School Prinicpal call about days off?

Lewski709

I got a call from my 3rd grade Principal about the amount of days my son will be off. It was supposed to be 6.5, but one of those days was a snow make up day and now it's 7.5 because they have to make up the day. She wants me to call her back and her message was short, kinda aggravated and said something about missing 9 days. I don't know where she got that calculation, but whatever. I don't want to call her. It's not like my plans will change. :rolleyes:

As a parent, I appreciate that the principal cared enough to call. As someone who works for our Department of Education, I'm pleased he's calling you on it. Of course, what you do with your children is your decision -- but the school should make you aware of any possible ramifications that go along with your decision. And I understand, from most people's perspective, missing time out of grade 3 isn't a deal breaker. But different states/provinces/school divisions, etc have different policies on what happens.

Here, pulling a child out of school for a vacation is an "unexcused" absense. Which means any work, tests, exams, etc. that is given during that period is granted a zero. But it is the principal's responsibility to ensure that you are aware of any issues that may impact your child. Again, probably not an issue in Grade 3 but something to keep in mind as the child gets older.

Rather than view it as a negative, be happy the administration actually plays an active role in your child's education!

First of all, let her know you appreciate her attention into this matter. Think of the "at risk" kids she is probably looking out for. If you got "caught in the net", relax.

Second, straighten her out on her calculations. Obviously there's an error and you can nicely point it out.

I would also mention that you're making this trip while he's still young but old enough to enjoy it and get something out of it.

Our schools here in France are super-strict. More than 5 missed days and I'm supposed to write the Academic authority (please don't make me translate the title) and I was scolded for visiting my parents at Xmas in the States. Luckily, the principal now intercedes and doesn't report their absences to the Academic authority because she knows they need to see their family and practice English. C

Can you imagine if I took them out for a cruise??

So we go at the peak of summer crowds and my children are hardly off the boat thanks to crowds and heat. But that's our lot...

She's just doing her job and when she hears that the days are off and that you have your childs' best intentions at heart, she'll understand.

If not, too bad, right? Not like you're changing anything at this point!

Good luck!

I would be annoyed too. When I was younger my parents always took us on vacation and we were pulled out of school. Honestly I see nothing wrong with it as long as nothing major is going on. And in 3rd grade, I doubt anything major is.

Thanks.

I am just surprised because they don't fail kids for grades here, at this early stage of the game. Not to mention, he's only missed 1/2 day of school all year because of illness. I mean, if he was out with the flu it really would not be much different, with how bad it has been here this year.

We did the cruise this year because next year we'll have two in school full days and thought it better now, earlier age. Unfortunately, this is the time that works for us as parents and only with Uncle Sams help in the refund dept.

What I am annoyed at is that I wrote a note explaining we will be out of the country. I could have just as easily called him in sick, daily. This kid has been on honor roll every report card. He's not a habitual school misser. The school gets credits paid for attendance. He can do any work while we are gone, regardless if he gets credit or not I would make it get done.

I'm letting my husband talk to her. He'll be more polite than I. Not that I would be rude, just somethings are better left for the mediators of the family. ;)

Thank you no child left behind. Your school is actually being graded on attendance due to this lovely piece of legislation. So because you probably have an attendance problem at your school, nevermind that it's not you, your principal has to call you on it. We are allowed 5 family travel days a year and will be taking the kids out for 2.5 more for a cruise. Not sure how they are going to take it, but it's the first time I've EVER exceeded the allowed number of days and my kids are in 1st and 4th. Oh well.

I feel your pain. We booked a cruise in 2006 for April 2007. In my experience, spring break fell the 3rd week of April every year. The 2006/2007 school calendar wasn't available when I made the plans. Turns out spring break is the 3rd week of April (it is this year), except when it isn't because of the way Easter falls. It honestly never occurred to me that a public school system would adjust it's spring break sometimes based on Easter.

Fast forward to when I get the school calendar, and I realize that our trip did not include the spring break time. So, for our 12 night cruise, with a couple of days pre-cruise, DS was missing TWO weeks of 2nd grade, and State-mandated testing!:eek:

I made an appointment with his teacher before the final payment was due, and told her the whole story, making clear that if it was really a big deal, we would reschedule. She encouraged us to go, and I planned some extra educational things for DS to do relating to the places we'd be visiting (Italy, Greece and Turkey). She even cleared it with the principal, and got her go ahead as well.

He actually had spring break the week before we left, and the school refused to give him the work to do because his absence was classified as "unexcused".

I also got a terse letter upon our return, advising that if he missed more than 20 days in a year (he'd missed 12), a meeting must be scheduled to address whether or not he would move on. Sigh. He didn't miss any more the rest of the year.

FWIW, he's had a perfect attendance record this year! And, the 2008/2009 calendar is not yet available!:rolleyes:

Enjoy your cruise!:D

Controversial issue. Sometimes it is not in the child's best interest for them to miss school. Unless you can get the work missed.

