RCCL - hopefully better than Carnival?

wcdive

Hubby and I did our first cruise as a 7 nighter on the Carnival Valor (their largest ship) last August. There were quite a few things that we did not like very much, and we're hoping that RCCL is different, so I'd appreciate any answers you guys can give me - I'm trying to convince DH to give cruising another try with RCCL.

For one, (probably my biggest issue) I thought there would be a large selection of good food at almost any time. The choices for breakfast were the buffet or the dining room, and then at lunch time there was a grill with burgers and such, a pizza place, a fish-n-chips, an asian place, and the buffet. The food was mediocre at best and the buffet did not have much of a selection (and I am not very picky), and after 5pm the only thing that was left open was the buffet, the dining room, or the pizza, and the buffet was over around 8:30. Plus, the seating anywhere other than the dining room was not very nice, and crowded, we usually had to sit outside near the pool to eat.

Also, the only thing that I was really interested in doing on the pool deck (since the ONLY pool was about the size of my interior stateroom - not kidding, we thought it was the kiddie pool at first) was the slide, and it closed at 4pm! So, you got back on board after your shore excursions, or try to wait until it's not crazy crowded and no slide. Bummer. Does everything on RCCL's ships stay open late? (rock climbing, ice skating rink, etc.)

I'm trying to get a better picture of what RCCL will be like, so any info to help me decide would be much appreciated!!!

Both cruise lines are mass market lines. Both cater to many first time cruisers and families. You won't find any cruise line that is going to offer "a large selection of good food" all times of the day and night unless you move up the cruise chain to a much higher priced line and then I doubt that you will find this either. To me the food on both lines is mass produced banquet style food made to serve thousands of passengers in a very quick time. Just what I expect to find. I will say that I just returned home from Holland America and a ship that only holds 2000 guests. The food was better than that of RCI or Carnival but not enough to make me run back to them. Again, mass produced food but with a slightly higher quaility

With that said, I do find RCI to be much better for me overall than the product that Carnival puts out. I find the service to be much better and the crew much more friendly. The crew on Carnival does in my opinion just what they have to do to get by and nothing more. Cleaner and better maintained ships on RCI and an overall better past guest program. IMHO Carnival puts out a cheaper product and an example like listed in the link below are just adding to the cheapness of the product. There are different levels in the mass market arena and IMO RCI is a little more of a step up. Again my opinion and that is from a total of 26 cruises between the two lines.:)

Carnival adds on board advertising!!!!!!!!

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/artman2/publish/Out_of_Home_19/Your_client_on_the_deck_of_cruise_ships.asp

As I do not condone KY's bashing on Carnival (as you can see I am sailing on the Holiday) I have to admit the Bill's Dollar Store comment was by far the funniest thing I have read in years!:D I laughed until I cried, laughed some more till my stomach hurt, then had to move down the page so I did not see this comment anymore, and still could not stop.

Whew! Excuse me I have to go pee!:)

Lonnie

Really? Why was the Bill's Dollar store so funny? :confused: I don't think that it is nice to bring down his store by compairing it to Carnival! :D

I've only sailed Carnival and Princess (I'm on RCI Liberty for the first time this fall - yea!)

This is how I select a ship to sail on: first-what itinerary do I want to do? (usually I'll want to see as many new islands as I can); second-what is the newest ship on any line that runs that itinerary.

That's my main criteria in cruising. I figure a newer ship will have the best and most improved of all amenities on the selected line (maybe not true, but that's what I think). DH and I aren't exactly "gourmands" so I don't even consider the food in my selection process. Listen, you can't please everyone all the time. I'm not a fan of buffets at home - as they tend to be full of strange, old, tired food and I feel like I'm at a "feeding trough" at the farm. However, on the ship I don't mind them - it's only for a week (or so) - and I think that in that time span we can find something we like (room service, anyone?) or we will miraculously lose weight (can't hurt). I'd prefer to live on cookies!;)

No biggie. I think having your SO talk to an experienced cruiser (and perhaps have a list of questions/concerns prepared beforehand) will help. I liked Carnival - but hated the decor (it was on the Fantasy and I did NOT select the ship that time MIL did!). Loved Princess - beautiful, good food, but okay service. So, I guess my point is - you can't have perfection so why not sit back with a fruity umbrella drink and be glad you are not back home working!

(sorry so long winded)

Archived