how much time for snorkeling?

Lowbrow

Debating between just giong to a beach ourselves or doing a tour like sunny or godfrey which does shopping, sightseeing, then beach. The one thing I definitely want to do in st. thomas is snorkel. This is the only port we are planning on snorkeling at. Is the 2 hours they allow at the beach enough time to rent equipment, figure out what the heck I'm doing (first-time snorkeler), and snorkel? I don't want to be rushed. But on the other hand it might be nice to take in some sights in addition to hitting the beach. Please help!!:D

I dont know when you're leaving but, you may want to consider buying your own snorkel gear. It doesnt cost very much and the mask and snorkel pack pretty easily. AND you know its clean because its yours. Plus its nice to have gear that fits you comfortably and you know if it leaks. I bought my mask and snorkel (U.S. Divers) on a certain online auction site for 17$ new. Then before I left I paracticed a few times in a swimming pool to get the feel of it. Then, it wasnt total panic when I finally got to jump in off of the sailboat we chartered...but it was still a little nervewracking. You know, first time and all.

The second time I went to St. Thomas, took a cab to Coral World in the morning, checked it out for awhile, then went snorkeling at the beach at Coral World. Had chair rentals, lockers, lockerrooms/bathrooms (kinda nasty) and a place to buy dog biscuits to feed the fish. It was a blast.:)

Good luck! And if you're in a decent spot your first time, you'll be amazed.

Archived