Pre or Post Cruise Tour of Rome?

Hello:

I am currently in the planning/booking stages of a 20 day mediterranean cruise in Early to mid September 2009.

I am planning on the Holland america Lines Noordam.

I am planning on spending the day around or on the ship when we visit the port for a single day.

I am also considering a 4 day tour of Rome that is provided by the curise line.

My question to everyone, would you do the tour before or after the cruise?

Even if I do it after the cruise, I plan on flying in on the day before and spending the night in Rome prior to the cruise departing.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

I would choose to do it before the cruise as we are usually 'toured out' by the end of the cruise, and I would want to be able to give Rome my full energy and attention. However, one advantage to doing it afterwards is that temps may be slightly cooler and the crowds just a bit thinner than in early Sept.

I would also choose to do it before. My enthusiasm level is just higher. When it's time to pack up the cabin the last night of the cruise, in my mind, the vacation is over. We've done both before and after visits, and I always enjoy the pre-cruise stay much more. That said, you'll have to contend with jetlag with a pre-cruise visit, but again, for us the enthusiasm kicks in - we're really in Rome! - and we somehos get through it.;)

Whatever you choose, enjoy your time in Rome and your cruise!

In July we had a day pre cruise and 3 days post cruise.

My recommendation after that would be three months pre and post cruise as Rome is such a lovely city. We normally stay in places on our holidays where we can self cater and we could not do that this time but my fond wish is to return to Rome and next time I will be looking for somewhere to stay where we can shop for some of our meals during our stay. Also continue to try different ristorrantes also.

Other thought is to hire a scooter for a few days but maybe that is a bit to ambitious.

David

If possible, YoPhilly's suggestion is a good one. Before the cruise, jet-lag aside, gives luggage a chance to catch up with you. An extra night or 2 can be used to do some relaxed shopping, revisit something and allows extra time so you won't have to worry about catching a flight right after disimbarking.

However, if that's not possible, I imagine before the cruise would be better. Rome is still crowded all through Sept.

I would recommend you do the tour before your cruise. Rome has much to offer and after a 20 day cruise, I know I would want to head home. There is a lot of history and beauty to absorb in Rome. You will probably be more "fresh" before hand.

We always travel in the day before our European trips. Feel more refreshed and rested. Less worry for airline delays/problems. When we arrive we never take a nap. Throws our whole sleep thing off. But that's just us.

Whatever you decide, enjoy Rome! Take time to have a gelato and watch the world go by!

Chesie

Archived