Within walking distance of the port?

littleone9699

St. Martin will be our 3rd stop of our trip, and my DH isn't a big fan of lying at the beach (and we'll have already visited 2 at this point :) ). Is there anything withing walking distance we can do with our two DS, 12 & 9? Maybe just some shopping and/or signtseeing? Or even a short cab ride? Just looking for ideas that don't include the beach. Thanks!!!

littleone9699: there are shops right where the ships dock. You can take catch the water taxi here & it will take you over to Phillipsburg or you can walk into town. It took us about 10 or 15 minutes to walk back to the ship. If you want a good tour guide contact Joyce Prince-she will pick you up at the dock & take you on a tour of the island-both sides. She is very good. You can check out peoples opinions of her on this board. Hope this will help.

Hi...would you happen to know if there are sidewalks from the ship into town? I am traveling with my mom, who uses a scooter, so I'm thinking the water taxi is out of the question....

jane

Yes, there are paved sidewalks all the way into town, and yes, the water taxi is probably out of the question,

th_DSCN3241.jpg

(click)

as it has steep steps down into the boat.

The Front Street shopping area is fairly accessible for scooters,

th_DSCN3426.jpg

but do not expect to be able to 'scoot' into many of the shops, themselves.

Bars and restaurants, especially along the Boardwalk, should be readily accessible.

th_DSCF0109.jpg

gary

St. Martin will be our 3rd stop of our trip, and my DH isn't a big fan of lying at the beach (and we'll have already visited 2 at this point :) ). Is there anything withing walking distance we can do with our two DS, 12 & 9? Maybe just some shopping and/or signtseeing? Or even a short cab ride? Just looking for ideas that don't include the beach. Thanks!!!

There is plenty of shopping, and I consider it the best in the Caribbean, along Front Street, downtown Philipsburg.

Are they too young to know about Star Wars and Yoda?

The Yoda Guy is on St. Maarten and gets some great reviews. He's a short walk from the ship (as is most shopping in Philipsburg).

There is also the St. Maarten Museum, for history buffs. I can't find a decent website for them right now, but you have the time to do some research.

If you're willing to venture out and about just a bit, then there is the St. Maarten Park (Zoo). Right now it appears that the site is down because they haven't paid their web hosting bills, but check back later.

Even further afield is the Butterfly Farm, over on the French side.

gary

gary: thanks so much for the info (and the pics) I've read lots of your posts on this board and followed the links to your pictures...they're awesome! You're a great source of information! Much appreciated...

jane

Archived