Afraid of fish while cavetubing

lookingtorelax

I am trying to convince my friend to cavetube with me in Belize. She does not like to go in water with a lot of fish in it :eek: . I would love some help convincing her that she would be safe and have fun. Can anyone share their opinions on this subject? Did anyone see any fish?

DC

Like your friend, I am afraid of fish (even tiddly little ones), so was wary of cave tubing. I cave-tubed with cave-tubing.com and it was a brilliant experience (just me, my fiend and our guide on the river). Where we jumped in I could not see any fish. We then went through a long dark cave - if there were fish, I could not see them.:rolleyes:

In the second cave we were in semi-darkness and I still could not see fish. I managed to convince myself that the brushes against my leg were fallen leaves.

Once in daylight, I was much more confident in the water. I did not actively look for fish, and did not see any.

Hope this helps

Missy73

Wow! I did not think there were other people out there like me - afraid of fish. Yes, even of the teeny tiny ones!

I love the ocean (body surfing nut) and grew up "down the shore" each summer - but in NJ you can not see the bottom. Out of site, out of mind.

I understand your friends fear, but I would go. Just stay in the tube. Fish normally do not go near a lot of people getting in or out of the water - or so I have convinced myself of such.

Have fun!

Gotta say that based on my personal experiences in the caves and the river, we DID feel little fish nipping at our backsides. And I did see plenty of small fish when entering the caves, but they were just as afraid of you as you would be of them. Make sure you bring insect repellent with "Deet" as that is more of an issue than the tiny little fish :D

The tour is wonderful and you will be happy you took advantage of the beauty that Belize and this tour has to offer !

Wow! I so appreciate everyones opinion and honesty. The problem is that my friend read the responses so far. She was happy to hear that there are people who are also afraid of fish in the water. She was not very happy to hear that people felt things rubbing against their legs and biting their behinds. Thank you for the responses. I may be going without her though. If anyone else has some details, please feel free to share them. I still have some time to work on her. Thanks for everything. DC

I am trying to convince my friend to cavetube with me in Belize. She does not like to go in water with a lot of fish in it :eek: . I would love some help convincing her that she would be safe and have fun. Can anyone share their opinions on this subject? Did anyone see any fish?

DC

We just returned from Carnival Miracle (March 6th sailing) and went cave-tubing in Belize. This was an amazing tour and you will have no problems at all with anything in the water. Make sure you wear water shoes and enjoy! It is beautiful! Oh yeah.....take a waterproof/underwater camera......it is absolutely incredible. Enjoy!

DC

Well, I was very afraid too, I do not like water, do not like any critters. I did do the tubbing in Belize with cave-tubing .com (yhonny) he was wonderful. I emailed him at least 10 or more x with a 1000 questions. He called and reassured me, it would be ok. He was right. I did not feel anything brush against me, I did not see any fish, although one of the tour guide said there were minnows, (small fishes) that like to nibble on people's buttom. I did not feel any. I did keep "butt up" all the time while in the cave, just in case. Once in the light I relaxed and "butts" down. I am going again in March 30th Carnival Valor, this time bringing all the family including grandparents. When will you be there? The youngest one is 8. Tell you friend to "butts Up" and it will be ok. have fun. It is a great experience. Also try the ATV tour. It is great.

Addie

Well, I was very afraid too, I do not like water, do not like any critters. I did do the tubbing in Belize with cave-tubing .com (yhonny) he was wonderful. I emailed him at least 10 or more x with a 1000 questions. He called and reassured me, it would be ok. He was right. I did not feel anything brush against me, I did not see any fish, although one of the tour guide said there were minnows, (small fishes) that like to nibble on people's buttom. I did not feel any. I did keep "butt up" all the time while in the cave, just in case. Once in the light I relaxed and "butts" down. I am going again in March 30th Carnival Valor, this time bringing all the family including grandparents. When will you be there? The youngest one is 8. Tell you friend to "butts Up" and it will be ok. have fun. It is a great experience. Also try the ATV tour. It is great.

Addie

Addie,

Thanks for the reply. I am going to mention the "butts-up" idea to her, but I am not sure she is going to go for it. I think she needs to become a member of CC and hear from some of these people herself. I am trying to tell her how much every person enjoyed this excursion, even if they were afraid of fish. I have 10 months to work on her. Thanks again for the idea. DC

• 1 month later...

Hi:

Just back from the Legend. We (6 in our family) did the cave tubing excursion on April 24 with Major Tom. We did not see any fish while in the caves. We had a great time. Major Tom's Fun Team Crew was terrific!! Thanks George, Mike and Jr. This was one of the highlights of our cruise and would recommend this excursion. We were told that this was the dry season, the rainy season is from June - Decmeber. We had to have our "butts up" frequently due to some areas of low water. I did not see or feel any fish.

