to exchange money or not?

cookie311

Im just wondering if I should exchange some money here in the states or dont worry about it? We are doing Acapulco, Zihuatanejo, Puerto Vallarta and Cabo..so I was thinking that it would be wise to exchange in some US money for some Peso... to pay for cab rides and purchasing product...or should I just not worry about it and just pay with US currancy?

I suggest you respect Mexico, and Mexicans - by using the local currency . . . the Mexican Peso. Getting some pesos in advance is fine, but you can also do that when you use an ATM machine in Mexico (they're everywhere you'll be traveling). Not everyone will accep the US$, and for those who do you'll almost always pay more for everything. Using the national currency helps to better understand where you're at, IMO.

Long ago back in the day when the peso was weak they did prefer the US dollar now they will accept US (like we do here in Canada) BUT it is a hassle for them (and us) to have to go to a bank and exchange the money. Mexican banks will not accept US dollars that are ripped (even slightly) or look really old, many Mexicans work 6 days a week and find it hard to even get to banks.

All bills (hydro, water, gas, etc, etc) HAVE to be paid in pesos. We go down quite a bit and have friends who live down there fulltime, we used to exchange Canadian for US and used it then quickly realized we were being rude and exchanged the US for pesos, and lost money in the exchange, it was a lesson learnt. Now we just use Atms.

A friend here in BC owns a business and as of late last year refuses to accept US money. I was just in Edmonton and one of my US guest speakers tried to use US and it was refused, it was explained he was in Canada not the States, he paid with Visa no big deal.

Most places in US won't take pesos or Canadian, but some Americans feel they should be able to use their dollars in other countries, Why??? <--not trying to be rude I just honestly wonder.

I always use whatever the countries currancy is, atms are available everywhere. Take out small amounts and what ever is leftover can be used on your next holiday :)

Happy Holidays :)

The typical exchange rate hovers around 10.7 pesos to the dollar. If you use dollars to pay for things, they will convert it to peso's at 10 to 1 so you will loose about $.07 on every dollar you spend. You can use dollars with no problem in most areas. Generally you will receive pesos in change so the more $1's, $5's, & $10's you have, the better off you will be.

It is more respectful to use their currency when you can. Because we live in San Diego, it is very easy for us to get peso's. Our housekeeper lives across the border in Rosarito and so she always gets it for us whenever we need it. We have a timeshare in Cabo and so I always take $400 in pesos and $400 in small US bills. When we pay for things directly to a person (like buying local items or giving tips), we pay in pesos. When we shop in the big grocery store or eat dinner in a restaurant, we use dollars.

I don't necessarily worry about the big grocery store or the restaurant owner having to convert my money. That's part of business. The little guy/girl on the street or the mom & pop store, I always pay with peso's. When we pay tips directly to the staff at the timeshare, we also always try to pay in pesos.

Most places in US won't take pesos or Canadian, but some Americans feel they should be able to use their dollars in other countries, Why??? <--not trying to be rude I just honestly wonder.

I don't think Americans see it as their right, just that once upon a time the almighty dollar was worth a dollar, and citizens of some countries preferred it as their local currency devalued rapidly. The Federal Reserve estimates that 2/3 of all bills printed are circulated outside of the USA.

http://www.moneyfactory.gov/newmoney/main.cfm/inter/overview?CFID=1022174&CFTOKEN=58596117

But now that the dollar tanked.........

I don't think Americans see it as their right, just that once upon a time the almighty dollar was worth a dollar, and citizens of some countries preferred it as their local currency devalued rapidly. The Federal Reserve estimates that 2/3 of all bills printed are circulated outside of the USA.

http://www.moneyfactory.gov/newmoney/main.cfm/inter/overview?CFID=1022174&CFTOKEN=58596117

But now that the dollar tanked.........

That does make sense.....Thanks you :)

Hopefully everyone will start using US dollars in the States and use the currancy of the that country that they are in (pesos in Mexico, Canadian in Canada, pounds in Britain, etc, etc).

It makes it so much easier all around!!!

Archived