The Price of Fedex

Morning everyone -

I just walked over to fedex with intentions of shipping my sand ceremony vases, my cake cutter and server and my cake topper to Aruba. However, OMG it cost almost $300 to ship one way. Which would mean it would cost almost $600 in total :eek:

Has anyone packed these types of items in their suitcases before? GRRR. I am already carrying on my toasting glasses as well as my dress. The airlines is not going to be pleased with me.

Let me know.

Thanks,

Colleen

You may want to check with the airlines if you are going to be carrying additional luggage and/or overweight luggage.

You don't want to get to the airport and find out that it's just as costly to fly with it. Or, worse yet, that you have too many pieces of luggage or luggage that is so heavy that the airline won't take it.

Charlie

Just pack them well and travel with them! It certainly is going to cost you less to check an extra piece of luggage each way rather than to ship the items.

Any chance you could rent these items from your coordinator?

It isn't that heavy. Under 10lbs. The fedex guy said to ship an envelope to Aruba is $50.

I think I am just going to pack them in the luggage. Interestingly enough I checked online to see what the baggage limits are and on May 5th. you can only bring ONE piece of luggage. The second one they will charge you $25 for! These airlines are really going nuts.

Unfortunately, what I am bringing is not rentable...the vases for the sand ceremony, my cake cutter (which is, but this was a gift from my godmother) and the engraved cake topper.

I think I will roll the dice at the airport...

It isn't that heavy. Under 10lbs. The fedex guy said to ship an envelope to Aruba is $50.

I think I am just going to pack them in the luggage. Interestingly enough I checked online to see what the baggage limits are and on May 5th. you can only bring ONE piece of luggage. The second one they will charge you $25 for! These airlines are really going nuts.

Unfortunately, what I am bringing is not rentable...the vases for the sand ceremony, my cake cutter (which is, but this was a gift from my godmother) and the engraved cake topper.

Use bubble wrap and pack them securely. Dont tell the airline what is in them - they really don't need to know, since you are checking the bags.

Shoot...if I can get bottles of booze to and from the cruise ship intact, you can get these items there securely.

have fun!

WOW! I assumed it was expensive to ship to anywhere in the Caribbean. But, I had no idea how expensive. No matter what, it will be less costly to fly with the items.

Thanks for the response.

Charlie

I packed and transported our sand ceremony items in carry on baggage with little difficulty. Just wrap them well with bubble wrap, then bundle them into some t-shirts or something.

1. Don't be surprised if they open your sand container in security to check the contents if they're in your carry on on the way home. They'll just take a bit to make sure it's not something hazardous.

2. The cake cutter might be confiscated and considered a "weapon" since it's a sharp object. Make sure to check with your airline.

I packed and transported our sand ceremony items in carry on baggage with little difficulty. Just wrap them well with bubble wrap, then bundle them into some t-shirts or something.

1. Don't be surprised if they open your sand container in security to check the contents if they're in your carry on on the way home. They'll just take a bit to make sure it's not something hazardous.

2. The cake cutter might be confiscated and considered a "weapon" since it's a sharp object. Make sure to check with your airline.

If you put the cake cutter in checked luggage it will not be confiscated. Knives are not allowed in carry-on luggage (they would confiscate it if you tried to carry it on because knives are considered weapons), but are fine in checked luggage. http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#4

yea...do not even try to carry on anything that could even remotely be considered a weapon... A glass vase can be broken and used as a weapon. A knife is obviously a weapon.

Despite what anyone at your airline says, if you run into an overzealous security screener - they really have the last word.

Pack it all securely in your checked luggage. Better to be safe, than sorry!

I hadn't because whatever reason my wedding coordinator insisted I use fedex.

I am just going to pack everything in the bags. There are 18 of us going and the majority are out of Boston, so I am going to spread the wealth.

Then carrier on my dress and my toasting glasses. I hope that isn't an issue with the airline.

I hadn't because whatever reason my wedding coordinator insisted I use fedex.

I am just going to pack everything in the bags. There are 18 of us going and the majority are out of Boston, so I am going to spread the wealth.

Then carrier on my dress and my toasting glasses. I hope that isn't an issue with the airline.

I flew American with my dress from Moline, Illinois to San Juan. With the exception of the attendant from hell (MLI to Chicago) who gave me much grief about the dress (but did let me hang it up regardless), the attendants were awesome about it. I even had two stewardesses ask me to open the bag and show them the dress en route to San Juan.

The glasses will be fine in carry on.

Archived