snorkeling And good beach

czexrus

Can someone recommend a place that would be a good snorkeling place AND a nice beach? I heard of many snorkeling areas that the beaches are rocky.

Thanks

It is hard to find good snorkeling that isn't rocky. Chankanaab Park has a sandy man-made beach, but the entry into the water is rocky and therefore has lots of fish. If you want more beach than snorkeling you might try Playa Palancar. They have a nice beach. The shore snorkeling isn't much, but they have a boat trip out to Palancar Reef that is good. It is real easy to make a day of it at Palancar. $20 taxi one way. Not very crowded, good food, plenty of lounges and hammocks and cold drinks.

Can someone recommend a place that would be a good snorkeling place AND a nice beach? I heard of many snorkeling areas that the beaches are rocky.

Thanks

That is because a nice sandy beach where the sand goes out into the water and Good snorkeling are mutually exclusive. There needs to be a hard structure, ie: rock, for coral to use as an attachment point for growth. Sand just doesn't supply the proper hard surface for coral growth, and without the coral, there will be quite a bit fewer fish.

• 4 weeks later...

We did Fury Catamaran trip. Husband snorkels, not me. He said it was the best snorkeling he'd ever done (in 7 cruises). He got to snorkel about 55 minutes from the catamaran in the most beautiful water I've ever seen. I sat on the top deck with a good book! :p Then we went to a private sandy beach with chairs, restrooms, bar, grille, volleyball and kayaks. We stayed there about an hour and I was happy. The boat ride was fun, beautiful to see the island from the water. We both got what we wanted. Snorkeling & Beach, with a fun ride as a bonus. Oh and we don't drink though it offered free beer, margaritas and Pepsi, we drank Pepsi. :D We were worried about the "party" in the description, but it wasn't inappropriate at all. There were a few people who drank their share, no doubt. It wasn't unruly though!

Archived