The Little Things....to do?

Misha

Thanks to this board and all the suggestions and discussions, I have our "trip of a lifetime" pretty much planned. I am so excited about what we will be doing and seeing. We have lots of plans and I don't really want to plan any more. But now, I'm looking for the "little things." I've been fortunate enough to have done quite a bit of travelling, and the "little things" are my fondest memories. For example, I just love the Peter Pan stautue in Kensington Park and had the coolest lunch at a monastery where monks had their own brewery in Saltzburg. These weren't things that I had planned to do, but had heard about and we just happened to be in the area and had the time to see them. Does anyone have little "gems" they want to share? This could be anything, a special view, a neat little shop, something real Alaskan, less "touristy"..... I guess I've booked the "big things" and now I'm looking for a list of the "Little things." Thanks in advance....

In Ketchican, take the funicular up to Cape Fox Hotel. There are interesting displays in the lobby and some nice totem poles in the center of the driveway. Then walk down the Married Man's Walkway (wooden stairs and a path) to Creek Street. The views from the walkway are very nice of the harbor and ships.

While looking for internet cafes, I found some very nice fabric and gift shops on the second floor of buildings in Ketchican and Juneau. There is also a very nice shop just off the main street in Skagway. I also used the internet cafes.

In 2007, it was $6.OO for an hour -- and the card could be used in all three ports.

If the skies are clear, there are beautiful views and some walking trails at the top of Mt. Roberts. The tram starts near the cruise ship docks.

Don't forget the National Park Center in Skagway. Displays, films and tickets to ranger led walks. In Skagway, we also walked to the "Days of '98" theatre and purchased tickets for the performance. Less expensive than an excursion off the ship.

Enjoy the ravens that land on the ship railings and decks as you get near the ports.

Stand on the deck and enjoy the fog as it swirls (if you have a chance) :)

One of my best memories is grabbing a plate of sushi and enjoying the sun on the top deck as my best friend & I cruised Glacier Bay.... early July and it was sunny & warm. My friend STILL talks about it :)

Hi, Carol,

While looking for internet cafes, I found some very nice fabric and gift shops on the second floor of buildings in Ketchican and Juneau. There is also a very nice shop just off the main street in Skagway. I also used the internet cafes.

In 2007, it was $6.OO for an hour -- and the card could be used in all three ports.

My DH and I are going to be in Alaska in May and I'm always looking for internet cafes. In which port did you purchase your card? And what was the name and location of the building/business where you purchased it?

Thanks in advance for the help!

JanSun

Hi, Carol,

My DH and I are going to be in Alaska in May and I'm always looking for internet cafes. In which port did you purchase your card? And what was the name and location of the building/business where you purchased it?

Thanks in advance for the help!

JanSun

What's the name of the internet cafe? It will come in handy for my next trip. thanks

But now, I'm looking for the "little things." I've been fortunate enough to have done quite a bit of travelling, and the "little things" are my fondest memories. For example, I just love the Peter Pan stautue in Kensington Park and had the coolest lunch at a monastery where monks had their own brewery in Saltzburg. These weren't things that I had planned to do, but had heard about and we just happened to be in the area and had the time to see them. Does anyone have little "gems" they want to share? This could be anything, a special view, a neat little shop, something real Alaskan, less "touristy"..... I guess I've booked the "big things" and now I'm looking for a list of the "Little things." Thanks in advance....

My fondest travel memories are often the serendipitous as well.

Let me think....here in Juneau:

1) The Patsy Ann statue on the dock. The docks can be crazy, tons of tourists staggering around in a rush, and the statue of the faithful dog is a quiet moment. On the north end of the dock.

2) On the south end, sort of built down into the earth by Taku Smokeries and The Twisted Fish, is the Fishermen's Memorial. I like to take a few moments and read the names in honor of those who've died for our food.

3) Climb. Cut up off of South Franklin by climbing one of the stairwells, high above the crowds. You're half way as high as Mt. Roberts Tram for free. Great photo ops. I also love the Chicken Ridge park with its nun metal sculpture remembering when St. Anne's ran a school and hospital. There's all sorts of little things like that, including several cedar log carvings on display in the neighborhood.

4) Look for pictures. Photography had come into common use when the gold miners came to Juneau, and there's a huge photographic record of those years. They're on the walls of the Capitol building, inside the building with Heritage Coffee, the State Office Building and Sealaska building, all around town.

5) Get a ice cream cone and watch the seaplanes load and unload by The Wharf building. Just staring down off the docks anywhere in Alaska can mean discoveries. I've seen huge salmon swimming right there, seals, and jellyfish.

Yes, yes do climb up above the towns on the walking trails. I've had great fun doing that.

Take the time to talk to a real Alaskan! Especially the old folks who have stories to tell. Give them a chance to talk. You will be rewarded!

Archived