Sailing out of Los Angeles

emen822

I am looking at cruises for next Spring Break and was wondering how the waters are sailing out of LA. Obviously, this is subjective and could change at any moment but wanted to get a sense of how the seas are normally. I have never even been to California so I am hoping to go a few days before to be a tourist. :D TIA!

Usually you have to cross a current to leave the LA area. It's more pronounced if head to Hawaii (you'll often have one or two days of rough seas leaving or coming back). Usually for the Mexican Riviera cruises, you'll feel the rolling the last day or so of your cruise.

As for weather, you may have overcast skies and temps in the 60s until you get more south into Mexican waters. Often people with just Caribbean cruise experience are surprised about that. Also, it's not exactly beach weather until July or so (even though you can hit the beaches in Mexico during the winter, the water will be much cooler than off the east coast). In LA, you can even get lots of rain...but if the Santa Ana winds are blowing from the east, you may even get temperatures in the 80s during the winter.

Check out the various threads here on sights to see here. As you will find out, Los Angeles is spread out over many miles so you'll have to narrow down what areas you want to see.

Archived