Valetta, Malta...what to do?

Ok so if I understand, If I do the 4hr tour of Mdina and Mosta that will leave no time for Valetta, so what would you all recommend? Spend the day in Valetta and skip Mdina this trip? Or is Mdina more the must see? Then sounds like I could do Valetta on my own, how is best to spend the day then?

I used to live in Mosta before we moved to Ibrag and since i was brought up in Mosta it still holds a special place in my heart but if you are after the cultural spots in Malta i would choose valletta and/or mdina and skip mosta this time. There is a wonderful church there which one may say was built similarly to the pantheon in rome, has a huge dome and also a miracle since during the war it was hit but the bomb did not explode! Between Mdina and Valletta that is a tough one! :( Can't you choose both?

I used to live in Mosta before we moved to Ibrag and since i was brought up in Mosta it still holds a special place in my heart but if you are after the cultural spots in Malta i would choose valletta and/or mdina and skip mosta this time. There is a wonderful church there which one may say was built similarly to the pantheon in rome, has a huge dome and also a miracle since during the war it was hit but the bomb did not explode! Between Mdina and Valletta that is a tough one! :( Can't you choose both?

I dont know I guess I'd have to ask you that, I am in port from 7am and must be back on ship at 1:30. Is that enough time to do both?

I dont know I guess I'd have to ask you that, I am in port from 7am and must be back on ship at 1:30. Is that enough time to do both?

that means you have around 5 hours here ... that would mean skimming through both places or else seeing one very well. You could do both if you find an excursion of else even by bus but it will take you longer to arrive from one place to another due to the traffic (here in malta we only have a couple of bus lanes) and all the stops the bus would need to make.

Valletta is only 10 max 15 min from the Port although it is uphill .. just to let you know! :D

You will find lots of shops in Valletta ... main brands like mango, Dorothy Perkins, Next etc are all found in the main two streets of Valletta. Re the eat i would suggest venturing in the side streets or else walking down Republic street but not where there are the shops ... venture a bit downwards and find a more quite spot to wind down and relax after a cultural day in Malta :D

P.S. yes the cake at fontanella is really good and quite a big portion! .. the view is fantastic .. the only down side of it is that the service there is not the best in malta, but if you know about it and decide to ignore it .. you will have a good time.

Is it true that all the shops are closed on Sunday in Valletta? We have a tour scheduled leaving Valletta but may have at least an hour there (4:00pm -5:00pm on a Sunday) before boarding our ship for a 6:00pm departure. What is open on Sunday? I assumed the Cathedral is closed by that time?

Is it true that all the shops are closed on Sunday in Valletta? We have a tour scheduled leaving Valletta but may have at least an hour there (4:00pm -5:00pm on a Sunday) before boarding our ship for a 6:00pm departure. What is open on Sunday? I assumed the Cathedral is closed by that time?

I found their website http://stjohnscocathedral.com/visitor-info.html and it is closed on a sunday .. most prob due to mass. Re the shops yes as well unfortunately they will be closed on sunday. In the morning there is a market though in valletta and some shops may be open at the waterfront for the cruise liners.

I found their website http://stjohnscocathedral.com/visitor-info.html and it is closed on a sunday .. most prob due to mass. Re the shops yes as well unfortunately they will be closed on sunday. In the morning there is a market though in valletta and some shops may be open at the waterfront for the cruise liners.

Thanks!

Btw, is the Cathedral in the Mdina open on Sunday? We are scheduled to go to the Mdina first.

that means you have around 5 hours here ... that would mean skimming through both places or else seeing one very well. You could do both if you find an excursion of else even by bus but it will take you longer to arrive from one place to another due to the traffic (here in malta we only have a couple of bus lanes) and all the stops the bus would need to make.

Well since I'd rather really see your island I guess I'll do Valetta and all it's offerings and Mdna will have to wait for another visit:( Thats ok means I have to come back:) Thansk so much for answering all these posts it's nice to hear from someone who lives in Malta!!

Well since I'd rather really see your island I guess I'll do Valetta and all it's offerings and Mdna will have to wait for another visit:( Thats ok means I have to come back:) Thansk so much for answering all these posts it's nice to hear from someone who lives in Malta!!

i am sure you will love our little island and come back again to visit other places of interest! :D Just remember that in summer it is quite hot over here!

