Alaska in May on the Westerdam questions

dvrdude

DW and I are seriously contemplating a May 7 day on the Westerdam. We've sailed HAL several times previously and LOVE it although we've never been on the Westerdam. A few questions for experienced Alaska cruisers.

1) How does the Westerdam compare with the Zaandam or the Noordam?

2) What kind of duds should one pack for Alaska in May?

3) Any advice on must do shore excursions would be greatly appreciated. Scheduled stops are Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan, and Victoria Canada.

4) In general what are your impressions of an Alaska cruise? We've only ever been to the Carib.

I'm sure I'll think of 100 more questions, but it's a start. Thanks in advance for your help :)

We'll be doing our fourth (on Volendam) Alaska cruise in May, and our fifth (on Zaandam) in June. We do like it there! ;)

You'll find the Westerdam to be very similar to the Noordam - they're sister ships. You'll also find the passengers to be somewhat different on an Alaska cruise - even less of a "party, party" atmosphere (if you can imagine such a thing) than on a HAL Caribbean cruise.

May weather can be all over the map - warm days and cold nights, rain (or even snow if you go up a few hundred feet) - "layering" is the mantra you'll hear from everyone.

Shore excursions, well, what do you like to do? But also read the Alaska forum over on the CC Ports of Calls board for even more opinions.

What's it like in Alaska? We've seen whales, porpoises, eagles, hawks, flying fish, bears - and that's all without getting off the ship!

Highlights of our first three cruises to the land of "Northern Exposure" are here, here and here (scroll to the bottom and work up on this one...).

Pricing is excellent on the 5/7 cruise. If you want it, book it now as it is apt to sell out fast.

Your first night is apt to be a bit choppy so if anyonein your party is prone to motion sickness, take precautions.

Generally speaking, it's about 10 degrees cooler in Alaska than in Seattle/Victoria, 50's during the day and 30's in the evening. Having said this, it was in the high 60's when we were last in Alaska, in May. Expect rain and be thrilled if you do not have it.

As Dave said, it's all about water-proofing and layering. Dave also has some of the best pictures of Alaska posted on this board.

Early May cruises are a good buy because the weather is unpredictable and colder than later in the summer. So clothing wise think "layers" with the outermost one being waterproof because you are very apt to get rain on some of the shore excursions. I do not believe the ship itself makes much difference - it is the HAL experience that counts.

You will have many less children on board than later in the season when schools are not in session.

And since you have been only on Caribbean cruises, expect a whole new experience. Alaska is all about magnificent scenery, wildlife, small coastal cities like Ketchikan. There are some great shore excursions available to glaciers and whale watching. :)

As Dave said, it's all about water-proofing and layering. Dave also has some of the best pictures of Alaska posted on this board.

Thanks, but credit where it's due - I only carry the camera bag, drive the car, scout for opportunities, etc. It's Makrewser who does all the photography! ;)

I booked the 5/11 Westerdam. I'm so fired up and looking forward to a different experience than the Carib. for a change. I know the HAL expperience will be great and I'm hoping to run into some familliar faces in the crew. Thanks again!

I booked the 5/11 Westerdam. I'm so fired up and looking forward to a different experience than the Carib. for a change. I know the HAL expperience will be great and I'm hoping to run into some familliar faces in the crew. Thanks again!

Come on over and join the Roll Call. We'd love to get to know you.

B

Hey Dvrdude

Don't know if I am familiar crew but I will be the nurse on board the Westerdam in May and hope to see you there! You can get a sense of who I am from previous posts to this board. Just look up NurseGeorge.

Thanks, but credit where it's due - I only carry the camera bag, drive the car, scout for opportunities, etc. It's Makrewser who does all the photography! ;)

Every week brings a new revelation. Last week we learned you would be seriously pleased to see the dress code abandoned. And now we hear about Mak's eagle eye and steady hand. Regardless, they have always been someof my favorite pix of Alaska. I am on pins and needles, needles and pins, for next week's installment.;)

Every week brings a new revelation. Last week we learned you would be seriously pleased to see the dress code abandoned.

NO! Not abandoned (visions of muscle shirts and short-shorts at dinner), just changed to smart/business/country club casual for all nights... :rolleyes:

My wife, myself and another couple sailed aboard the Westerdam to Alaska from Seattle the first cruise of May 2006. We had a wonderful time but it was cold and wet. We had some rain and we had some snow. You will certainly need to dress in layers. The scenery will be unforgetable.

Bill

Nursegeorge, So glad to hear you are going to be on the Westerdam. I will be on the 5-18-08 cruise. I really enjoyed your blog. I am a nurse also and would love to retire from the hospital and cruise as a nurse. Unfortunately, I don't think there is much need for a OB nurse on board!. I am traveling with my 83yo mom so I am glad to know you are there if we need you. Will come by and say hi. Janis

Layer, layer, layer. As someone said, be prepared for cold & rain, and be delighted with nice weather.

We're on the Ryndam on May 7 to Alaska; I'm bringing a hooded jacket with a zip-in/zip-out fleece lining and some Hot Shots (hand warmers) just in case. Mitts, too, and I expect I'll be wearing a base layer out on deck. If I don't need all the "warm & dry" clothing, at least I'll have it. Made the mistake once of not having warm-enough clothing. Won't do that again :)

Alaska is WONDERFUL -- the scenery, the pace, and the cruise.

Archived