FV Cabins on Century

Screwbit

We've just booked a Med. cruise for '09 on the Century. I've booked an FV- Family Verandah on Vista Deck(#9245). Always enjoy watching the wake from a cabin like this. Have done Century before, but that was b4 the refurb. Any observations/thoughts/wisdom about these staterooms would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, folks!

We've just booked a Med. cruise for '09 on the Century. I've booked an FV- Family Verandah on Vista Deck(#9245). Always enjoy watching the wake from a cabin like this. Have done Century before, but that was b4 the refurb. Any observations/thoughts/wisdom about these staterooms would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, folks!

Wow, I will be in that exact stateroom next month for a Transatlantic! If you repost this in Mid to late May I can give you a first hand account.

Here is what my research has turned up:

Good Stuff

*Deck Nine FV's had balconies expanded post-retrofit and are larger than Deck Eight FV's (two people on Cruise Critic posted this). Room may have two lounge chairs in addition to two regular chairs and small table.

*Spacious Room; can divide living area from bedroom area with a sliding door - so almost like a mini-suite.

*Lots of storage.

Bad Stuff

*Bed is in an awkward position and is surrounded by three walls, so person on inside of bed has to crawl over person on outside of bed.

*Hard to see TV from bed.

*Can be very noisy when ship pulling into/away from ports.

We were in FV 9255 on Century for a five day cruise in Jan. We loved it but read pros and cons regarding this particular room. My thoughts - the balcony is the highlight, huge, plenty of room for table and several chairs plus two loungers. Half of veranda covered, other half in the sun. I actually liked this so I could lay in the sun when I wanted but you have to be OK with those above you being able to have full view of you. Able to hear some of the conversations above (which are suites but according to the gentleman speaking to his butler must have a smaller veranda). It wasn't intruding enough to bother us. Could also hear the music from bar above that but not too loudly and only occasionally. The room is large since it was set up for a family of five. It was terrific for DH and I. Only a double bed next to the wall and closed in at the foot by the room divider. Wasn't a problem for us but one does have to climb over the other to get out. Would have been nice for the one next to the wall to have a shelf for glasses, book etc. but we survived. Thought the length may be a problem for 6'3' husband but not to worry. Tons of drawer space, so much we couldn't fill. Good sized couch, two chairs and table. BR the same size as any other cabin. All in all we would book it again in a heartbeat. Enjoy- ooh and the Med - how wonderful. Our favorite itineries.

We were on Century October 2007 and we unexpectedly were upgraded to a family veranda suite. We loved the room (9247)! We especially loved being at the very back of the ship. The view was always spectacular and although we have read that many people can't take the noise, it didn't bother us at all (the vibration from the engines). We got up early anyway. So I would certainly recommend these rooms.

Archived