Shoredive and snorkel cozumel

2moody

We are going to Cozumel on the Voyager at the end of the month. We have kids and want to do some snorkeling with them and some diving for us, but we have a baby with us that will watched by MIL so we need to do a shoredive. Does anyone know any good dive and snorkel places. I have considered Chankanaab park but am uncertain if the diving is worth while. Anyone done a shoredive in Cozumel? Or Chankanaab Park?

I did the shore dive at Chankanaab park. They take you through a little cave at the start of the dive. The cave was neat, lots of large tarpon in it. The rest of the dive was OK. It wasn't crowded at all and I was the only diver with my guide. It's a good way to dive when your traveling with nondivers!:D

Can you dive on your own, or do you have to go with a guide. Is there much to see. We love diving in Cozumel and have done numerous boat dives. Is it disapointing after boat diving?

Can you dive on your own, or do you have to go with a guide.
A guide is a requirement.

Is there much to see. We love diving in Cozumel and have done numerous boat dives. Is it disapointing after boat diving?
I haven't done the dive there, but if you are familiar with the boat dives in Cozumel, I suspect you might be a little disappointed with the shore diving there. I'd be happy to find out I'm incorrect, so if you do end up diving there it would be great to read about your dives there.

Another choice might be Playa Palancar. You can't shore dive there, but they have an on-site dive op that takes out snorkelers and divers to Palancar Reef right from the beach. The club itself is pretty low key with not a lot of activities other than food/drink and a nice sandy beach.

Can you dive on your own, or do you have to go with a guide. Is there much to see. We love diving in Cozumel and have done numerous boat dives. Is it disapointing after boat diving?

It's nothing like the Cozumel boat dives. The best part is the little cave and your in and out of that pretty quick. I did a one tank dive at playa palancar. I was gone a little over an hour, however there is no shore snorkeling for the kids. The dive at Palancar reef was great.

I did the shore dive at Chankanaab park. They take you through a little cave at the start of the dive. The cave was neat, lots of large tarpon in it. The rest of the dive was OK. It wasn't crowded at all and I was the only diver with my guide. It's a good way to dive when your traveling with nondivers!:D

Do you know if the dive op in Chankanaab has cave certified guides?

I would like to dive the cave, but won't go without somebody who is certified to at least the Intro to Cave level. You don't want to discover your buddy isn't a good cave diver 1200 feet in when you turn around and find the passage silted out!

Do you know if the dive op in Chankanaab has cave certified guides?

I would like to dive the cave, but won't go without somebody who is certified to at least the Intro to Cave level. You don't want to discover your buddy isn't a good cave diver 1200 feet in when you turn around and find the passage silted out!

If you want cave action, you want to go to the mainland and dive the cenotés, but then you probably already knew that.

A guide is a requirement.

I haven't done the dive there, but if you are familiar with the boat dives in Cozumel, I suspect you might be a little disappointed with the shore diving there. I'd be happy to find out I'm incorrect, so if you do end up diving there it would be great to read about your dives there.

Another choice might be Playa Palancar. You can't shore dive there, but they have an on-site dive op that takes out snorkelers and divers to Palancar Reef right from the beach. The club itself is pretty low key with not a lot of activities other than food/drink and a nice sandy beach.

Why can't you go on your own? Why do we need a guide? It looks like a easy dive do you know why you can't just rent your gear and go off on your own? Or is it just a money making thing? If it is $40 with a guide and $70 for a boat we might as well do the boat thing.

How close is Playa Palcancar to Chank? If we leave the rest of the family at Chanka and go over to Playa Palancar? Do you know how much a dive is there? Thanks

Why can't you go on your own?
They won't rent you gear without going with a guide.

Why do we need a guide? It looks like a easy dive do you know why you can't just rent your gear and go off on your own?
Marine Park rules.

How close is Playa Palcancar to Chank? If we leave the rest of the family at Chanka and go over to Playa Palancar? Do you know how much a dive is there? Thanks
I think it would be about 15 minute taxi ride, but you might have a wait for the boat to leave Playa Palancar as I don't think they have a set schedule. They go when they get enough people. I don't know the price.

If you want cave action, you want to go to the mainland and dive the cenotés, but then you probably already knew that.

Been there, done that, plan to do it again. But the pictures I have seen from the cave that opens in Chankanaab park show something different from my experiences in both the Yucatan cenotes and the Florida springs, so I must check it out!

There are a few tech dive agencies that can probably set me up. I have done some trimix dives off Grand Cayman, but not off Cozumel, so I need to research dive ops there.

Why can't you go on your own? Why do we need a guide? It looks like a easy dive do you know why you can't just rent your gear and go off on your own? Or is it just a money making thing? If it is $40 with a guide and $70 for a boat we might as well do the boat thing.

I did a one tank dive with equipment at Playa Palancar two years ago. I paid 47$ with the coupon from www.cozumelinsider.com

From the port it was a twenty dollar cab ride to the beach. We got there around 9:00 and the boat left at 10:00 after more people signed up to go. There were divers and snorkelers on the boat.

Playa Uvas might be another option for you. There is some shore snorkeling and a two tank boat dive offered.

Archived