Debit Cards

I was wondering do Taxis, Hotels and Business in Vancouver take debit cards. I have a debit card that has a Mastercard logo on it. It can also be used as a credit card. I thank anyone with their information on this.:confused: :) :) :) :)

If it can be used as a credit card can, then you are fine. Unless it requires a pin, whereupon I have no idea, since we don't have such cards in Canada.

The American Discover Card is probably the least useful card in Canada since it's not offered to Canadians at all and only large businesses carry it for American tourists.

Our debit card system in Canada is called Interac They are associated with NYCE. At ATMs both Cirrus and Plus are available.

From my understanding, taking it as a credit card I don't see a problem. If it's as a debit card, it's just hard to tell because we don't have that in Canada. Canadian law is very different than US law when it comes to banking. For example, in Canada it is illegal for same bank to offer both MasterCard and Visa because of anti-trust. We usually separate our credit cards from our debit cards. We don't have debit card with MasterCard or Visa logos that I know of.

No to use of dual/ credit card. You can use your debit or credit card separately just about anywhere with the exception of many taxis which still deal with cash only and sadly Tim Horton's!:confused: Unlike the US you don't have to show your ID with each credit card purchase.

American Express cards are widely accepted, but not as widely as MC and Visa.

As for Tim's, not only do they accept MC, but they have easypay... I know, I use easypay.

Canadian law on credit cards are very odd in the regards to credit cards, debit cards and entertainment cards. American Express cards are not allowed to take cash advances at an ATM in Canada, but American Express credit cards are.

Most banks issue separate credit cards and debit cards in Canada. You can, for security sake, ask a bank to encode your debit account on your credit card if they are from the same bank, but you have to ask for it. Often the banks in Canada have entirely separate divisions for their credit card divisions aren't allowed to trade information with the bank because of Canadian privacy laws.

I realize that these rules and divisions are different from the United States. But in Canada we have had national banks for a long time and they are very large and powerful. We therefore have much stricter anti-trust laws and privacy laws to prevent the banks from using their access to bank information as an advantage in the credit card business. (Not to mention that we have even stricter ownership laws on banks in Canada, no one entity can own more than 10% of any bank in Canada.)

From all my research, the only way that you will be able to use a straight debit to pay for something in Canada is if your bank is associated with NYCE. NYCE has an agreement with Interac which is our national payment system (which is owned cooperatively by all the banks and the subject of it's own anti-trust lawsuit.) You must therefore either use the MC or Visa as a credit card if it is not part of NYCE. Just make sure that you tell the cashier to process as Interac if your bank does handle NYCE. Otherwise tell them to process the transaction as a credit card transaction.

I hope this helps. I tried not to be too technical, while still answering all possible questions.

I think I may have answered my own question..what a great little idea for us Timmies!

Quickpay Tim Card

The ultimate in convenience has arrived at Tim Hortons: the reloadable Quickpay Tim Card.

Accepted both in-store and at the drive thru at participating Tim Hortons stores, the Quickpay Tim Card is easy to use and will ensure that you're never searching for spare change when you're making your purchase.

Load it in-store or online and you're ready to go. You can even have your Quickpay Tim Card automatically reload from your credit card when it reaches a certain balance. By registering your Quickpay Tim Card, you'll protect the balance on your card from loss or theft.

Make the change from change!

Learn more about the Quickpay Tim Card.

Sorry, my apologies....

I meant MasterCard PayPass. You just wave your card and you are done, no signature needed.

Tim's does offer it's own QuickPay card, but that's just a Tim's only preloaded card.

PayPass, the quickest way to Roll Up the Rim to Win... (Sorry, that's a Canadian thing)

Archived