Is Insurance Necessary?

swdke

I was wondering how many people actually buy insurance. We'll be taking a Baltic cruise next July, and I am debating on whether to take travel insurance. Can anyone offer advice or suggestions that might help me decide? Thanks in advance.

Ok, How old are you and your family (Mom, Dad)? Is anyone having any problems that may make you cancel cruise without warning? If you are injured over there can you affort to fly back without help? What sort of work do you do? If you are someone who works outside, with his hands, dangerous job etc, then I would get insurance. It is important to get it as soon as you book your cruise so pre-existing conditions are covered, however, if every one is healthy including mom and pops then you can wait till final payment but I would get it asap.

The big thing is medical evacuation. Was on a cruise where passenger had to medically airlifted from Cancun to Miami. He didn't have insurance and is cost him $12000.00 (twelve-thousand dollars). How much do you think that would be from the Baltics?

I personally always take the insurance. It is a resonable outlay of money for the piece of mind that it gives you.

Ultimately the decision is yours to make and you have to deal with any consequences that may arise should you choose not to purchase insurance.

mcboo

We never used to for 2 reasons:

- I thought that insurance did not cover pre-existing conditions so it would

be wasted for my husband. Last year I found out that most

policies do cover them as long as you buy the insurance within 10 days

of booking.

- I also figured that since we had medical coverage, the worst we could

lose would be our fare - not a happy thought, but not a disaster either.

However, I changed my mind about insurance when when my husband had a heart attack in Panama and I found out that air evacuation to Miami would have cost about $70,000. Luckily he did not need it, but we still had to pay our fare home which cost about $700, enough for insurance for five 7 day cruises. Now we always buy it.

Archived