Cave-tubing in Belize should not be missed. Once you get out of the city Belize is a beautiful country. I hope you decide to try it.

. . . and I still believe that anyone who has been "nibbled" by them, imagined it--some people do have incredibly vivid imaginations, even after 10,000+ posts on these Boards. These fish couldn't open their mouths wide enough to "nibble" anything much larger than a grain of sand. You probably WON'T see any of them, and you certainly won't provide their dinner. :rolleyes:

. . . and I still believe that anyone who has been "nibbled" by them, imagined it--some people do have incredibly vivid imaginations, even after 10,000+ posts on these Boards. These fish couldn't open their mouths wide enough to "nibble" anything much larger than a grain of sand. You probably WON'T see any of them, and you certainly won't provide their dinner. :rolleyes:

I usually do not disagree with you on your posts driftwood, but on this one I do not agree with your statements regarding the nibbles from fish or seeing them. I know for a fact that those little "minnow sized" fish were visible and DID nibble or bump into our bottom halfs while in the tubes.... as a matter of fact Major Tom advised that this would possibly occur. It was not something that brought fear into anyone in the group and we all actually laughed when it occured... but it can and does happen I promise !

Don't tell me YOU weren't dreaming in those beautiful caverns! Admittedly you are more attractive to fish than I . . . . Next we'll have LHP telling us about the sharks that Ye Olde Yhonnie fought off for her while SHE was making her getaway . . . . :rolleyes:

Don't tell me YOU weren't dreaming in those beautiful caverns! Admittedly you are more attractive to fish than I . . . . Next we'll have LHP telling us about the sharks that Ye Olde Yhonnie fought off for her while SHE was making her getaway . . . . :rolleyes:

Nope, no dreaming here.....at least not while on the tour, but maybe wishful dreaming now wishing I was there at this moment !

I spoke with Major Tom yesterday regarding some clients he will be booking and they are THRILLED at the high marks Major Tom and the "Fun Crew" get on the c.c boards as well as the highest regards I have for him and his family.

I hope to be going to see how our condo construction is going in the near future and at the same time share a dinner and drink with my old buddy Major Tom !

Some of us are just luckier than others! These days I don't think I can afford postage to Belize! "Condo construction" quotha--and on Bali Hai too, a/k/a Ambergris Caye. Hope the cruisers take care not to throw trash overboard to wash up on your manicured lawn, poor lost Hemingway . . . .

Don't forget your water shoes in your next journey through Xibalba, lest those starving fish make off with all your toes! :D THEN you would have something to write about. Many of us would pay the fish money to have a bit shaved off our rear . . . . :rolleyes:

Hey Everybody,

Thank you again for the words of encouragement. I am going to keep trying to convince my friend to set her fears aside for the sake of an amazing excursion. Continued reinforcement is always welcome. Keep it coming.:)

1. In March of each year, all of the piranhas are gathered up and mailed down to Brazil, where they are more fully appreciated. Great White Sharks do not pass "GO": they are immediately sent to the Pacific Coast.

2. Unlike Travel Angel, women should NOT wear Speedos, as they might also feel nibbles. But these may not be fish. So slap the guide nearest to you. It should work.

3. The fish remaining in the Caves Branch River after the piranhas and Great White Sharks are removed are VERY VERY tiny and have lost their appetite for the season.

4. All cave fish know that they MUST GET PERMISSION FROM MAJOR TOM before they are permitted to nibble any of his clientele, however good-looking she might be. Just tell Major Tom before you enter the water that you do NOT wish to be nibbled, and you are quite safe. (It is reliably reported, of course, that Yhonny and Nacho & Cynthia CHUM THE WATERS before THEIR clients enter the river, for they have quite a sense of humor. Ha ha ha! :p :rolleyes: BUT NOT MAJOR TOM--he keeps a list of all the names of the fish, and if one of them swims out of line EVEN ONCE, it is mailed off the next year with the piranhas!)

5. This excursion is, and is intended to be, a LOT of fun for young and old, fearful and bold. The hazards are few and minimal, and the caverns are beautiful (especially if you are able to see in the dark; or bring your cat with you for a running commentary if you are fluent in cat language). Flashlights are often found to be more effective for illuminating things with the switch in the "ON" position; ask a guide before entering a cavern to read the words on the flashlight to you so you will be ready when the lights go out. As they will. This is Belize, not Carlsbad or Luray; Belizeans are already helping to save energy big time. You can help their efforts with generous tips. It is not necessary, however, to build a condo in Ambergris Caye: Travel Angel Curtis is already doing that for us. No doubt his enormous housewarming party is just around the corner--check your travel plans! :D

We have just got back from Belize and went with cave tubing dot com. Neither my husband nor I felt ANY nibbling and had our butts down most of the time. We also never saw or felt a bug. It was definitely the highlight of our trip and we would highly recommend cave tubing dot com, they did an awesome job. You're going to love it!!

Archived