We visited Malta on the Golden Princess in 2002. It is an amazing city, one of our favorites. Make sure you are on deck when coming into this beautiful city. We explored on our own by taking a taxi at the pier. The taxi driver, at his suggestion, took us first to the San Manton Gardens. It was nice, but we would have preferred to have skipped this. We then stopped at Mdina, a medieval city that was Matla's capital before Valletta was built and should not be missed. The Cathedral of Sts. Peter and Paul is there as well as beautifully preserved buildings. It really felt as if we stepped back in time. We stopped in the town of Mosta and the Assumption Church. What a beautiful church! During the 1942 bombing raids, a bomb entered the church through the central dome during a packed service. Miraculously it did not explode and no one was injured. He then drove us to what he referred to as "the other port" of Malta, which I am sorry to say, I don't remember the name. The scenery was amazing. Our final stop was in the city of Valletta where the Church of St. John is located with the burial places of the Knights of Malta. We walked back to the ship from town which was maybe a ten minute walk. In any event, it wasn't very far. Yes, it is hot in Malta. This white city, because of the stark white of its buildings, can be covered with a thin white dust visible on cars, etc. Malta brings back so many wonderful memories and is definitely a city we are so happy we were able to visit. Enjoy!!!

Do you recall how long this tour took and the cost??

Can anyone tell me more about the glass factory that is in/near Mdina? I've looked at their website and their pieces look amazing. I thought it would be fun to visit the factory - do they give tours??

that is the mdina glass factory. You can find their products in shops around mdina and Valletta. I agree they are very nice and poshy souvenier to take home from Malta. I visited the Factory when i was young so do not remember much about it but i am sure you can go there and they would do tours... the thing is how to arrive from the cruise ship ... since it is not in mdina but in Ta Qali which is about 10min drive from mdina so not that far but if you do not have a car it can be a bit of a walk in the heat. I suggest to send them an e-mail and ask them if they will offer transport from and to mdina or the cruise ship for example if you are a big group.

Hi, I'm Maltese and live in Malta. If anyone needs to ask something I will be glad to help as much as I can.

Welcome spajke! I will be in Valletta from 7-2pm only and am trying to decide if I should spend time in Valletta alone or taxi to Mdna also. Are they close and could I do bith in this short time frame? Thanks,

Lee Anne

Welcome spajke! I will be in Valletta from 7-2pm only and am trying to decide if I should spend time in Valletta alone or taxi to Mdna also. Are they close and could I do bith in this short time frame? Thanks,

Lee Anne

Hello, it all depends what you like, In Valletta there is a lot of Museums that you cannot miss, St. Johns Cathedral is a must, You can do shopping there. Valletta is very close, Its about a 10 min walk. Depending on when you are coming also because it might be very hot. I suggest you go to Valletta, and then if you have time, which I doubt, you can take a taxi to Mdina. It takes about 20 to 25 min depending on traffic.

Hi,

does anyone know if you can take a boat or bus from Valletta to the Blue Grotto and then snorkel in there?

I never took a boat from Valletta to Blue Grotto ... so not sure if you can though i doubt it. It is best to take a bus to Blue Grotto and then take the boat from there. Yes you can snorkel in the vicinity depending on the water currents.

Hello, it all depends what you like, In Valletta there is a lot of Museums that you cannot miss, St. Johns Cathedral is a must, You can do shopping there. Valletta is very close, Its about a 10 min walk. Depending on when you are coming also because it might be very hot. I suggest you go to Valletta, and then if you have time, which I doubt, you can take a taxi to Mdina. It takes about 20 to 25 min depending on traffic.

Thank you so much for quick answer. If I do go to Mdna I heard Fontanella's is not to be missed for tea and cake. Do you now what time it opens so I dont miss if I go?

Thank you so much for quick answer. If I do go to Mdna I heard Fontanella's is not to be missed for tea and cake. Do you now what time it opens so I dont miss if I go?

http://www.starwebmalta.com/homepage.asp - on here you can find some photos of fontanella. Not sure though its opening hours, but i think it opens quite early and stays open, so i am sure you will manage to go and take a piece of cake there! :D

Can anyone tell me more about the glass factory that is in/near Mdina? I've looked at their website and their pieces look amazing. I thought it would be fun to visit the factory - do they give tours??

Yes, Mdina glass is worth a visit. Beautiful items for sale and you can actually watch them glass blowing.

Archived