Beach Day in Progreso?

Kris7562

I'm sailing on the Carnival Fantasy in late April and will be stopping in Progreso. I've heard that this is not one of the "nicer" ports, but I also understand it's Mexico, and not a 4 star resort we are stopping at. Any ideas for places to go? We were thinking just a beach day, but weren't sure of the area, and if we should book one of the beach break excursions or just get a taxi and go. We're 2 single girls in our mid(or maybe late, but i'd rather not go there!)- twenties and we're pretty easy to please. A few drinks, some sun, and maybe a massage, and we're happy!

Any input would be appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm sailing on the Carnival Fantasy in late April and will be stopping in Progreso. I've heard that this is not one of the "nicer" ports, but I also understand it's Mexico, and not a 4 star resort we are stopping at. Any ideas for places to go? We were thinking just a beach day, but weren't sure of the area, and if we should book one of the beach break excursions or just get a taxi and go. We're 2 single girls in our mid(or maybe late, but i'd rather not go there!)- twenties and we're pretty easy to please. A few drinks, some sun, and maybe a massage, and we're happy!

Any input would be appreciated!

If you want close to a 4 star resort, try Reef Yucatan Resort. NICE! You can book in town. It ran $30 or $35 when we were there and included an open bar, huge, gorgeous pool, nice beach and side trips to Xcambo Ruins and a flamingo sanctuary.

You can just walk to the beach - it's a short, nice walk and you will find CHEAP massages and drinks waiting for you. If you walk down a bit from Corona Beach and sit across from the restaurants facing the beach, you can order foor/drink from the restaurants from right on the beach. Just be prepared to pay for use of the table/chairs or lounge chairs - usually $5 per person. We got lucky and paid only $5 for all 4 of us to sit at a table and chairs - we didn't stay too long - we had 6 beers/diet cokes, and the total for everything was $11. Cheapest day in port ever, lol.

Archived