Lahaina or Ioa Valley

vickwick

For the 2nd day in Maui (ship departs 2:00pm) I'm trying to decide whether to do the Lahaina on your own excursion or the Ioa Valley. The 1st day is out because we are doing the Hana Picnic excursion. I would love to see Lahaina and Kaanapali beach area, but I'm worried about not having much time. Ioa Valley also looks nice, but will I see similiar on the Hana trip? Which of these 2 places is the must do?

our tour operator in maui (sunrise bike tour) equated the Iao Valley to a mini version of the Road to Hana... So knowing that, we skipped the Iao since we had already done the RTH.

A day in lahainia was really enjoyable...

Having done the trip up to the Iao Valley it is nothing that I would rush back to see. It is interesting but not spectactular. For my money I would do the self tour of Lahaina it is extremely interesting and quite beautiful.

For the 2nd day in Maui (ship departs 2:00pm) I'm trying to decide whether to do the Lahaina on your own excursion or the Ioa Valley. The 1st day is out because we are doing the Hana Picnic excursion. I would love to see Lahaina and Kaanapali beach area, but I'm worried about not having much time. Ioa Valley also looks nice, but will I see similiar on the Hana trip? Which of these 2 places is the must do?

We spent a week on Maui last October and we have done both in the past. Lots of shopping in Lahaina plus the famous Banyan tree. Whaler's Village on Kaanapali beach is a nice place to shop plus it is right on the beach.

The Iao Valley is not far and if you saw it early, you would still have some time to shop in Lahaina. Maybe not enough time to stroll Kaanapali Beach but you could see a little of Lahaina. I'm not sure if your ship leaves from Lahaina or Kahului.

Here is a picture of the famous Iao Needle in the Iao Valley State Park. Travelgirl

47b7ce04b3127ccebf73033bc0e900000035100QZNGrZm3bsR

I am going on Pride of America in July and I just looked at the shore excursions and they don't have the 'Lahaina on your own' any more. How else could you get there and make it back in time for the 2:00 sail?

Rental car is really the only option unless you want to take a taxi. I've heard about some "set price" taxis at the pier that do r/t to the west side for $25/person, but I have no details and don't know if they are there on day two or if it's even a regular service. Taking a regular taxi would be at least $150 r/t, which is not cost-effective, IMO.

beachchick

Personally, I would also consider driving up to the top of Haleakala in the early morning if the weather is clear...we thought the view from the summit was one of the most spectacular sights we have ever seen, and you could easily do this with an early start.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I have booked the "Lahaina on your own" excursion with NCL. The bus will leave at 7:00 am and drop you off in Lahaina and then the bus will pick you up again and have you back to the ship in time for the 2:00 pm sailing. So we will probably have about 4 hours or so in Lahaina. Hopefully, that will give us enough time to look around, shop, and get a look at Kaanapali beach.

I'm thinking there is something wrong with the NCL website for shore excursions. I called them instead and they said they still had the 'Lahaina on your own' excursion for the second day even though it is not showing up. I booked it through them and I'll just hope for the best. Thanks for your suggestions.

Archived