Houston/Galveston area Golden Corral and Ryans

shadowtiger

Hi, Can anyone tell me if Ryan's or Golden Corral is still in Houston. We love these restaurants but they are not in our area. :( We look for them whenever we travel south. I know it may seem crazy to go so far and eat at a buffet but their steaks are so tender and we love soup and salad. Yeah, we're from New England and have some of the best steak restaurants around but I just love the food, price and selection at these restaurants. And, I don't have to settle, I can try a few slices of dessert and more than one vegetable, a couple of french fries, some mashed or baked, whatever, it is always fun. OK so we will be in the "cattle line" next day on the ship but I couldn't be so close to one of these restaurants and not stop in. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
If you are driving between Houston to Galveston there is a Golden Corral on I-45 just before the Beltway 8/Sam Houston Tollway exit and a Ryans on Bay Area Boulevard about three blocks east of I-45. Enjoy!

Yes, this restaurant is on the way from the airport (either one) and Galveston. I feel I have to warn you though. We last ate there maybe 10 years ago and it was good. Decided to try it again last year and boy have things changed! I won't go into too much detail, but trust me-you will not enjoy it. As soon as walked into the place our gut instinct was to turn around and walk out. We didn't but should have. It was a very unsavory dining experience :eek: I can't comment on the Galveston location as I've never been there.

If you are driving between Houston to Galveston there is a Golden Corral on I-45 just before the Beltway 8/Sam Houston Tollway exit and a Ryans on Bay Area Boulevard about three blocks east of I-45. Enjoy!

The Ryans on Bay Area Blvd. closed recently. Someone gave me a coupon they got online and I found it closed when I went to use it!

Yes, this restaurant is on the way from the airport (either one) and Galveston. I feel I have to warn you though. We last ate there maybe 10 years ago and it was good. Decided to try it again last year and boy have things changed! I won't go into too much detail, but trust me-you will not enjoy it. As soon as walked into the place our gut instinct was to turn around and walk out. We didn't but should have. It was a very unsavory dining experience :eek: I can't comment on the Galveston location as I've never been there.

Hi, the quote you are referring to mentioned

"Golden Corral on I-45 just before the Beltway 8/Sam Houston Tollway exit and a Ryans on Bay Area Boulevard"

Which one are you referring to where you had the bad experience? Maybe we will try the other. :D Or were you referring to both? Too bad either way as we have always found both restaurants food above average, salads fresh and soups thick just how we like them. Country Buffet bought out Golden Coral about a year ago, might have something to do with the food quality not being up there if you are referring to Golden Coral. We have Country Buffet/Home Town Buffets up here in Mass and they are just OK. Great for the grandkids.

The Ryans on Bay Area Blvd. closed recently. Someone gave me a coupon they got online and I found it closed when I went to use it!

Sorry for the bad info. I didn't realize they had closed. Seems strange as there always seemed to be cars in their parking lot when we went by.

Hi, the quote you are referring to mentioned

"Golden Corral on I-45 just before the Beltway 8/Sam Houston Tollway exit and a Ryans on Bay Area Boulevard"

Which one are you referring to where you had the bad experience? Maybe we will try the other. :D Or were you referring to both? Too bad either way as we have always found both restaurants food above average, salads fresh and soups thick just how we like them. Country Buffet bought out Golden Coral about a year ago, might have something to do with the food quality not being up there if you are referring to Golden Coral. We have Country Buffet/Home Town Buffets up here in Mass and they are just OK. Great for the grandkids.

I'm referring to the Golden Corral on I-45 just before the beltway. I've never been to the Ryan's on Bay Area and I didn't know they had closed. Okay, I'll try to clarify without inciting a riot. The food really is okay. It's the clientele. I'll leave it at that. You will not want to eat there if you could see what activities that take place in the food buffet areas. To top it, the floor was filthy and covered with food. It looked as though the carpet had not been cleaned in years. I actually couldn't believe how much food was scattered over the WHOLE floor. Never again.

