Mexican Riveria vs. Southern Carribbean Compare the Ride

ted1717

We have cruised about 13 times in the Caribbean. The wives ( we travel with two other couples) are sensitive to the ships rocking and we have come to leave fron San Juan to avoid the problem. Oh they don't mind some motion just not too much! But after 13 times we are looking for something new and the Mexican Rivera seems a logicial place for us to go.

Will the wives hate us?? I trust these boards to find the answer. Thanks in advance!

I have done the Mexican Riveria twice and thought it was a little more "rocky" than the Southern Caribbean which I have done many, many times. I find the Southern Caribben very smooth.

We have cruised about 13 times in the Caribbean. The wives ( we travel with two other couples) are sensitive to the ships rocking and we have come to leave fron San Juan to avoid the problem. Oh they don't mind some motion just not too much! But after 13 times we are looking for something new and the Mexican Rivera seems a logicial place for us to go.

Will the wives hate us?? I trust these boards to find the answer. Thanks in advance!

Usually the MR is a little rougher on the return trips to LA or SD because the ships have to go full speed to keep their schedules and they are going against the N to S wind and currents, which can be pretty strong sometimes. So your last day or so might have more movement than you'd like.

I've just got back yesterday from a MR cruise out of San Diego (Cabo, Matzatlan, PV). The first 5 days were ok, some people who are prone to sea sickness had to wear those patches etc. The last two days were pretty rocky, I even got sick although I have never had problems with that before. I could not stay in the cabin, and had to go to the public areas, and had a hard time falling asleep. Our cabin was at the front, and sometimes coming down from a wave I felt like I was practically flying. In fact, today I am having a hard time balancing, and I really hope it will go away in couple days, as I am tired of being out of balance. I'm not sure is this is only my experience, as the previous poster seems to have had a smooth sailing, but I thought you might want to know that it can be rocky at the MR too.

Thanks to each of you for your response. You have confirmed my fears. Travel from NY to Florida can also be rough and I think it has to do with all the open ocean along the Atlantic coast. Seems that Pacific coast has same issues.

Any one else who has experince in both areas feel MR is rough seas? Does the time of year make any difference? We are considering September?

The roughest cruise we have had was this past Dec on the Elation out of San Diego. Talk about rocking, hard to stay in bed. Had pillows stuffed everywhere to keep us in bed. Also one of the smoothest cruises was on the NCL Star on the 8 day out of San pedro in Feb 06. Almost no motion feel at all. Luck of the draw I guess.

My husband is also prone to sea sickness. Our T/A told us that the Mexican Riviera could get rocky towards the end. So now I am researching it for my Grandma and me!!

If you are looking for a change, have you considered Alaska? Our first cruise was a Seattle R/T, and my husband was okay. We only went out to sea one day and the rest of the time we were in the inside passage or close to the shore line. He did feel queasy when we went out ot sea, but it was only for a bit and meclizine helped ease it right away.

Just a thought.

We also did the MR and it was not very rocky for us.(2-23-08-3-1-08) But the inside passage in Alaska is very smooth, and it should be just the ticket. It also has a very different flavor than the Carribbean.:) Trish

I know 2 different people I work with took the Alaska. Their same advice is to take it from Van Couver and not Seattle. On both cruise at different times, they both said first day is rough trip from Seattle to passage. Once you get to passage, the water is still like glass.

I been to MR 3 times and 2 out of 3 last day on cruise is rough. The one time where I did not have problem is the one time I travel on the tiny Carnival Jubilee.

Regard Welldone60 smooth sailing on NCL Star, is it an old ship? I heard that new ship even though bigger was design to be accessible on port with shallow water. Which means the portion of ship in water is not as deep like old ship. One of poster told me old ship is more stable since they are using old design which part of ship in water is deeper than newer vessels. I do not know if this is fact. Anyone care to comment?

Just off the MR for the 2nd time.......both times the same with the first and last days the worst for rockiness. I am prone to seasickness and always take my seabands. I struggle a bit even with them on the first and last days over the same patch between Cabo and LA.

I have taken an Alaska cruise out of Vancouver, and was queasy only half of the first day when getting used to the motion. My seabands fixed it promptly, and I did wear them most days...but with no further issues whatsoever.

In my mind there is no question that the MR itineray is more rocky than the Caribbean or Alaska.....so come prepared (seabands, pills, patches, correct cabin placement low midship) or choose someplace else if you want to truly enjoy all 7 days with no motion sickness.

My 2 cents.....

Everyone here is forgetting a very important point.

The seas are completely unpredictable. One day on the pacific may be very calm while the same day on the atlantic may be tearing it up and vice versa.

I am booked on my first cruise, but have been on sailboats several times. I even did a 5 day stretch on a 24' footer! The first day out was beautiful and calm, barely a ripple. 4 hours after we set sail the pacific ocean let us know just how small we really are! I'm gonna say about 6-8 foot swells with an occasional 10. You can bet that would get a cruise ship rocking, even with the stabilizers. I know for a fact that cabin choice has alot to do with how much motion you'll feel, that's just physics. stay low and to the center of the ship for least amount of pitch and roll.

To sum up, it all comes down to luck. You could catch the sea on a good week or bad week, you never can tell.

Personally, I think the pacific is slightly more forgiving than the atlantic, but then again, it's still the sea.

Take care and smooth sailing everyone!!:cool:

Time of yearand ship size matters. We have been on the rivera several times and never really had and rough sailing! Bigger ship usaully a smooth ride. Small ships rock you around alittle more but all and all should be smooth sailing for you folks. Have fun!!!! Hope this helps!!

I was on the Diamond Princess in January 07 - it was great every day except on the way back up to LA. It was terrible. My sister & I had our room on the 9th or the 11th deck, I don't remember exactly... but I remember we both had to go back down to my parents suite on the 5th floor. We were falling out of our beds in our room! It was awful - but I am sure it isn't like that all the time. I would do it again... the rest of the trrip was amazing. We were traveling with whales, dolphin, it was fantastic!

I remember that we had our specialty dinner booked for that friday night and we missed it becasue it was just too rocky!!

Archived