Bug spray needed for cave tubing in April?

bernieb86

On my tours with Major Tom, he provided insect repellant in his buses.... but we made sure we brought our own just in case. He recommended using a product with "Deet" which we purchased locally..... worked great and had no probs with those little flying buggers !

• 2 weeks later...

[30% DEET--watch for allergies and read the instructions]. . . everywhere we went in Belize, and it worked quite well. It is generally available for sale in Belize, and doesn't seem to cost any more there than it does here, which reinforced our feeling that we had the right product--but of course, when you are launching off on a shore excursion you don't want to spend time shopping for bug spray if you can avoid it! :D

Mosquitoes are generally available throughout Belize and I would not let anyone advise you otherwise. Though they did not penetrate our outer defenses, we could hear them very distinctly. And coming from Swampland, VA, we know what they sound like!

Little biting no-see-ums are also common in Belize City itself, so I would spray--very lightly is enough--before leaving the ship on your tender.

Archived