Quality of food on Gem

CANBRFAN

Just booked the Gem for 2009 and have been reading a lot of great things about it. This will be our first freestyle cruise and we are really looking forward to it. Can anyone tell me what the quality of food is like in the main dining rooms and at the food stations?. My husband seems to think that since there are so many restaurants that you have to pay for on this ship, then the food must be sub standard in the places that don't require an additional charge. Would you be served the same quality of food that Carnival or RCCL serves in their dining room? Thanks!

From what I've read, it is very subjective. A majority of the entrees that have been served on our various cruises have been things we would not normally eat (on a regular basis), so they're fine. (For instance, I don't make anything with lamb or veal, which my husband loves, so he's happy when given those as a choice at dinner.)

Perhaps a person who is used to fine gourmet restaurants might disagree.

Hard to answer your question today. Check back in a couple of months since NCL is rolling out all new main dining menus, adding a second lobster night, and increasing the spend on food by 20%, all part of the upgrades in Freestyle 2.0.

That said I have been on the Gem for 20 days and found the main dining room food about the same quality as Carnival or RCCL before the pending upgrades. No question the new investors (Apollo - who own Regent and Oceania) are trying to move NCL upmarket. I expect over time a much higher quality product and prices to match Hang on to that booking over time it will look like a real bargain.

Just booked the Gem for 2009 and have been reading a lot of great things about it. This will be our first freestyle cruise and we are really looking forward to it. Can anyone tell me what the quality of food is like in the main dining rooms and at the food stations?. My husband seems to think that since there are so many restaurants that you have to pay for on this ship, then the food must be sub standard in the places that don't require an additional charge. Would you be served the same quality of food that Carnival or RCCL serves in their dining room? Thanks!

I will admit that I am a foodie. I love food and am quite critical of it. I also like a wide variety of food, especially various ethnic foods. So, with that said... we ate at both of the main diningrooms, the buffet, and several of the specialty restaruants.

My meals in the main dining rooms (and those of my travelling companions) were delicious, plentiful and well served. The range of food was quite wide, and afforded the opportunity to try new things (but with old favourites available too).

The garden Cafe also offered good food and a wide range of food. I had one meal there for supper - Alu gobi and Beef khorma. I was surprised by the high standard. Breakfast was hot and delicious. Eggs Benedict was lovely.

The food and service in the specialty restaurants was excellent. It cost more, but not a lot more... and was worth every penny.

If you do not want to spend more - you do not have to and you will still have a wide variety of very enjoyable food.

Archived