Just off the Dawn Princess

Rockwife

Thanks for the review. My last few cruises were with a large group. This year it's just me and my wife on the Dawn, I'm looking forward to a nice quiet cruise for a change. I'm a bit disappointed to hear about the food, I always enjoyed their food.

I didn't think that the food was so bad. There is prime rib on the menu the first night of the cruise. It is sliced very thin.

I like a thicker piece so I ordered a double cut. It was just right. If you're an ice cream lover you can order a volcano. It's on the kids' menu-several scoops of ice cream, banana, chocolate sauce and lots of whipped cream. No cal because the whipped cream cancels out all the other calories.

As an aside, I've never been able to figure out how to place an icon on a post. How did you do it?

I didn't think that the food was so bad. There is prime rib on the menu the first night of the cruise. It is sliced very thin.

I like a thicker piece so I ordered a double cut. It was just right. If you're an ice cream lover you can order a volcano. It's on the kids' menu-several scoops of ice cream, banana, chocolate sauce and lots of whipped cream. No cal because the whipped cream cancels out all the other calories.

As an aside, I've never been able to figure out how to place an icon on a post. How did you do it?

Thanks for the heads up on the food:D...as far as the icon, go to the top of this page and click on 'User CP' tab, then click on 'edit avatar'....You can use one of theirs or upload your own:)

Hey there.... I saw you on the cruise! My GF and I said Hi a couple of times, we never did exchange names etc. I very much agree with your review. I am working on my take on it right now.

It was the most mediocre cruise I have ever been on, be that Princess or otherwise. I did enjoy the decor of ship, found it pretty, but over all a very boring experience, that is while on the ship.

My BIG complaint was the lack of activities, and the few that were offered were tremendously boring. I put that squarely on the shoulders of the CD (Gavin) and his staff. The activities were in general were akin to watching paint dry and the nightlife non-existent. So you and I do very much agree.

i

Was there a cruise director? I don't recall ever seeing him during the entire cruise. I did see several of his assistants.

Hi All,

We were on the cruise too (March 16th sailing) and I must agree about the activities and the cruise director. I've had MUCH better CD's. If you wanted to see Gavin, then you had to be at the Princess Theatre for his quick 3 minute interaction with the audience. I did not like the fact that general announcements that should have been made, were not. For example the turning forward and back of the clocks (just a smidge important!) were never mentioned. I know this is in the Patter, but one night we did not get a patter (:mad: humph!) A little more info about the ports of call would've been nice too for those that have not cruised this itinerary before. The morning shows were done by his Assistants were boring. Sitting at a table reading the Patter. OK, if you think I am being a little negative, well our last cruise was on RCI and we had Gordon for a CD and he was the best! So, I do compare CD's a bit ;)

As for the disco, it was used for Karaoke.....:confused: when we wanted to go dancing, and smoke filled too.

For the person who asked about seafood, my husband and I are seafood lover, and found it to be plentiful. During the week we had shrimp cocktail which is always offered, crab legs, lobster, scallops, crayfish, and prawns. Mussels and clams were in there too but we did not try. We found the dining experience very fulfilling....if you get my drift:rolleyes:

I did enjoy the captains reports as well. He got going with the horn when we left 2 other ships behind in Mazatlan (RCI's Vision and Golden Princess) and they tooted back and forth......fun! On the last day we woke to immense fog and the horn going every 2-3 minutes for a while.

The timing of the welcome back cocktail party was weird, as we had dinner from 5:45 till about 7:45, and the party was from 7:15 till 8. We arrived for the last 10 minutes, and the late sitting diners had to rush out for their dinner at 8pm.

Overall, we really did have a fun time on the cruise despite the pools and hot tubs being frequently closed for one thing or another. Sitting on deck right at the back was a perfect spot out of the wind and we did manage to spot a couple of whales and dolphins too!

The comedians on board were worth seeing, and the comedian/ventriloquist was really good too.

I did not mean for this post to turn into a full review, so my apologies if this is too long....but I thought I better say it while it's still fresh, and the boat is still moving for me..... I forgot about the after effects of the seasickness prone:(

Archived