Need help with baby food on cruise

dianfarmer

We are cruising with a 6 month old. I hate the thought of taking all that babyfood . With the airline limiting us to one check in piece of luggage now I don't know how I would ever get it all packed. Not counting the weight limit. I know some of you will say to buy the food before getting on the ship but we are sailing out of San Juan and heaven knows where I will be able to find it. I was wondering if the dinningroom would puree veg and fruit for me

Hi- Note sure what cruiseline you are traveling on, but at DCL they have always been great about preparing babyfood. I would imagine most cruiselines would do the same with the number of families cruising these days. We used to have a very small portable food grinder that we would take wherever we went - sorry the name of it escapes me - but it was small and perfect for travel & didn't use electricity - you may want to take a look online to see what is out there. Good luck! :)

They should do it for you but keep in mind that the veggies might be seasoned and at 6 months that might not go over so well. I don't know how soon you are traveling or if you have already started baby food or not but you could delay starting solid foods if you wanted to. Personally our doctor didn't recommend starting anything more then rice cereal until 6 months so we just delayed that by a couple more weeks and waited until the cruise was over. Another option for you would be to take a food mill with you, I just bought a KidCo travel food mill to take with us in May and I will just take a few jars for "just in case" situations.

At that age, you could probably get away with mashed up bananas, soft cooked carrots, maybe some eggs and mashed potatoes - all of which can easily be smushed up at the table. Most cruise lines should also have cheerios available. You could probably get away without bringing any baby food at all as long as you can smash the food up with your fork.

We are cruising with a 6 month old. I hate the thought of taking all that babyfood . With the airline limiting us to one check in piece of luggage now I don't know how I would ever get it all packed. Not counting the weight limit. I know some of you will say to buy the food before getting on the ship but we are sailing out of San Juan and heaven knows where I will be able to find it. I was wondering if the dinningroom would puree veg and fruit for me

Hi dianfarmer :)

When we took a Holland America cruise that included our then ten month old granddaughter, the cruise line gave us an infant request form for our daughter to fill out which included baby food.

However, we did not use that option. We stayed at a hotel in the port city, Ft Lauderdale, the night before our cruise. Then on the morning of our cruise our daughter went to a supermarket that was across the street from the hotel and bought what she needed.

This way she didn't have to bring it on their flight and by the time she had it it was just a matter of taking the cab from the hotel to the cruise ship.

It worked out very well and I would recommend this approach.

Archived