Zip-lining accident???

yoemen1988

I just got off the Spirit on the 2/16-3/23 sailing. We did the beach excursion that aft and I did see a careflight coming in...did not know why at the time. There were police everywhere as we passed the zip line tour. Our boat left later than it was supposed to. Once on the boat, lots were saying it was someone from our ship. So that is all I know...evidently something bad happened, just don't know all the facts.

I think we needed a thread like this. I tend to be one of those people who just assume that everytime we do something that depends on equipment, that it's inspected and safe! This will make me double check equipment before I just happily hop on.

We have talked about going zip-lining and the only thing that stopped us was we both have bad shoulders and thought it might be too much stress on them but kept thinking we might go ahead and try it. Now, I'm not sure...

does'nt matter it's the tour that killed her,i just cant imagine the horror, i would flip out and blow a major gasket, i really feel for these guys to be there, and be able to do nothing about it,:o i wish them the best:(

I think we needed a thread like this. I tend to be one of those people who just assume that everytime we do something that depends on equipment, that it's inspected and safe! This will make me double check equipment before I just happily hop on.

We have talked about going zip-lining and the only thing that stopped us was we both have bad shoulders and thought it might be too much stress on them but kept thinking we might go ahead and try it. Now, I'm not sure...

Where in Idaho? I am in Meridian.

I have a back that likes to mess up quite a bit; I was a little worried about it, but went ahead and did the ziplining. I absolutely loved it and am very happy I tried it. I am not much of a risk taker and probably won't do it again.

Depending on the equipment you are on, we were in full seat harnesses with a bar to grab above. Tamarack doesn't have the bar above. I would think it may not cause you any problems. We did ours on the RCCL private island in Haiti.

I was like others, didn't think to look at the equipment and make sure I was all hooked up right. Don't know if that would have made a difference with this lady - accidents do happen, no matter what you do.

FYI: I have done some research and IF what is being reported on the PORTS section is true...

this was a ship tour...not an independent AND it is the same tour that Carnival uses for their ship tour.

--------------------------------------------------------

Today, 01:20 PM

caitlizzle

Cool Cruiser Join Date: Mar 2008

I was on this excursion at Gumbalimba... my mother, boyfriend, and myself were the last to zip before Barbie. We heard that she got stuck in the middle, and a guide came along to help her. He undid her safety clip so that he could get in front of her to taxi her along to the next platform. While this was happening, the line fell. I think the combined weight of the guide and Barbie was too much... she was not over the weight limit. She didn't regain consiousness, and she died in a hospital on the mainland.

Her two kids and husband are just in shock... all of us are. No one expected this to happen. Our families were vacationing together on the Spirit and we miss her so much.

------------------------------------------------------

I just got off the Spirit on the 2/16-3/23 sailing. We did the beach excursion that aft and I did see a careflight coming in...did not know why at the time. There were police everywhere as we passed the zip line tour. Our boat left later than it was supposed to. Once on the boat, lots were saying it was someone from our ship. So that is all I know...evidently something bad happened, just don't know all the facts.

Do you know which tour operator this horrific accident took place at? I have asked several others, and no one seems to know for sure.

Do you know which tour operator this horrific accident took place at? I have asked several others, and no one seems to know for sure.

This was an NCL passenger on a ship tour.

It was Gumbalimba Park....which is also the Carnival ship tour.

I have read that NCL has now pulled that excursion from its list of available tours. I don't know if Carnival will do the same.

Where in Idaho? I am in Meridian.

I have a back that likes to mess up quite a bit; I was a little worried about it, but went ahead and did the ziplining. I absolutely loved it and am very happy I tried it. I am not much of a risk taker and probably won't do it again.

Depending on the equipment you are on, we were in full seat harnesses with a bar to grab above. Tamarack doesn't have the bar above. I would think it may not cause you any problems. We did ours on the RCCL private island in Haiti.

I was like others, didn't think to look at the equipment and make sure I was all hooked up right. Don't know if that would have made a difference with this lady - accidents do happen, no matter what you do.

We are in Idaho Fall - clear across the state but know your area well. Daughter was involved in the Snake River Stampede for several years!

I would love to try zip-lining. Maybe our next cruise after this one as we have our 11 mo old grandson cruising with us this time and booked excursions that everyone could be involved with.

"Oh yes, so much better to trust the safety in the USA, where cranes fall off the sides of buildings, bridges collapse, and tunnels cave in. Everyday stuff that we drive/walk by on a daily basis."

AMEN to that!!!! thats what im talking about!!! lets not leave the house, we could get hit by a bus. Wake up people.

We are in Idaho Fall - clear across the state but know your area well. Daughter was involved in the Snake River Stampede for several years!

I would love to try zip-lining. Maybe our next cruise after this one as we have our 11 mo old grandson cruising with us this time and booked excursions that everyone could be involved with.

My husband was just in Idaho Falls 2 weeks ago buying a dirt bike. I guess it must have been a really good deal to drive 6 hours for it.

What did your daughter do in the Stampede? We watch it about every other year. You must remember the old stadium. I assume you have also seen the Idaho Center that it is now in? Quite the improvement.

Well, there went my chances of ever doing the Zipline, oh well... back to Scuba.

There are many incidents on Cave Tubing also, one was posted here on cruise critic and also my x and daughter and people that went on one of those Cave tubing excursions almost all bit the bullet too.

Fred

My husband was just in Idaho Falls 2 weeks ago buying a dirt bike. I guess it must have been a really good deal to drive 6 hours for it.

What did your daughter do in the Stampede? We watch it about every other year. You must remember the old stadium. I assume you have also seen the Idaho Center that it is now in? Quite the improvement.

She was a rodeo queen - Miss Teen Rodeo Idaho 2001 and then competed for MRI - 1st runner up - but went back to another love - dancing. We were also at the Idaho Center for state basketball games a few times.

Where did he get his bike? Action Motor Sports? Another daughter was the assist manager at Rexburg Motor Sports and then a salesperson for Action.

I can see why you like ziplining if your family is also into dirt biking! My family has spent a lot of time biking as well.

Archived