What about the Dzibilchaltun ruins?

vital1

We will be in Progresso for the first time in July and really want to visit the ruins. Was going to go with Uxmal but it has disappeared from the Carnival site. Has anyone been to the Dzibilchaltun ruins? I'd love to see Chichen Itza but after reading about the crowds I'm not so sure. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.:)

We will be in Progresso for the first time in July and really want to visit the ruins. Was going to go with Uxmal but it has disappeared from the Carnival site. Has anyone been to the Dzibilchaltun ruins? I'd love to see Chichen Itza but after reading about the crowds I'm not so sure. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.:)

We did Dzib. thru Carnival on our first trip to Progreso. Nice tour, but after 7 cruises I would book thru a local. There are several tours available in town and some include Uxmal. Check out AutoProgreso, they have some good tours for 25% to 35% less than the ship tours, plus they are less crowded.

We have been to both Uxmal and Dzibilchaltun this past year and our favorite definitely is Uxmal. You might try checking with Carnival directly and see if Uxmal will be offered. I cannot imagine them not offering an excursion there. Dzibilchaltun is much closer and much smaller than Uxmal. The largest structure is the Temple of the Seven Dolls (see following picture). There is an interesting museum on the site.

47b7cf04b3127cceb105f05f2d5600000046100QZNGrZm3bsR

The following is a picture of the Pyramid of the Magician and the House of Turtles at Uxmal.

47b7d729b3127ccebbebcbd9841900000056100QZNGrZm3bsR

We enjoyed both excursions but Uxmal was definitely our favorite. Along with the Dzibilchaltun excursion, we went to a nearby ranch and had a luncheon buffet and then a horse show. Both excursions got back to the cruise terminal with about an hour to shop at the shops located there.

I will add that we visited Uxmal in the middle of June and it was very hot. I highly recommend good walking shoes, sunscreen, and a hat. We took no insect repellent nor did we need any. Lunch is provided and was fresh and tasty. Food and drinks are available at Uxmal and they have several gift shops. Hope this information helps. Have a great cruise! Travelgirl

Archived