Math, in particular, is hard to make up. It doesn't just come naturally and is taught sequentially.

I have two kids but they both had to work hard in school. My youngest is 7 and I don't mind him missing a day here and there but an entire week would be tough for him and me.

How can I as a parent let him do poorly in school. It wouldn't be fair to him.

They have so much time outside the classroom. In Maryland they get 22 vacation days per year- no including Christmas or summer vacation! So I do my best to make travel plans within this framework.

Believe me the temptation is there but I'd feel bad if he was stressed out about school prior to the trip or coming back.

Controversial issue. Sometimes it is not in the child's best interest for them to miss school. Unless you can get the work missed.

Math, in particular, is hard to make up. It doesn't just come naturally and is taught sequentially.

Well, I guess I am fortunate that my sons best subject is math and his worst is writing.

Oh and he'll be able to make up the work missed.

Update: the principal wanted to warn us that when he is in HS that 5 days is excused and beyond is not. Um....ok, he's in 3rd grade. Secondly, she said they were trying to be a 4 star school and last year they missed it by thousands of a percent. :rolleyes: Well, it is nice that she wanted to update us on the school....you'd think they would try to announce that at the beginning of a school year. Not that I know, anyhow, what a 4 star school means.

We pull our kids out of school every year for a week in October; and we have for 5 years. We get an independent contract and all their work before we leave. They complete their work before we go and they get credit for being in school that week, as does the school.

I have also told teachers in the past that I may pull my kids out of class at any given time for a fun day. They have all said it was a great idea.

I've pulled my kids out the past 2 years. Our school encourages you to turn in a "Request for Educational Trip" form. That way, they can mark the child "excused" instead of "unexcused" and then the school still qualifies for whatever funding they get since he wasn't exactly absent. I don't understand the logic, but whatever works ;)

Here's my philosophy on the subject. What is the purpose of going to school? It is to learn the material. It is the school's responsibility to teach and it is the student's responsibility to learn. If your son/daughter is learning what he/she is supposed to, what difference does it make where he/she learns it? I think that our government and school systems have become too overbearing with their attendance policies. In our school system, if one misses more than X number of days, they fail. That is true even if they know all of the material and make straight A's on exams of the material. How ridiculous is that!? It is not the government's job (school) to make sure that one goes to school. It is their job to teach. As long as your kid is learning the required material, it really is none of the government's business where he/she is learning it. Now, if there is a problem with learning the material (ie: the kid falls behind) due to absences, then it becomes an issue. In my mind, it is as simple as that.

I am facing this very same issue at the end of the month. My husband's company has given us a cruise and we could not pick the date as it is a group thing. Last time we went we left the kids with my parents. But this year that is not possible. So we are taking them with us. I have 2 dd's in 6th and 1 ds in 8th. I spoke with the principal about a month ago and got his approval. Then I emailed all their teachers and asked if they could get some homework together for the kids to work on before we go. I also promised they would be available everyday after school when we get back until they are caught up. Our school has a 10th period that is scheduled just for getting caught up in classes and for extra help. It's a great idea. I will be emailing all the teachers again in about a week to remind them we are going and see what I can do to help keep the kids on track. So far the teachers and the principal have been very encouraging. We actually have spring break two weeks before we go so I told the kids they will be doing their catchup work all that week. And other then that, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.:D

We had gotten a letter from our daughter's school principal. The 5 vacation days were considered unexcused absenses, despite the fact that our daughter (3rd grade) completed all assignments, did extra reading and handed in a hand written travel journal for her class. The teacher thought it was great, but the principal had the problem with it.

I would understand, but the letter also said that vacation days were unexcused absences, but that court appearances were excused. Next January, we will let the principal know that our then 4th grader is a career criminal and has 5 concurrent court appearances. That way her absences will be excused. ;)

Eric

Thank heavens schools in Ontario are not like this. I will be pulling out

daughter out of school for trips if need be.

How would they like if you pulled them permanently and home

schooled them?

With No Child Left Behind, many school would be much happier. Then they wouldn't have to worry about the potential of your child pulling their statistics down, thus impacting their funding.

Have you talked to your school about this? My step-son attends school in Ontario, and their perspective isn't much different. Though it probably depends on the school, and the student's performance.

We had gotten a letter from our daughter's school principal. The 5 vacation days were considered unexcused absenses, despite the fact that our daughter (3rd grade) completed all assignments, did extra reading and handed in a hand written travel journal for her class. The teacher thought it was great, but the principal had the problem with it. Eric

My thoughts exactly, Dr DNA.

This is exactly what we are doing. 5 days are excused but the others are not. The unexcused absences are not our issue, they are the schools.

He's doing a travel journal, remember before I said his worst subject was writing? I think the journal will actually encourage his writing of more than 3 sentences in a 30 min period.

We were coordinating the trip with 2 other families, so it had to be when it had to be. Unfortunately, spring break did not coincide.

BTW, DH called and went in to talk to her. Someone had asked if we called back.

Archived