Western Caribbean Questions

vfb2girls

We are sailing on the Legend this November and I have a few questions. At the different ports are we required to carry our passports? Can we just get by with carrying our sign and sail card and our driver's licenses? We really do not want to have to cart our passports around due to the fear of losing them. Also for the excursions we are taking they are independent and the final payment is in either cash or travelers checks. What is the preferred method for paying for excursions? Is there a big hassle with cashing travelers checks? Sorry if these questions sound stupid but we have never traveled to this part of the world before so we are pretty clueless. Our daughter is getting married in 2009 and her and her soon to be husband want to do this same itinerary so I guess my husband and myself are the "guinea pigs", since we are doing this cruise in November. Thanks for any advice.

The easiest way to use traveler's cheques is to cash them at the purser's desk on board. Carnival provides this service free of charge. While some vendors may take TC's some may charge a fee or give some change in local currency, others may be no hassle at all but why be surprised?

You are not required to carry your passport while ashore, heck you aren't required to have a passport on most cruises, but if you miss the ship you will wish you had brought it with you. You are required to carry your S&S card and a government issued photo ID like a driver's license (or a passport) so the choice is up to you.

You can get by without your passports, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's a stress for me to carry them with me for fear of losing them, but I just keep them in a safe place. We take independent tours, and if something happens, the ship will leave, and you will be stuck. without a passport, good luck to you. At the very least, make a color copy of the passports and bring those with you. I've always taken quite a bit of cash with me and used cash to pay for the excursions. Have a great trip!! :D

keep in mind that some places that we used our credit cards at port required our drivers license or passport number to prove authorization of use.

Plus, what happens if you can't make it to the ship? Now you are in a foreign country with NO ID!! We took our passports. We got some of those travel pouches from wal mart and everything we needed fit in there handily.

Thanks for the great advice, we will carry our passports with us then. And the suggestion of cashing our TC at the pursers desk was really helpful. I had no idea that they provide that type of service. So on the excursions that are water based, snorkeling and just laying around the beach what do most of you do with your passports and money? Since we will be on the beach and there probably isn't any lockers around do you feel safe leaving your stuff on the beach or in your beach chairs and not worry about it getting stollen? My biggest fear is that someone will steal our passports. Thanks once again for all the helpful advice.

I bought a waterproof case online a few years ago that I wear around my neck or waist when I am in the water. It holds our passports, cash, and a CC. I tried several "water-safes" that leaked before I found it. It was a liitle pricey, but it is truly waterproof and I have used it for years.

Do you remember who you ordered it from? I have seen the water proof cases mentioned from Walmart but I am not sure just how well they would stand up. If you could remember I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Do you remember who you ordered it from? I have seen the water proof cases mentioned from Walmart but I am not sure just how well they would stand up. If you could remember I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

http://www.thewaterproofstore.com/softcases.html

Try this site. It gives you a big choice on different sizes.

Just a different point of view... Carrying your passport into ports of call is an iffy propostion... There's a heck of black market for American passports.

Personally, Sail and Sign card and driver's license is what I carry. Some folks carry a copy of their passport but I don't believe it's necessary. Should you be so unfortunate to get left behind confirmation of your citizenship is easy enough to accomplish by a call to the ship and your ID...

Archived