Emerald Photos of Quad Mini-Suite with Beds Pulled Down

cyberfilly

We're booking the Ruby for winter 2009 when itin's come out. There will be four of us: Mom, Dad, DD14 and DS11. We're trying to decide whether to book one quad mini-suite for all four of us (foregoing the larger, partially covered balcony) or book two staterooms on Caribe deck: a regular balcony room for two and an interior room for two (directly across the hall). Pricing is similar.

What I'd LOVE to see are some photos of her sister ship the Emerald mini-suites with the two extra beds pulled down.

That looks good. We are going on Star with 4 of us in a quad, without the mini suite, but a balcony. I am wondering how that can even work... Any pictures of that??
Three in a balcony is tight (we've done that), four would be REALLY tight. If the mini-suite isn't a great deal more, you'd have significantly more room.

Les

Three in a balcony is tight (we've done that), four would be REALLY tight. If the mini-suite isn't a great deal more, you'd have significantly more room.

Les

I hear you, but we'll have to experience it ourselves to see just how tight. We're two adults and two kids in a midship upper deck balcony quad on the CB in August. We looked into doing this in a mini suite, but the lack of mid deck quad ones immediately removed that as an option (spouse is highly motion sensitive and we've learned from experience to stay away from bouncy bow and stern locations!)

Well today I called my TA and they called Princess and I switched to Mini-suite. Didn't want to spend the extra money, but I wasn't about to have one of my large sons sleeping over my head. I wonder how much weight they support????? They are about 215, which isn't bad, but still, I am going on a cruise, NOT going to camp.....

Just turned 50, and didn't feel like being in a bunk bed. I am sure with younger children it might be ok, but I like the layout of the other rooms.

This is where I am spoiled. 2 Disney cruises, and much bigger and nicer rooms. Even though they weren't expensive catergories, their layout is nicer.

2 Celebrity cruises, and last year was a family room, that would sleep 5, it was incredible. So much room.

Toto2Kansas: I am ever so grateful that you posted that picture.

How can I ever thank you enough. They told me the room that I had, the 2 twins beds could NEVER be pushed together. So I am so glad that you posted that, and I read it, it will be a much nicer time.

Thanks to cruise critic.........

Oh Yes, and Thanks so much to you.

BTW Wizard of Oz is one of my very favorite movies of all time. Even though it isn't Disney.

I am a Disney fanatic.... Was orginally booked on the Disney cruise to Mexico this summer, and switched in Feb. over to Princess to Alaska....

So thank you again for the pictures. They really helped..

We had a balcony quad on the Emerald in the med last year. We had a double pushed against the wall a pullman above the inside of the double and a rollaway near the balconly door. It was a bit cramped but we made great use of the balcony at night when kids were in bed and for breakfast each morning while the kids lay in bed watching tv.

So far we've only taken the kids on RCCL but we're thinking about Alaska next summer and I've heard Princess does the best job for that. Does anyone know if Princess has connecting rooms? From the talk here, I'm guessing not. Definitely need to think this through as far as space (and sharing a bathroom) goes.

TIA!

So far we've only taken the kids on RCCL but we're thinking about Alaska next summer and I've heard Princess does the best job for that. Does anyone know if Princess has connecting rooms? From the talk here, I'm guessing not. Definitely need to think this through as far as space (and sharing a bathroom) goes.

TIA!

Princess has a few ships with connecting cabins. Best to check out the deck plans of those doing the itineary you are looking for. And definitely BOOK EARLY if you find one as there aren't too many with connecting staterooms.

Well today I called my TA and they called Princess and I switched to Mini-suite. Didn't want to spend the extra money, but I wasn't about to have one of my large sons sleeping over my head. I wonder how much weight they support????? They are about 215, which isn't bad, but still, I am going on a cruise, NOT going to camp.....

Just turned 50, and didn't feel like being in a bunk bed. I am sure with younger children it might be ok, but I like the layout of the other rooms.

This is where I am spoiled. 2 Disney cruises, and much bigger and nicer rooms. Even though they weren't expensive catergories, their layout is nicer.

2 Celebrity cruises, and last year was a family room, that would sleep 5, it was incredible. So much room.

Toto2Kansas: I am ever so grateful that you posted that picture.

How can I ever thank you enough. They told me the room that I had, the 2 twins beds could NEVER be pushed together. So I am so glad that you posted that, and I read it, it will be a much nicer time.

