

There is an Avis off ice in Skagway, within walking of the ship's dock.

I would contact both as soon as you have an idea where you want to go and what you want to see.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

Hello,

It is very easy to drive in Juneau, as there are very good roads in and about Juneau.

As for Skagway, you do not need a car to see Skagway as this is a small town that can easily be seen on foot.

If you do not have a back up driver, it is my view that you should not drive up into the Canadian Yukon. There is enough people to help you if you become incapacitated and the roads are excellent but still, you need to make it back to the ship in plenty of time in order to get gas, return the car and walk back to the ship before the ship sails. Without a back up driver you are taking a chance that for a first timer to Alaska may not be prudent.

Here is an idea for you....there are things to see and do in Skagway, and maybe some of the others in your group will allow you to take the train to Whitehorse (expensive) while they stay in Skagway and enjoy the day and the ship.

I stand by my original recommendation to rent a car in Skagway, as this is the best and least expensive way to enjoy this magnificent area. You should have, however, at least one- back up driver.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

Coral is beautiful--was on her to Alaska last year.

Stayed in the Pinnacle marriott. A bit on the price side, but only 4 blocks to Canada place and about a 20 minute walk to Stanley park (a great place to see if you have time) and the service was great (treated my DS fantastic for his 8th birthday)

Took the Princess transfer for $55/pp. Guided tour to Anchorage.

Can't remember the price, but it is unlimited fountain drinks, however, it is supposed to be per person, but DH and I got them and then allowed the kids to use them once in a while when we weren't.

Our splurge tour was in Skagway. Booked through Princess since our first cruise. Did a helicopter/glacier trek. Well worth it! I am not sure what the kids enjoyed more, the helicopter ride or walking on the glacier.

We took a whale watching in Juneau, but my 9yo got bored as once you see a whale, if it dives, it can be down for as long as 13 minutes.

Happy cruising!

It really isn't true that there are no roads in Juneau. Most people who visit Juneau do not go beyond Mendenhall Glacier but there is Auke Bay and especially Saint Theresa's (this is a Catholic Church that is situated in a very scenic place with views of the mountains, the bay, and the woods).

This was told to us by Pete from Harv & Marv's. We obviously went to Auke Bay for our whale watching, but what Pete meant, is you can't get far.

It is also nice to have a car, so that you can visit the Mendenhall Glacier and stay as long as you want to, and for the physically fit to climb up the East Loop Trail at Mendenhall.

There is also a scenic ride to see Douglas Island, which is across a bridge from downtown Juneau.

As for renting cars, Rent A Wreck is an excellent company (say hello to the owner, Konnie) in Juneau. They will pick you up within walking distance of the cruise ship, take you to their facility near the airport. You return the car there and they will transport you back downtown.

There is an Avis off ice in Skagway, within walking of the ship's dock.

I would contact both as soon as you have an idea where you want to go and what you want to see.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

Thanks, I will keep it in mind.

Hello,

It is very easy to drive in Juneau, as there are very good roads in and about Juneau.

As for Skagway, you do not need a car to see Skagway as this is a small town that can easily be seen on foot.

If you do not have a back up driver, it is my view that you should not drive up into the Canadian Yukon. There is enough people to help you if you become incapacitated and the roads are excellent but still, you need to make it back to the ship in plenty of time in order to get gas, return the car and walk back to the ship before the ship sails. Without a back up driver you are taking a chance that for a first timer to Alaska may not be prudent.

Here is an idea for you....there are things to see and do in Skagway, and maybe some of the others in your group will allow you to take the train to Whitehorse (expensive) while they stay in Skagway and enjoy the day and the ship.

I stand by my original recommendation to rent a car in Skagway, as this is the best and least expensive way to enjoy this magnificent area. You should have, however, at least one- back up driver.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

What? We've rented a car in Skagway and drove the South Klondike hwy to Yukon. It's an easy drive. Just make sure you get back in time to catch the ship. You can book a car online with Avis. Keep in mind that they are not in operation until May 15. If your cruise is before then-then you're out of luck.

I'm sorry, but I would never visit Skagway and just walk around town. Sure there are things to see and do, but why miss out on the magnificent scenery by car or rail. You can do that and still see the sights in Skagway. If you do decide to get a car in Skagway this link will be helpful

http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/sklondike-photos1.html

When you arrive in Whittier you can have a pre-reserved van or bus take you to Anchorage. It's about 60 miles. You could also take the train.

As for whale watching; we did it in Juneau (booked through the cruise line). We saw tons of whales, bald eagles and sea lions. In fact, they will refund your money if you don't see whales.

What I really suggest is that you post this on the Alaska forum. You'll get lots of good advice and recommendations :)

What? We've rented a car in Skagway and drove the South Klondike hwy to Yukon. It's an easy drive. Just make sure you get back in time to catch the ship. You can book a car online with Avis. Keep in mind that they are not in operation until May 15. If your cruise is before then-then you're out of luck.

