MSC Opera PAX

blndmn1

Thanks AmoMondo! We leave in about two weeks, so it is seeming like it is finally getting here, after a year of waiting!

Do you have any suggestions of things not to be missed, or things to avoid? I really enjoyed Sparky1664's comments, and would love more of the same!

Was the weather cold and rainy? It certainly didn't snow in the middle of the summer, did it? I'm a little worried about the weather for our trip, but am packing mostly for cold and rain, so I won't be disappointed if that's what we get. I guess I wouldn't be thrilled if it was so cloudy and foggy that we couldn't enjoy the view from the balcony!

Sorry for the delay in replying _ I wasn't ignoring you - I was away on the Opera's sister ship the Lirica for the best part of 3 weeks! As far as things not to be missed, I only went ashore at Visby and Stockholm ( because I sprained my ankle). Visby there is not a lot to see or do, just woander about and explore the little streets, and shops and observe the very scandinavian and somewhat old world architecture.

As far as the weather ent it was not that cold. I'd be extremely surprised if you got snow at that time of year. The temperatures I had were between 10 and 17 centigrade. Did get a fair bit of rain (but thankfully just showers not all day). That said I was in Copenhagen the previous year and because it was a good summer in Northern Europe got mid twenties most days. You can never tell what you are going to get when it comes to North Europe. Your plan to prepare fro cold and wet sounds sensible although I would take some lighter weight clothes too. The layering approach works well! As far as visibility goes, you'll get great views from your balcony. Remember the days are longer there than in southern Europe so you are likely to have daylight quite a while. Even although it can be cold it doesn't necessarily mean cloud or fog. You are more likely to get clear skys. Also there are points in the baltic Sea where it is so narrow that you observe land and buildings on both sides of the ship (around estonia if my memory is correct)

Not long to go now - have a fantastic time. Oh and if you enjoy cocktails and a yarn with a barman with loads of amusing tales, look out for Carlos in the Piano bar - he is so entertaining

Hi AmoMondo- thanks for the kind words. We are very much looking forward to the trip and hope that all the bad press we have been reading about the Opera has been wrong or that Capt. and crew have made drastic changes to improve whatever those who had bad trips on her felt was wrong about it.

The thing is with MSC, that people either love it or hate, there is no in between. Those that love it tend to be those that enjoy European culture and the mix of nationalities and language, that view things that are different from they are as home as interesting rather than wrong. Those we hate it, tend to be American or British who have like things to be as they are used to and see the differences on MSC as wrong and spend a lot of time and energy trying to get it changed or complaining about it in the hope it will change. Whatever your outlook, no one can dispute that they are fantastic value for money and have amongst the cleanest ships on the sea. Their admin can be somewhat chaotic though. I'm sure you will enjoy yourself enormously

Hey Timmy1- No travel docs here yet! This is the latest they have ever arrived before an HD trip. I know that the intermountain GM (who is also coming on the trip) called to inquire yesterday, and was told that MSC had had some sort of problem which caused the delay but that they should be sent out very shortly. I'll feel fine as long as they get here in the next few days, but for some reason I'm anxious to have them in possession! Maybe we'll run into you on the ship!

AnoModo- Thanks for the info!!! I really appreciate those tips! It sounds like you had a fabulous time on the Lirica! Having traveled through Europe before and experienced things like no ice for drinks, I'm pretty sure that sort of thing won't ruin the trip for me. It will be a fun adventure to be around new and different people. I would worry about my parents not feeling the same, but they went on a cruise up the Volga river in Russia on a Russian cruise ship about a decade ago, and although my mom could hardly find anything she could stand to eat, they had a wonderful time and wouldnt' have traded the experience for anything, so I'm sure they'll be fine here too.

My husband and I fly out one week from tomorrow! Woohoo!

we never received a thing from MSC for our Sinfonia trip a week from Sat-but we have a confirmation email from our booking agent. I am used to getting nice little packets from cruise lines. For example on our 7 night cruise I am not sure of the various dress codes. I have some idea based on general experience, but who knows? we have had to hassle the poor guy at ***** endlessly for info about embarking time and other details we wish the cruise line would tell us. We are still showing up though-hell hath no fury if this is messed up and I show up at that port in Rome.

All in all I am wondering if MSC is a bit a slip shot operation given some of the reviews. We booked last minute (in cruise world at least about 30 days out) and got a great deal. We could never match it booking hotels, trains, planes, etc to so many European destinations. I am trying to tell myself it will be like riding an overnight tramp steamer ferry boat that goes to amazing destinations. This way, we will less likely to be dissappointed. I promise to report back

Hey Timmy1- No travel docs here yet! This is the latest they have ever arrived before an HD trip. I know that the intermountain GM (who is also coming on the trip) called to inquire yesterday, and was told that MSC had had some sort of problem which caused the delay but that they should be sent out very shortly. I'll feel fine as long as they get here in the next few days, but for some reason I'm anxious to have them in possession! Maybe we'll run into you on the ship!

AnoModo- Thanks for the info!!! I really appreciate those tips! It sounds like you had a fabulous time on the Lirica! Having traveled through Europe before and experienced things like no ice for drinks, I'm pretty sure that sort of thing won't ruin the trip for me. It will be a fun adventure to be around new and different people. I would worry about my parents not feeling the same, but they went on a cruise up the Volga river in Russia on a Russian cruise ship about a decade ago, and although my mom could hardly find anything she could stand to eat, they had a wonderful time and wouldnt' have traded the experience for anything, so I'm sure they'll be fine here too.

My husband and I fly out one week from tomorrow! Woohoo!

Well with that attitude you will all definitely have a great time! bet you can't wait to go

we never received a thing from MSC for our Sinfonia trip a week from Sat-but we have a confirmation email from our booking agent. I am used to getting nice little packets from cruise lines. For example on our 7 night cruise I am not sure of the various dress codes. I have some idea based on general experience, but who knows? we have had to hassle the poor guy at ***** endlessly for info about embarking time and other details we wish the cruise line would tell us. We are still showing up though-hell hath no fury if this is messed up and I show up at that port in Rome.

All in all I am wondering if MSC is a bit a slip shot operation given some of the reviews. We booked last minute (in cruise world at least about 30 days out) and got a great deal. We could never match it booking hotels, trains, planes, etc to so many European destinations. I am trying to tell myself it will be like riding an overnight tramp steamer ferry boat that goes to amazing destinations. This way, we will less likely to be dissappointed. I promise to report back

I'm a huge fan of MSC but even I will admit that the admin sometimes can be a bit chaotic. This does not apply once you get onboard, in my experience. They do normally send you a blue velcro sealed packet that have deck plans, luggage labels, etickets for flights, embarkation guides and a booklet of info on the ship. I've sailed with them 7 times and all but one time got everything 2-3 weeks before sailing. One time, my TA seemed to have some sort of problem with a final invoice (although I'd already paid her when I booked in full as it was a late booking) and I didn't get my tickets until 5 days before sailing

Archived