Thanks to cruise critic.........

We had three adults in a Disney cabin in December and I thought we were really cramped, even with the extra couch area; you made the right decision for Princess!

If this pricing is similar I would go with the balcony with the inside across the hall as this will give you the extra bathroom that you won't have in the mini. However you also have to be comfortable about having the children in a seperate cabin.

We are a family of four and when our kids were about the same age as yours we booked the mini for the four of us and it was great.

The next couple of trips, to save a bit of money and gain a second bathroom, we booked 2 insides. We put one adult and one child in each room, because that is what we felt most comfortable with, but the room steward offered to put the kids in one room and the adults in the other so that option would be available for your consideration.

I think you will be very happy with the mini. One child will sleep in the berth that comes down from the ceiling the other will sleep on the sofa's hide a bed ( sort of like bunk beds)

I am happy about the mini... I really doubt that we will be on a trip again with both of our boys for a while. In less than a year the 18 yr old will go and serve a mission for our church. So that will be at least 2 years anyway.

We thought about doing the room across the hall but there wasn't anything on the same floor and we didn't want to do that. I will probably be sorry about not having the extra bathroom. But my 18, and 15 yr old boys and their dad, my DH they are so close. It is really fun . They are kinda like the 3 musketeers. So I thought it would be fun to all be together. Our other 4 daughters think this is awful that they don't get to go. But 2 are married, 2 are in college, so it is just the boys trip this time.....

Thank heavens my SIL and brother and nephew are going too, that way I can hang out with her....

• 5 weeks later...

toto2, We are in a minisuite balcony on the Island Princess in June. I was happy to see that the fold down bed was over the sofabed in the picture you showed. When I called princess this AM, I was told that in our cabin C721 on the Island Princess, that the fold down bed is over one of the twins!! This just gets worse and worse!! So, caveat emptor, all ships are not created equal I guess! (I will prepare to be pleasantly surprised if it is actually over the sofabed :0

Molly

Edited to add that I will definitely take pictures and post them when we get back!

toto2, We are in a minisuite balcony on the Island Princess in June. I was happy to see that the fold down bed was over the sofabed in the picture you showed. When I called princess this AM, I was told that in our cabin C721 on the Island Princess, that the fold down bed is over one of the twins!! This just gets worse and worse!! So, caveat emptor, all ships are not created equal I guess! (I will prepare to be pleasantly surprised if it is actually over the sofabed :0

Molly

Molly, I actually have no idea. That is a picture I found of one on the Caribbean Princess (different class of ship), did not take it myself. Hopefully you will be surprised and find it is the same. When someone asks for a picture, I just do a search on webshots hoping to find one, no guarantees at all, especially on different classes of ships in the fleet. Best of luck with this though.

Well, as I was scanning other posts, someone said that sometimes the reps at princess don't know what they are talking about!! So I called back, after looking on cruise personalizer and seeing that the bed config was listed as convertible, and another rep said they would be able to make them a queen, but they couldn't change that in the computer, just to ask the steward when we arrive. I sure appreciate everyone on this board!!

Molly

We travel with our now 17 YO DD and always opt for a mini suite now that she is older because there is just no room in anything less for 3 adults. In less than a mini many cabins are so tight that everyone has to be sitting down while one person is walking around - and definitely only one in the BR at a time..

When my DD was younger, we got an oceanview with pull down bed and it was the worst - it was right on top of the queen size (2 twins pushed together) and she had to walk on our bed to get to hers. Also, when she sat up to get down, her hair got caught on the fire sprinkler and she pulled out a large clump - so needless to say, the extra $$ for a mini suite with pull out couch is a life saver for us all and would be my recommendation.

Good luck with whatever decision you make - Enjoy!!!

Well, as I was scanning other posts, someone said that sometimes the reps at princess don't know what they are talking about!! So I called back, after looking on cruise personalizer and seeing that the bed config was listed as convertible, and another rep said they would be able to make them a queen, but they couldn't change that in the computer, just to ask the steward when we arrive. I sure appreciate everyone on this board!!

Molly

Molly, I agree with what you have read. If you call Princess CSR's three times, you are liable to get three different answers. Most I feel answer questions acurately to a point, but not to a specific stateroom category questions. You'll have to let us know what you found when you get back from your cruise. And don't forget, pictures are welcomed. ;)

Archived