I'm referring to the Golden Corral on I-45 just before the beltway. I've never been to the Ryan's on Bay Area and I didn't know they had closed. Okay, I'll try to clarify without inciting a riot. The food really is okay. It's the clientele. I'll leave it at that. You will not want to eat there if you could see what activities that take place in the food buffet areas. To top it, the floor was filthy and covered with food. It looked as though the carpet had not been cleaned in years. I actually couldn't believe how much food was scattered over the WHOLE floor. Never again.

thanks, lovesublime, you saved us what could have been a bad experience. As I said they have been bought out by a lower class restaurant chain and maybe that is why. We'll try Ryan's and if they are as good as ever we'll be happy. Might just wait till we get settled into the hotel in Galveston and try something new. It's just one meal, and the beginning of many on the ship so what harm can there be to trying something new. Although trying a new restaurant is something I almost never do unless highly recommended. And I understand what you mean about it not being the food. If the restaurant itself isn't up to par who can eat even the finest food. Thanks again, Jean

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, Can anyone tell me if Ryan's or Golden Corral is still in Houston. We love these restaurants but they are not in our area. :( We look for them whenever we travel south. I know it may seem crazy to go so far and eat at a buffet but their steaks are so tender and we love soup and salad. Yeah, we're from New England and have some of the best steak restaurants around but I just love the food, price and selection at these restaurants. And, I don't have to settle, I can try a few slices of dessert and more than one vegetable, a couple of french fries, some mashed or baked, whatever, it is always fun. OK so we will be in the "cattle line" next day on the ship but I couldn't be so close to one of these restaurants and not stop in. Thanks.

Never seen a Rayans, but GC in this area has too many hogs for me to try.

S. Texas (next to the border). I've been to GC in other cities in Texas wher I would return, Though. :rolleyes:

thanks, lovesublime, you saved us what could have been a bad experience. As I said they have been bought out by a lower class restaurant chain and maybe that is why. We'll try Ryan's and if they are as good as ever we'll be happy. Might just wait till we get settled into the hotel in Galveston and try something new. It's just one meal, and the beginning of many on the ship so what harm can there be to trying something new. Although trying a new restaurant is something I almost never do unless highly recommended. And I understand what you mean about it not being the food. If the restaurant itself isn't up to par who can eat even the finest food. Thanks again, Jean

Trying new places and different foods is an adventure! The least expensive one I have ever had! At one time I had eaten at EVERY resturant in the nearest Mexican town (a little over 5 miles from home).

One had inherited the menu and had worked under the original chef, formerly at a fine hotel in NYC, and one recommended by my secretary (Green card Mexican). None were bad, I prefered the Euro cuisine, tho.

The WORST meal I ever had was in 1958 in S. France at a hotel. 4 of us were traveling, and when the one assigned to pay the bill left, he saw a grocery store and guessed (correctly) we were there buying something to eat! :rolleyes:

Trying new places and different foods is an adventure! The least expensive one I have ever had! At one time I had eaten at EVERY resturant in the nearest Mexican town (a little over 5 miles from home).

One had inherited the menu and had worked under the original chef, formerly at a fine hotel in NYC, and one recommended by my secretary (Green card Mexican). None were bad, I prefered the Euro cuisine, tho.

The WORST meal I ever had was in 1958 in S. France at a hotel. 4 of us were traveling, and when the one assigned to pay the bill left, he saw a grocery store and guessed (correctly) we were there buying something to eat! :rolleyes:

Funny story but still not convinced to try something new. I'm soooo picky. No onions in any of my food unless it's raw on a salad or "skinny" fried onion rings. No meat unless it 90% lean. No "spicey" spices. Only a few vegetables will I eat. Favorites are pasta plain tomato sauce, no herbs, and fish. GC works for me soup, salad, pasta and a rare steak or some fish, always perfectly done. Hope to be sitting in one of these places in 2 weeks. :)

Archived