I'm sorry, but I would never visit Skagway and just walk around town. Sure there are things to see and do, but why miss out on the magnificent scenery by car or rail. You can do that and still see the sights in Skagway. If you do decide to get a car in Skagway this link will be helpful

http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/sklondike-photos1.html

When you arrive in Whittier you can have a pre-reserved van or bus take you to Anchorage. It's about 60 miles. You could also take the train.

As for whale watching; we did it in Juneau (booked through the cruise line). We saw tons of whales, bald eagles and sea lions. In fact, they will refund your money if you don't see whales.

What I really suggest is that you post this on the Alaska forum. You'll get lots of good advice and recommendations :)

Hello,

I have driven the Klondike Highway twice, with our most recent drive in August of 2007. It is an easy drive but that is not the issue. You should have a back up driver who can drive if you are in Whitehorse or Carcross or any other places along the way, and something happens that prevents you from driving. Please note that Blessed One is the ONLY driver.

I do not think it is wise to go up into the Canadian Yukon with only one driver and six others. I really would like Blessed One to take the drive as it is one of the most beautiful drives I have done. Maybe one of the others in her group can drive and could do so if needed to do so in an emergency. It is a very safe drive over an excellent highway.

Fred

Hello,

I have driven the Klondike Highway twice, with our most recent drive in August of 2007. It is an easy drive but that is not the issue. You should have a back up driver who can drive if you are in Whitehorse or Carcross or any other places along the way, and something happens that prevents you from driving. Please note that Blessed One is the ONLY driver.

I do not think it is wise to go up into the Canadian Yukon with only one driver and six others. I really would like Blessed One to take the drive as it is one of the most beautiful drives I have done. Maybe one of the others in her group can drive and could do so if needed to do so in an emergency. It is a very safe drive over an excellent highway.

Fred

I see what you're saying. I missed the part about the OP being the only driver. When we went, we all could drive. However, I can't possible imagine what could "happen" to the driver. The entire rounndtrip drive is less than a 140 miles. You know, I spent many years driving my young son all over the place-that with me being the only driver in the car. I just don't see the logic. The highway is pretty well traveled in case of 'emergency'.

I see what you're saying. I missed the part about the OP being the only driver. When we went, we all could drive. However, I can't possible imagine what could "happen" to the driver. The entire rounndtrip drive is less than a 140 miles. You know, I spent many years driving my young son all over the place-that with me being the only driver in the car. I just don't see the logic. The highway is pretty well traveled in case of 'emergency'.

Hello,

You have never lost or broken your glasses, become ill while on the road, suffered a fall and hurt yourself severely enough not to be able to drive, and so on. And yes it isn't very far but she has herself and six others to transport back to Skagway. Blessed One doesn't tell us their ages, but I suspect at least some are elderly. Further you cannot abandon a rental car, that is, just leave it out there.

You are also correct in that there will be persons who will stop and provide assistance, as this is a very important part of life in the far north. Your traveling all over as a parent with a child, is far different from this particular situation, and especially in Texas where being helpful is also a way of life.

Take care,

Fred

Hello,

You have never lost or broken your glasses, become ill while on the road, suffered a fall and hurt yourself severely enough not to be able to drive, and so on. And yes it isn't very far but she has herself and six others to transport back to Skagway. Blessed One doesn't tell us their ages, but I suspect at least some are elderly. Further you cannot abandon a rental car, that is, just leave it out there.

You are also correct in that there will be persons who will stop and provide assistance, as this is a very important part of life in the far north. Your traveling all over as a parent with a child, is far different from this particular situation, and especially in Texas where being helpful is also a way of life.

Take care,

Fred

No, those things haven't happened to me. Yet. I see your point though. If my glasses broke; I wouldn't be able to drive.

Lovesublime and Fred,

Thank you for all the tips on the road driving and your carings. I will take it in my consideration and perhaps I should only rent a van once in Juneau as I want to go to Mendenhall Glacier and cannot then take walk in Skagway.

blessed one,

If you're just wanting to go to Mendenhall Glacier; you don't have to rent a car (unless you just want to). At the dock area there are numerous different shuttle companies that do continuous loops to Mendenhall. I think it's about $6.00 roundtrip. You could inquire at the tourist kiosk when you disembark your ship. There are also shuttles to the Gold Creek salmon bake if you're interested in that.

I grew up in Alaska, and I think that taking a train from Whittier to Anchorage is a great idea! You will see so much more from the train tracks than you see on the road (Its VERY winding and makes me car sick). You'll be right near the ocean on the train, and you can sometimes (depending on the tide) see whales breaching in the inlet!

If you drive, there are rest stops along the way from Whittier to Anch, and you can climb the guard rail and go closer (down a rocky embankment) to the water. At some places, you can find fossils in the rocks, that can be pretty neat! Just use common sense, the ocean here doesn't get warm, and you'd rather not fall in!

If you're hungry, stop in Girdwood. Behind the gas station right off the highway, there is a little diner that has great food and good sized portions. The Ice Cream Shop 2 or 3 doors down is good as well!

Enjoy your cruise! Alaska is so beautiful - I'm a little sad that I spent my teen years sitting inside watching TV *smacks self on forehead* Silly, silly, me...

Archived